Movies

MoyeCowbell

So tonight the kid at the counter had a Friday the 13 hat on, I asked him what his favorite horror movie was and he paused thinking maybe Scream! Because it was one of the first horror movies he watched at his age! I suggested from the 50’s Forbidden Planet! Am I wrong?

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

For those of you who've watched Dune: 2, what are your thoughts?

I absolutely loved the first one and thought this entry was visually incredible. I think I need a second watch to confirm/change my thoughts on the story.

It's amazing that just one book has been adapted over 5+ hours of film, and I still feel a lot of helpful scenes were left on the editing floor. Like Paul's turn. It all stays largely true to the book, with Chani's character changing a bit, especially at the end. I think she's the audience surrogate, to tell us bluntly what to think of Paul when there somehow wasn't time for a more nuanced approach.

I truly hope we get an extended edition, like with Lord of the Rings. Also like that series, I think it would be neat to attend screenings where you watch both parts consecutively. Although filmed separately, it's clear this project was always meant to be viewed together. 

It's a pantheon achievement in sci fi filmmaking, for sure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maedhros said:

It's amazing that just one book has been adapted over 5+ hours of film, and I still feel a lot of helpful scenes were left on the editing floor. Like Paul's turn. It all stays largely true to the book, with Chani's character changing a bit, especially at the end. I think she's the audience surrogate, to tell us bluntly what to think of Paul when there somehow wasn't time for a more nuanced approach.

I truly hope we get an extended edition, like with Lord of the Rings. Also like that series, I think it would be neat to attend screenings where you watch both parts consecutively. Although filmed separately, it's clear this project was always meant to be viewed together. 

It's a pantheon achievement in sci fi filmmaking, for sure.

Totally agree. It's definitely a wealth of source material that's challenging to streamline. And fair or not, the truncation of some elements took away (for me) the emotional weight and potential effectiveness of several important "gut punch" story beats: the familial revelation and Paul's turn.

Other than that, my only gripe comes from the handling of the Harkonnens/Sardukar -- the "less is more" approach in the first film made them mysterious and extremely dangerous. Seeing more of them in 2 took away that danger, and what we did see wasn't original enough. A lot of their presentation fell into classic 'villain' trope territory.

That said, there were a ton of positives. The cinematography, locations & sets, sound design, costuming and casting were superb. Javier Bardem brought a nice bit of levity, while Zendaya handled Chani wonderfully, giving us exactly what we needed emotionally, while foreshadowing so much that is still to come.