Movies

MoyeCowbell

47 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

For me, I knew him from 10 Things I Hate About You. My first thought seeing him was, uncharitably, that he's gotten fat, but that happens to more than a few of us in our 40s. Lots of "hey, it's that guy!" reactions for me during Oppenheimer, like Tim DeKay as a senator, or even Josh Hartnett, who I don't think I've seen in anything since Penny Dreadful. It even took me a few scenes to realize I was looking at Robert Downey Jr.

Good movie, but perhaps half an hour too long. Lots of exposition in the second half, when the film has to resort to monologue as a device to tell you what's happened. There's an aide who doesn't even get a name in the credits who has to stand in as the audience surrogate to basically get the story dumped on him. The film wants to be about two things, the witch hunt against suspected communists, and the morality of researching and developing the bomb. I found the latter more interesting, as the former has been done in any number of previous movies. Would have been a tighter movie if Nolan had focused on one or the other, instead of wanting to have his twist.

You make a valid point regarding the length of the movie.  While I didn't have a problem with it, that three hour length is/will be a criticism for many, I suspect.

Just got back from catching the new Indiana Jones movie.  I'm not really a movie person any longer.  Used to be but not any longer.  I prefer watching a 10-episode mini-series on Netflix, Hulu, or Prime, that I can watch in chunks over spending 2 and a half hour in a theater.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised and happy with what I assume to be the final installment in the series.  I loved raiders of the Lost Ark.  One of my top 3 favorites of all time.  I enjoyed the 2nd and 3rd installments as well.  But, I did not like the 4th movie at all.  Wasn't expecting much with this one, but it pushed all the right buttons for me.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Watched a couple good ones today. 

The Covenant about a soldier who goes back to Afghanistan to save his interpreter and family. 

Only the Brave about The Granite Mountain Hotshot wildfire fighters. 

There is a crying warning. 

I'm going to play PS4 now and kick some ass in the octagon, then maybe run some guns and drugs and chase ladies of the night in GTA5.

I don't recommend watching both in the same day. 

Edited by mrflynn03

20 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Christmas night I went to the theater and saw The Iron Claw. An absolutely devastating film with amazing performances. Zac Efron is jacked! and he totally nails his role.

The Von Erichs were slightly before my time, so I didn't know anything about them... all I can say is damn.

I hadn't even heard of the movie...But now I gotta see it...Remember the Von Erichs well...

And I love the movie "The Wrestler" with Micky Rourke...

• Like 1

On 12/27/2023 at 1:05 PM, mrflynn03 said:

I've had a thing for Marissa Tomei since My Cousin Vinny. Even with that Jersey accent. 

That Seinfeld episode was great where George meets her.

I got on a baseball kick the last couple days and watched the nolan Ryan and yogi Berra documentaries on Netflix. I forgot what a douche Steinbrenner was in sending his assistant to fire yogi as manager. I don’t blame him for holding a grudge and not going back to yankee stadium for all those years.

• Like 3

On 12/29/2023 at 10:48 AM, Seeking6 said:

No clue if this is true but if you start watching Forrest Gump at 10:38 and 57 seconds on New Years Eve you'll be celebrating NYE with Forrest and Lt Dan as the ball drops. 

Carry on with your day!

I had to look it up because Forrest Gump is probably my favorite movie. Seems to be true. 

• Like 1

Watched a Netflix movie called Society in the Snow. It's about the rugby team that was in the Andes plane crash in 1972. Same story as the 90's movie Alive but a much a different approach. 

Edited by mrflynn03
Best ever movie I've seen in my li