Movies

MoyeCowbell

21 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Can anyone think of a sequel that was actually better than the original?

I'm looking forward to seeing the next Spiderverse movie in the theaters. But the first movie is one of my favorites so I'm prepping myself ahead of time that this new one won't be as good as the original. That's just too high a standard.

I felt the same way about How To Train Your Dragon. Genuinely, even as a 40 year old man, that's my favorite movie. The two sequels were fine, but couldn't reach the heights of the first.

I guess everyone acknowledges Empire Strikes Back as better than Star Wars. And the Dark Knight was better than Batman Begins. Not sure there are many others.

first two that popped into my head... as you mentioned The Dark Knight, and the second one would be Maverick.

22 hours ago, Maedhros said:

I'm looking forward to seeing the next Spiderverse movie in the theaters. But the first movie is one of my favorites so I'm prepping myself ahead of time that this new one won't be as good as the original. That's just too high a standard.

I felt the same way about How To Train Your Dragon. Genuinely, even as a 40 year old man, that's my favorite movie. The two sequels were fine, but couldn't reach the heights of the first.

I guess everyone acknowledges Empire Strikes Back as better than Star Wars. And the Dark Knight was better than Batman Begins. Not sure there are many others.

Godfather 2

Rocky IV

Terminator 2

...those were the ones that immediately popped in my head. 

6 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Godfather 2

Rocky IV

Terminator 2

...those were the ones that immediately popped in my head. 

The Godfather II is close, and although I think Terminator's story is better, I can understand liking the CGI of II ...

But Rocky IV? Most people consider that the very bottom rung of the whole Rocky/Creed franchise...

Edited by IUFLA

On 6/8/2023 at 9:07 PM, IUFLA said:

The Godfather II is close, and although I think Terminator's story is better, I can understand liking the CGI of II ...

But Rocky IV? Most people consider that the very bottom rung of the whole Rocky/Creed franchise...

Only because Rocky 5 doesn't exist. 

Rocky

Rocky 2

Rocky Balboa

Rocky 4

Rocky 3

Creed is just Rocky repackaged. I still watch them though. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 3:32 PM, Maedhros said:

Every Star Trek movie since the 1st is better.

• 3 weeks later...

Went and saw "Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny" last night... Pretty good. They let action overtake storyline for a while, but overall not bad. Not even close to being as good as the original, but for movie making nowadays, pretty good.

Last weekend we went to Wes Anderson's "Astroid City." So bad we left 2/3rds of the way through... 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Went and saw "Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny" last night... Pretty good. They let action overtake storyline for a while, but overall not bad. Not even close to being as good as the original, but for movie making nowadays, pretty good.

Last weekend we went to Wes Anderson's "Astroid City." So bad we left 2/3rds of the way through... 

We were unintentionally on Hollywood Blvd during our vacation the day of premiere. Red carpet was laid out and hoards of people dressed up like Indy.  We left before the event, however, due to other reservations.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IUFLA said:

That's good to hear. Was wanting to see it theaters since I was the size of a peanut when the first 3 came out. 

No chance I was going to see Asteroid City. The trailers on TV were terrible and all I got from it was Wes Anderson was the director, whoever the hell that is. 

• Like 1

Driving to work today, listening to an 80's station, and a Ferris Bueller reference was made.  Admittedly, I dont keep up with movies any longer, but it got me wondering whether they even make movies like that any more.

The only movie I even know that is in the theaters now is Indiana Jones.  Seems like big action flicks and biographies are the only types of movies I hear about any more.

Has there even been a movie in the last 10 years that would be equivalent for this generation (16-25 year olds) as Ferris Bueller's Day Off was in the 80's?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Driving to work today, listening to an 80's station, and a Ferris Bueller reference was made.  Admittedly, I dont keep up with movies any longer, but it got me wondering whether they even make movies like that any more.

The only movie I even know that is in the theaters now is Indiana Jones.  Seems like big action flicks and biographies are the only types of movies I hear about any more.

Has there even been a movie in the last 10 years that would be equivalent for this generation (16-25 year olds) as Ferris Bueller's Day Off was in the 80's?

I don't think so. When I was in high school it was American Pie. 

Anymore they just keep making Marvel and DC comic movies. And then remaking them. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2023 at 10:52 AM, 5fouls said:

This is exactly what you referred to, Fouls.

19 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm always late to the party on movies but just watched A Man Called Otto. Really good stuff. Half way into it I found myself saying of course Hanks picked this script. He doesn't choose poorly.

We watched it a few weeks back. The subject of suicide was hard as it hits close to home but it was an excellent movie 

• Like 1

Went to see Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning pt#1 last Saturday and Oppenheimer yesterday.  Obviously, very different types of movies, but enjoyed both and would recommend each one.  Both are lengthy with MIDR being around 2 hrs 45 minutes and Oppenheimer just over 3 hrs.  Dead Reckoning PT #2 won't be out until next summer.  Won't give any details, but I'm wondering if we could see the MI franchise making some character changes??  Also, if you go to see Oppenheimer, be on the lookout for an actor from The Santa Clause movies.   😉😁

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

Went to see Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning pt#1 last Saturday and Oppenheimer yesterday.  Obviously, very different types of movies, but enjoyed both and would recommend each one.  Both are lengthy with MIDR being around 2 hrs 45 minutes and Oppenheimer just over 3 hrs.  Dead Reckoning PT #2 won't be out until next summer.  Won't give any details, but I'm wondering if we could see the MI franchise making some character changes??  Also, if you go to see Oppenheimer, be on the lookout for an actor from The Santa Clause movies.   😉😁

Bernard! I like David Krumholtz. 

He was in a TV series called Numbers. You'd probably like it.

I'm a science nerd by birth and choice. Can't wait to see the movie 

23 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Bernard! I like David Krumholtz. 

He was in a TV series called Numbers. You'd probably like it.

I'm a science nerd by birth and choice. Can't wait to see the movie 

I couldn't immediately place him, but I knew the face...but from where?  My wife told me when we got home. LOL!!  I think you'll like it.  It's a great cast with quite a few big names...like Bernard.   😁

I

59 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I couldn't immediately place him, but I knew the face...but from where?  My wife told me when we got home. LOL!!  I think you'll like it.  It's a great cast with quite a few big names...like Bernard.   😁

My wife and I (mostly my wife!) Loves Christmas movies. The Santa Clauses are her favorite.  

Oppenheimer, It's on my list

Edited by mrflynn03

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

I

My wife and I (mostly my wife!) Loves Christmas moveis. The Santa Clauses are her favorite.  

Oppenheimer, It's on my list. 

Have you ever seen the TV show Numb3rs?  He's in it. It's a pretty good show. 

My wife used to watch it.  Where the neck was I??   😂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

For me, I knew him from 10 Things I Hate About You. My first thought seeing him was, uncharitably, that he's gotten fat, but that happens to more than a few of us in our 40s. Lots of "hey, it's that guy!" reactions for me during Oppenheimer, like Tim DeKay as a senator, or even Josh Hartnett, who I don't think I've seen in anything since Penny Dreadful. It even took me a few scenes to realize I was looking at Robert Downey Jr.

Good movie, but perhaps half an hour too long. Lots of exposition in the second half, when the film has to resort to monologue as a device to tell you what's happened. There's an aide who doesn't even get a name in the credits who has to stand in as the audience surrogate to basically get the story dumped on him. The film wants to be about two things, the witch hunt against suspected communists, and the morality of researching and developing the bomb. I found the latter more interesting, as the former has been done in any number of previous movies. Would have been a tighter movie if Nolan had focused on one or the other, instead of wanting to have his twist.