Places to stay. Vacations, weekend trips, anniversary ect.

mrflynn03

• 2 months later...

Need some travel advice. What are the best caves to visit in Indiana, or nearby? Mammoth Cave is really all I know, but perhaps there's something just as nice that won't draw the same crowds. It'd be just my wife and I, and we're in no way spelunkers, so a guided tour or walkable trail is desired. Anyone have experiences they'd recommend?

1 minute ago, Maedhros said:

Need some travel advice. What are the best caves to visit in Indiana, or nearby? Mammoth Cave is really all I know, but perhaps there's something just as nice that won't draw the same crowds. It'd be just my wife and I, and we're in no way spelunkers, so a guided tour or walkable trail is desired. Anyone have experiences they'd recommend?

Way back in the day we went to Wyandotte Caves in Crawford County and it was pretty cool...Looking at info on it though, seems like it's closed during the winter months...

1 hour ago, Maedhros said:

Bluespring Caverns outside of Bedford does guided boat tours.

There is also Marengo Cave. 

https://marengocave.com

Thought I would try on here just in case anyone has experience. Looking for a home/cabin/condo doesn't matter. Would need to sleep at least 8. Trying to find rentals for a family vacation along with other family members this Summer near Lake Monroe or on it is nice too!

Weekly rentals and pet friendly. Just trying to get out in front of the rush that happens after the holidays.

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Reacher said:

That sounds like a nice thing to do when you are retired. Only advice I have is something I heard a ways back... Be prepared to wait. There are often delays so be patient when it occurs. No idea how true is but seems likely. 

Like I said I don’t have a schedule so that shouldn’t be a problem. That being said just like a month ago up here in MI a train I will be taking ran into a tow truck stuck at the crossing and they had to bus passengers to Chicago! Yesterday and today they canceled the MI trains because of the severe cold? Should be an interesting trip!!

Since this thread popped up, I'll bring up this.

My son married a girl from S Africa. Her mother is moving out of the country and D-I-L wants to go back home one last time and show her husband around. My wife and I got included and who can pass up a trip of a lifetime? I was a bit reluctant to go given 20+ hours on a plane each way, the cost, crime and sickness down there, etc. Gotta keep the wife happy tho, Hence we leave late in March for 2 weeks in Africa. I figured I won't be missing much IUBB tournament action. I'll get to try out some S Africa brewpubs and add those to the list. And famous S African wineries. Will spend 3-4 days in Kruger National Park doing the safari stuff and see their 3 major cities.  We will be staying with family some and in better accommodations the rest of the time while traveling with a local. At least English is the primary language there. Last few weeks we have been watching videos on the areas we will be going and trying to pick up some Int'l traveling tips. Anyone ever been to Africa? Have any jet lag tips? Other advice? I guess I'm not allowed to pet the lions :) 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Like I said I don’t have a schedule so that shouldn’t be a problem. That being said just like a month ago up here in MI a train I will be taking ran into a tow truck stuck at the crossing and they had to bus passengers to Chicago! Yesterday and today they canceled the MI trains because of the severe cold? Should be an interesting trip!!

I would think so. Hopefully some scenic stretches out west. 

7 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Since this thread popped up, I'll bring up this.

My son married a girl from S Africa. Her mother is moving out of the country and D-I-L wants to go back home one last time and show her husband around. My wife and I got included and who can pass up a trip of a lifetime? I was a bit reluctant to go given 20+ hours on a plane each way, the cost, crime and sickness down there, etc. Gotta keep the wife happy tho, Hence we leave late in March for 2 weeks in Africa. I figured I won't be missing much IUBB tournament action. I'll get to try out some S Africa brewpubs and add those to the list. And famous S African wineries. Will spend 3-4 days in Kruger National Park doing the safari stuff and see their 3 major cities.  We will be staying with family some and in better accommodations the rest of the time while traveling with a local. At least English is the primary language there. Last few weeks we have been watching videos on the areas we will be going and trying to pick up some Int'l traveling tips. Anyone ever been to Africa? Have any jet lag tips? Other advice? I guess I'm not allowed to pet the lions :) 

Don’t pet the Lions but you could do like a coworker of mine did image.thumb.png.c83ea3ee8e3ca793166ba3115b533649.png

Haven’t been to Africa but alot of other places around the world. My best advice is to leave America behind!!!! Be willing to be local. Learn how to act, learn how things are different and go with it! Enjoy the food! Let me know how the Bildong is! Should be easier since you will be with locals! As far as jet lag no matter how tired I was, I always stayed up until the proper bedtime. That way being so tired you sleep through the night and wake up on their time! Make sure to set an alarm though, remember being in Brugges Belgium and having the sales rep call me to see if I was ready to go to the plant! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2024 at 4:26 PM, Drroogh said:

So being retired and not tied to a schedule I decided to go by train out to visit my California family! Anybody have experience with some tips and tricks? I’ve ridden trains in Europe but this will be my first Amtrak ride.

Going through Kansas City end of the month, the train is scheduled to stop at Union Station the site of the shooting yesterday!😬 Supposed to be a long stop as I think they do a crew change there, should be surreal.

34 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

The Natty family is heading to Grand Cayman at the end of next month. Staying at a condo and renting a car. We’ll have full access to the island for a week. Anyone been and care to share any input on adventures and things to do?  

Good luck with the rental, I believe they drive on the left in the Caymans. It takes a concerted effort to make the switch!

7 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

The Natty family is heading to Grand Cayman at the end of next month. Staying at a condo and renting a car. We’ll have full access to the island for a week. Anyone been and care to share any input on adventures and things to do?  

The wife and I spent a day on Grand Cayman as a port stop on our honeymoon cruise (2003).  Didn't see or do a lot due to the time and transportation restrictions.  Our main activity was taking a boat out to a sandbar a couple of miles offshore and swimming with the sting-rays.  Very cool thing to do if you're into that sort of activity.  In addition, we did some shopping in town, but I don't remember a whole lot about that other than the town was clean and had a lot of shopping options in the area where we were at.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I almost moved there 2 years ago. Take your golf clubs good Jack Nicklaus course.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey folks. I'm booking a quick trip for St Louis in June. Seeing the zoo, aquarium at Union Station, botanical gardens. I'm looking for fun places to eat and to stay. Let me know if you have any recommendations, especially for brewpubs and breakfast in and around those areas. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Hey folks. I'm booking a quick trip for St Louis in June. Seeing the zoo, aquarium at Union Station, botanical gardens. I'm looking for fun places to eat and to stay. Let me know if you have any recommendations, especially for brewpubs and breakfast in and around those areas. Thanks!

My oldest daughter and her hubby took me to Schlafly's Brewpub last time I visited, and I really liked all of the beers I tried. The food was good as well...

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Fitz’s is a cool place to check out.  It’s a pop bottling company and restaurant. Haven’t been to St Louis in a long time (decade ish) so do your due diligence, but this really stands out to me for some reason. 

• Thanks 1