Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

1 minute ago, ledies22 said:

I think your skepticism is okay.  I guess my response would be ... Why not Matta. Why not surround yourself with the best possible/willing people to help out. Being the right guy is not synonymous with not needing help.

Would Juwan been thought about for any other program outside of Michigan? Penny for Memphis? 

i like the Matta part a lot, but it does seem a little weird that e is needed if Woodson is so great.  i don't think Matta would have been needed for Beard, Musselman, Oats, Drew, Altman, etc.  also, Penny is a bad example.  he is a terrible coach and already got in trouble for breaking the rules.  still want to see Howard down the road.  he has Martelli and inherited a great situation.  

18 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm trying not to keep posting negatives right now, but how about if he's the right guy, why does he need Matta?  or the question of would any other high profile program have considered him for their coaching vacancy?  but just because he's an IU guy, he is the right hire?

There isn't a coach in the world that doesn't try to add great coaches to their staff... Nick Saban does it more than ANYONE and he's the most successful coach in the world, currently. I'm legit not understanding that question at all. 

Huge to add Matta. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i like the Matta part a lot, but it does seem a little weird that e is needed if Woodson is so great.  i don't think Matta would have been needed for Beard, Musselman, Oats, Drew, Altman, etc.  also, Penny is a bad example.  he is a terrible coach and already got in trouble for breaking the rules.  still want to see Howard down the road.  he has Martelli and inherited a great situation.  

My reading of Dolson’s comments is that Matta is there to assist Dolson as much as Woodson

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I think just for random college stuff he wouldn’t know. Like how to navigate the book full of NCAA rules. How to deal with parents. Help build relationships with AAU and high school coaches. Help build staff; what to look for in college level assistants. Etc., etc..  He can be ‘the guy’ but still need help in the areas he lacks. No college coach is perfect in all aspects of the job. I’m glad he’s humble enough to accept help in areas he’s lacking. Many have said the Avery Johnson failed due to a lack of support in the program - he was just thrown into the deep end. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Between2Halls said:

I take that as more attention being given to the basketball program. I really like the Matta addition. 

i definitely like the Matta part.  only part i like.  i'm just saying if Woodson is so great, why is Matta there?  would Matta ave been hired if we had an experienced college coach?

• Like 1

Larry Brown? Are we going to go after Al Mcguire,  or Rollie Massimino next? Maybe Denny Crum or Digger Phelps? I kid, and I mean no to disrespect to those who have passed. Just the first thing that came to mind. I remember how RMK used to hve older coaching buddies like Iba around. I pulled for Archie to succeed, but I am really pulling for CMW. He may be able to show that there is still a little gas in the tank

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There isn't a coach in the world that doesn't try to add great coaches to their staff... Nick Saban does it more than ANYONE and he's the most successful coach in the world, currently. I'm legit not understanding that question at all. 

Huge to add Matta. 

The best surround themselves with the best. Nobody knows everything.  So fill in your knowledge gaps with those who know what you dont. 

For example, I could fund a project and frame a house but I dont know electrical, so I'm hiring the best electrician I can afford. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so because we are fans, we should just agree with everything that our program does and support everyone no matter what the results are and never question anything?  what about when you turned on Archie after arguing with me non stop bout how i should support him?

Do what you want but why not go in with an open mind and not judge a hire before game one had been played

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i definitely like the Matta part.  only part i like.  i'm just saying if Woodson is so great, why is Matta there?  would Matta ave been hired if we had an experienced college coach?

The part that intrigued me was the talk about collaboration. I can appreciate someone wanting to surround themselves with quantity people who can make the whole better. My question would be if another coach would be comfortable with Matta being there?

22 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

dang Scott!  this is the same stuff you were saying when people turned on Archie, then you became the most vocal against him of everyone!  we are members of a message board.  we are not going to be able to help the IU bball program regardless of whether we are positive or negative.  Mike Woodson is gonna have to do that without our help.  

That was after 4 years and not 2 hours after the press conference announcing the hire.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Do what you want but why not go in with an open mind and not judge a hire before game one had been played

Everyone that thinks he is going to be great is judging the hire just as much as the ones that don't. They think he is going to be great and the others don't, both sides are the same but just disagree with the outcome.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Every great coach out there had to have guys to help him.  Phil Jackson took his assistant to each job to teach the triangle offense

3 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Everyone that thinks he is going to be great is judging the hire just as much as the ones that don't. They think he is going to be great and the others don't, both sides are the same but just disagree with the outcome.

Never said it was a great or home run hire but going to give him my support

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Never said it was a great or home run hire but going to give him my support

So far everyone that I have seen that didn't like it or was lukewarm towards the hire still said they would give him and IU their support and hopes that he works out.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That was after 4 years and not 2 hours after the press conference announcing the hire.

Bro, you turned on CAM in the matter of a week and began criticizing him for all the the things you said was not okay for a true fan to do the week prior. You broke the ‘Scott code’ but it was okay for you to do because you are Scott. And then started arguing with his defenders! 

Should we all be living in a Scott world where Scott is always right?

@NCHoosier32 has the right to think and speak as he pleases. Disagree with him and move on. Stop being the thought and content police officer.

Sorry for butting into the argument, but I’m tiring of these derailments. It’s like Groundhog Day in these threads sometimes. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

So far everyone that I have seen that didn't like it or was lukewarm towards the hire still said they would give him and IU their support and hopes that he works out.

What does going on social media and ripping the hire for everyone to see help the program

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Bro, you turned on CAM in the matter of a week and began criticizing him for all the the things you said was not okay for a true fan to do the week prior. You broke the ‘Scott code’ but it was okay for you to do because you are Scott. And then started arguing with his defenders! 

Should we all be living in a Scott world where Scott is always right?

@NCHoosier32 has the right to think and speak as he pleases. Disagree with him and move on. Stop being the thought and content police officer.

Sorry for butting into the argument, but I’m tiring of these derailments. It’s like Groundhog Day in these threads sometimes. 

That would make the world a lot better place to live LOL!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1