Bracketology 2021-2022

18 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

If IU mucks Fichigan they are in ?

loser leaves town 

Or do they 100% need Illini win too?

We beat Michigan and we COULD be in.  Probably 75/25 we are in depending on outcome of other tournaments. 

Now, if Illinois turns around and beats us by 30, that will make a difference as well compared as if we lose by 2.

I'm not confident that we can beat Michigan though.  Probably our two worst matchups (UM  and Illinois) back to back.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Rutgers is 12-8 in conference 

Historically that’s a lock until you throw in a loss to Lafayette 

Rutgers is in.  They are playing well at the right time.  Getting the 4 seed in BTT sealed it if it was not already.  Hard to justify leaving the 4 seed out and taking seeds 5-8.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Rutgers is in.  They are playing well at the right time.  Getting the 4 seed in BTT sealed it if it was not already.  Hard to justify leaving the 4 seed out and taking seeds 5-8.

While I agree with you, it happened to us in Mike Davis’ next-to-last year.

7 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Conference standings literally mean nothing in the eyes of the committee. It‘s about who you beat and who beats you. 

This /\

We will see a ton of examples on Sunday of the committee not seeding teams according to their conference finish. Rutgers probably does get in, but if conference finish really was a factor they'd be the 4th highest seeded Big Ten team and they certainly won't be that.... 

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Our record that year was worse than Rutgers, and I dont remember the exact # of teams from the B1G that got in that season, but it wasn't 8.  

They took seeds 1-7 except for us at 4.  And yes, our record was worse but we played a killer schedule and had none of the types of bad home losses that Rutgers had pre- conference.  Again, I agree with you, but there is precedent for skipping over a team and taking the next several.

Edited by IUJoe
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Conference standings literally mean nothing in the eyes of the committee. It‘s about who you beat and who beats you. 

Yes.  They do. It's a natural relationship.  If you finish 4th and are being compared to the team that finished 9th because of a similar overall record, that usually means 1 of 3 things

- The team that finished 4th beat the team that finished 9th.

- The team that finished 4th beat some good teams that the one that finished 9th didnt.

- The team that finished 9th lost to some below average teams that the team that finished 4th didnt.

So, even though our overall record is basically the same as Rutgers, they finished 3 games ahead if us in the conference standings.  I haven't memorized their schedule, but I can easily give you two reasons why that happened.

1) They beat us

2) They beat Purdue

Those two things dont happen and both teams finish 10-10 in conference.  The standings change at that point.  

Factor in that Rutgers got the 4 seed over two other teams that went 12-8 and that means they held the tie-breakers, which says their conference resume is better.

You cant separate the 'quality' of the resume from standings.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Losing to Lafayette will have no bearing on Rutgers getting in or not.  Not one iota.  If IU beats Michigan and the committee only has room for 8 Big Ten teams, the decision is going to be between IU and Michigan.  

And I think IU would get that bid. Beating Michigan not only gives IU another quality win but maybe even more importantly it gives Michigan their 14th loss. 

This is why I struggle with people saying Michigan is in, unless they run the table in Indy how many 14 loss teams have made the tournament historically? It can't be many. 

• Like 1

I'm going to continue to beat this dead horse.  Because Rutgers was able to beat Purdue, Iowa, MSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois, and Indiana, they were able to finish 4th in the B1G.  

That's 7 wins against the top 9 in the conference.  IU has 2 wins against that same group.  So yes, WHO they beat is a lot more impressive.  But you cant ignore that by winning those games, it impacted the conference standings.  You simply cant ignore the correlation.  

Standings matter because it means you did better against common opposition.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm going to continue to beat this dead horse.  Because Rutgers was able to beat Purdue, Iowa, MSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois, and Indiana, they were able to finish 4th in the B1G.  

That's 7 wins against the top 9 in the conference.  IU has 2 wins against that same group.  So yes, WHO they beat is a lot more impressive.  But you cant ignore that by winning those games, it impacted the conference standings.  You simply cant ignore the correlation.  

Standings matter because it means you did better against common opposition.

I think we all agree Rutgers is in at this point...

But if it was because of conference standings, then they'd be the fourth highest B1G team in the NCAA seeding and we all know that won't be the case. They're ahead of teams like IU and UM on the bubble because they have a better overall resume. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think we all agree Rutgers is in at this point...

But if it was because of conference standings, then they'd be the fourth highest B1G team in the NCAA seeding and we all know that won't be the case. They're ahead of teams like IU and UM on the bubble because they have a better overall resume. 

Seeding is a different animal.  But, even with unbalanced conference schedules, conference finish is a critical component of comparing resumes.  Since schools play such a wide range of out of conference schedules, conference records are effective in determining the following.

- How teams did against common competition

- How teams are playing at end of year

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Seeding is a different animal.  But, even with unbalanced conference schedules, conference finish is a critical component of comparing resumes.  Since schools play such a wide range of out of conference schedules, conference records are effective in determining the following.

First off I think Rutgers is in.  Only thing that could put them on the bubble is maybe if Nebraska keeps winning and they were to lose to them on Friday badly. Their overall body of work is a head scratcher. The 3 game losing stretch to DePaul, Lafayette and UMASS is pretty hard to erase(hence the 76 NET).  Then throw in some bottom feeder Big 10 losses(Penn State, MD, Minnesota and Northwestern).   Rutgers really benefits from UM and IU playing each other.  Loser gotta go.  No way the commitment takes nine.

Go Hoosiers!!!

21 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Seeding isn’t a different animal than who gets in, it’s the same formulas then they just have to tweak things to make sure conferences are spread out appropriately. But they seed teams 1-68 to select the field, it’s the same process. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Losing to Lafayette will have no bearing on Rutgers getting in or not.  Not one iota.  If IU beats Michigan and the committee only has room for 8 Big Ten teams, the decision is going to be between IU and Michigan.  

They really don't look at conference affiliations at all in the selection process.  They don't count how many teams in a conference are in and say that is enough.

Edited by IU Scott

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

They really don't look at conference affiliations at all in the selection process.  They don't count how many teams in a conference are in and say that is enough.

Never said they did.  My point is that that if Team #68 & Team #69 are Big Ten squads, it's going to be Michigan and Indiana in those spots.  Rutgers is sitting somewhere in the mid to late 50's in teams under consideration.