Movies

MoyeCowbell

24 minutes ago, rico said:

I love Will as well.  But man, he could have handled that a lot differently.

So I remember back when Gard should have been charged with assault for putting his hands on Howard getting in his space etc.. yet no charges filed on a blatant assault.  It's a comedian telling a joke. Grow up people 

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Oh there is no question about that. I would just say, imo, wives are off the table... so are children. 

So you could basically never tell a joke about women. Plenty of them are wives. The monologue is a roast. Why should anyone e be off limits. There have been Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein jokes before

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

So you could basically never tell a joke about women. Plenty of them are wives. The monologue is a roast. Why should anyone e be off limits. There have been Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein jokes before

Yes, I agree, there shouldn't be jokes with wives and children in them... I don't really see why that's far fetched. Why should anyone be off limits? Idk... because it isn't that hard to be a decent human being and not talk about s*** that is way below the belt. You can't expect anything less from a POS like Chris Rock, but I would have assumed even he could catch on to something like that. 

especially night wives with a disease. If you make fun of my wife that has a disease, regardless of national TV or not.... you might get smacked. 

Which is all I said to begin with... if you make jokes about people's wives w/diseases... you might get smacked. 

Edited by btownqb

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Yes, I agree, there shouldn't be jokes with wives and children in them... I don't really see why that's far fetched. Why should anyone be off limits? Idk... because it isn't that hard to be a decent human being and not talk about s*** that is way below the belt. You can't expect anything less from a POS like Chris Rock, but I would have assumed those comments shouldn't be uttered. 

especially night wives with a disease. If you make fun of my wife that has a disease, regardless of national TV or not.... you might get smacked. 

Which is all I said to begin with... if you make jokes about people's wives w/diseases... you might get smacked. 

It's a comedian. That's what they get paid to do. All the actors and actresses are in the line of fire. Might be tasteless but it's a joke. I could see if it were me making the joke but that is what Chris Rock does for a living. 

• Like 1

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

It's a comedian. That's what they get paid to do. All the actors and actresses are in the line of fire. Might be tasteless but it's a joke. I could see if it were me making the joke but that is what Chris Rock does for a living. 

I don't really care lol 

Make a joke about something else. It's not that difficult. Why would Chris Rock need to make a joke about her disease? 

Will Smith was wrong. Period. So was Chris Rock. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't really care lol 

Make a joke about something else. It's not that difficult. Why would Chris Rock need to make a joke about her disease? 

Will Smith was wrong. Period. So was Chris Rock. 

Why makes jokes about anything.  Everything in today's world crosses a line. It was fine to make jokes about Michael j fox and his steady hands.  They are called jokes maybe not funny but man we have become so overly sensitive in this world. If that were on the street and someone offended my wife, then yes but in a roast that's kind of what is expected.  Will thought it was funny until Jada have him the look. 

I'm sure Will has never offended anyone with his comedy

• Like 2

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Why makes jokes about anything.  Everything in today's world crosses a line. It was fine to make jokes about Michael j fox and his steady hands.  They are called jokes maybe not funny but man we have become so overly sensitive in this world. If that were on the street and someone offended my wife, then yes but in a roast that's kind of what is expected.  Will thought it was funny until Jada have him the look. 

I'm sure Will has never offended anyone with his comedy

It isn't fine to make jokes about MJF's hands either. 

Ok, then is she allowed to go smack him?

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Haha.. to each their own. 

Will looked like a fool. Hate saying that, one of my favorite actors of all time.... not a fan of a movie or two, but oh well.

Fresh Prince, Independence Day-- two of all time greats 

Don’t forget about others like I Robot, I Am Legend, The Men in Black franchise, the list goes on!

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

Don’t forget about others like I Robot, I Am Legend, The Men in Black franchise, the list goes on!

Love MIB!! Not huge on SciFi haha ... just not my thing. I know those were very big movies though! I mean he is as big as it gets, really!

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If Will Smith did the exact same thing for the exact same offense when the cameras were turned off, he would have been applauded for standing up for his wife.

Disagree wholeheartedly.  Most rational thinking adults realize it's comedy. All he did was make himself look l8ke a big jackass with no self control. IMO if he did it anywhere else his rear-end would rightfully have been arrested

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Disagree wholeheartedly.  Most rational thinking adults realize it's comedy. All he did was make himself look l8ke a big jackass with no self control. IMO if he did it anywhere else his rear-end would rightfully have been arrested

It's a total joke...and both Smith and Rock will profit from it...

Rock already has...his two shows last night, although all ready sold out, had ticket prices skyrocketing into the thousands. Every show will sell out. He'll be in high demand on talk shows and such...as will Smith...I'm surprised there hasn't been talk of a pay per view boxing match yet...

The rich get richer...the average American would get a number board, 3 hots and a cot...

Frankly, I'm tired of the whole thing...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

So, if I walked up to you in a non-public place, with no one there but you, your wife, and me, and I proceeded to make a snide remark about her appearance, you would just let it go?

Maybe you would, and that is fine.  But, a lot of people outraged by his actions are only acting that way because it was Chris Rock (i.e. a celebrity) he hit and it was done in public. 

Meanwhile, in the scenario where only the three of them are present, the 'jokester' gets his bell ring 75% plus of the time.

It cant be right in one of those scenarios and be wrong in the other.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

So, if I walked up to you in a non-public place, with no one there but you, your wife, and me, and I proceeded to make a snide remark about her appearance, you would just let it go?

Maybe you would, and that is fine.  But, a lot of people outraged by his actions are only acting that way because it was Chris Rock (i.e. a celebrity) he hit and it was done in public. 

Meanwhile, in the scenario where only the three of them are present, the 'jokester' gets his bell ring 75% plus of the time.

It cant be right in one of those scenarios and be wrong in the other.

You're missing one important piece here...Chris Rock was getting paid to entertain not only the attendees, but 10 million watching from home. It's his job to tell jokes make people laugh. He'd basically implied Javier Bardam's wife was a beeyotch right before that by saying if he won and she lost, he'd be miserable. Don Rickles made a friggin career out of insulting people...It's comedy...

In your scenario, the person making the remark might think it's funny, but that's just plain rudeness...It would also depend on who said it...Good friend? I'd ask them to apologize. Stranger? I wouldn't smack someone over a joke about my wife's hair (or lack thereof), but I'd say something letting the person know that was BS and probably insult them back...if it escalated past that, so be it...But I wouldn't raise the first hand... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Cmon... have you been in a bar?