Bracketology 2021-2022

Saw earlier they said big 12 was toughest league in basketball.  Maybe that’s why. But they got handled. And no reason they should be. I’m seeing alot of people having us out still but Xavier ahead of us makes it a head scratcher to me. Our Q1 and q2 record is 7-11. Only q3 loss is home to Rutgers…who is ahead of us in rankings…that’s 18 games against quad 1-2 teams.  The big 12 teams have played like 7 each. Gonzaga has played 6. The big ten is hard. If we lose to Illinois and don’t make it in I wouldn’t be surprised tho. We had plenty of chances to make it. 1 or 2 of those games we had slip away and we would be in. Gonna have to keep winning. 

• Like 1

I think a lot of fans have become overconfident about our position.  Lunardi has us as the last team in.  While, I would have us ranked ahead of Xavier, I think it's relatively easy to make an argument we should be behind everyone else currently ahead of us.  

If we lose today, there are 4 additional teams primed to stake a claim to our spot should they win (SMU, Dayton, Virginia Tech, and Oklahoma).  After that, you still have to worry about a team currently further out of the picture in conferences like the SEC and A10 that could grab a spot by winning the conference tournament. 

A win today should seal it unless all sorts of crazy stuff should happen.  But, a loss, especially if it is a big one, and I'm still concerned about where we are at.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I think a lot of fans have become overconfident about our position.  Lunardi has us as the last team in.  While, I would have us ranked ahead of Xavier, I think it's relatively easy to make an argument we should be behind everyone else currently ahead of us.  

If we lose today, there are 4 additional teams primed to stake a claim to our spot should they win (SMU, Dayton, Virginia Tech, and Oklahoma).  After that, you still have to worry about a team currently further out of the picture in conferences like the SEC and A10 that could grab a spot by winning the conference tournament. 

A win today should seal it unless all sorts of crazy stuff should happen.  But, a loss, especially if it is a big one, and I'm still concerned about where we are at.   

I think you’re right. Several results did not go our way yesterday too that put us in an even more precarious position. A loss today will put us, I think, in a 50/50 position.

Xavier has 6 wins by tournament or Hubble teams. 2 wins over Creighton (not in by too much or bubble. See fouls post above)  UConn  maquette Ohio state early when they had some guys out and Virginia tech bubble team

2 losses to St Johns

butler loss and DePaul are bad losses

iu only quad 3 loss is to tournament Rutgers 

IU has more overall wins and losses not as bad

• Like 3

Whatever Lunardi says on his Twitter or posts on his bracket guesses, I'm not buying that the committee is going to seed Wake, Xavier, or Michigan ahead of IU. 

I think he wants to create drama because we have a huge, rabid fanbase that is desperate to get back in the tournament, and it's going to drive clicks to ESPN, which is the #1 most important thing in his job description.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1