2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

On 3/24/2024 at 11:12 AM, 5fouls said:

This list every year always interests me.  It may be my imagination, but it seems like the number of 40+ names is much smaller than what it was when I was growing up.  Where are the likes of Nolan Ryan, Carlton Fisk, Phil Niekro, and Julio Franco?  Those guys played until their mid-40's and beyond.

https://www.mlb.com/news/oldest-players-in-mlb-2024

1) J. Verlander - 41

2) J. Votto - 40

3) C. Morton - 40

4) M. Scherzer - 39

5) J. Turner - 39

6) D. Robertson - 38

7) D. Bard - 38

8.) A. Ottavino - 38

9) M. Carpenter - 38

10) C. Santana - 37

Franco and Jamie Moyer almost hit 50. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Not what Cubs fans wanted to see from Justin Steele on Opening Day.

Justin-Steele.jpg

Hey…as Counsell said post game, it’s part of the game and season.  As a Reds fan, I understand their angst.  

Edited by jv1972iu

Do any Cub fans here use Marquee app/streaming to watch the games? It is $20 a month and if you are in the Cubs service area or whatever you can buy it directly to watch the games. I just wonder if it is any good and if they show all the regular season games. I am blacked out of Cubs games with MLB streaming and thought about using a VPN as a way around that, but figured I would inquire about this first. Thanks.

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

And people wonder why I think Ravech, Perez, and Cone are terrible...

I'm indifferent to Ravech and Cone, but I think Perez is really, really good.  In my opinion, his insight is near the top of analysts.  I listen to the MLB channel on satellite radio on the way to work.  Perez is on a lot in the mornings and I prefer him to any of the others that they rotate into that morning show.  

3 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Do any Cub fans here use Marquee app/streaming to watch the games? It is $20 a month and if you are in the Cubs service area or whatever you can buy it directly to watch the games. I just wonder if it is any good and if they show all the regular season games. I am blacked out of Cubs games with MLB streaming and thought about using a VPN as a way around that, but figured I would inquire about this first. Thanks.

I'm not the best guy to answer. Honestly I gave up trying to figure it out when we went fire sale mode. I'm looking at options again this year but haven't bought anything. The one time I did have YT TV I was in a Reds market so the games were all blacked out anyway. Good luck!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I'm indifferent to Ravech and Cone, but I think Perez is really, really good.  In my opinion, his insight is near the top of analysts.  I listen to the MLB channel on satellite radio on the way to work.  Perez is on a lot in the mornings and I prefer him to any of the others that they rotate into that morning show.  

My comment was more as a team of broadcasters, but I'm not a big Eduardo Perez fan to be honest...

He's like most color analysts these days...More worried about analytics and launch angles...

And part of it is me...I prefer the old "tell a great baseball story" like Joe Morgan and Jon Miller rather than a guy filling dead air time with analytics between every pitch...The game and its history are much more enjoyable listening than hearing  people talk about spin rate and release points...

Addendum: watching the Braves-Phillies game, with John Kruk doing the color commentary... He definitely puts the color in it...

That's what I'm talking about 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

I finally just took a look at Cubs schedule. We better hope Steele's injury isn't serious because after the Rockies series....we have Dodgers at home and road series at San Diego, at Seattle, at Arizona...small break at home with Marlins...start up against home with Houston followed by at Boston, at New York.

I'd sign up for .500 in heartbeat after this first month.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

David Bell pinch hits Nick Martini in the 8th.  Perfect.  Martini hits a 2 run double.  Puts the Reds up by 2.  Then, he proceeds to do what may be the most idiotic managerial move I've ever seen.  He doesn't let Martini stay in the game to play right field.  Rather, he puts Jake Fraley into the game into Martini's spot in the batting order.  That's Jake Fraley, your last left-handed bat left on the bench.  That's Jake Fraley, your best clutch hitter last year, who now has virtually no chance whatsoever to bat in the 9th if you need him against the Nats Right-Handed closer.  Of course, we now know what happens.  Diaz blows the lead and the Reds don't have Fraley's bat available unless they go 8 hitters deep in the 9th.

That's ignorant.  Martini is an outfielder.  He easily could have stayed in the game after his pinch hit.  Just unreal.   

Edited by 5fouls

6 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

FWIW, After beating the Houston Arse-stros last night, the Yankees are now 3-0 for the first time in 21 years!!! Can they sweep with a win today??

Do you believe in magic?? The Yanks swept the Arse-Stros by winning 4-3 and Juan Soto getting the game winning hit! He is the real deal, back up the Brinks truck during the off-season Cashman......

On 3/30/2024 at 9:56 PM, 5fouls said:

David Bell pinch hits Nick Martini in the 8th.  Perfect.  Martini hits a 2 run double.  Puts the Reds up by 2.  Then, he proceeds to do what may be the most idiotic managerial move I've ever seen.  He doesn't let Martini stay in the game to play right field.  Rather, he puts Jake Fraley into the game into Martini's spot in the batting order.  That's Jake Fraley, your last left-handed bat left on the bench.  That's Jake Fraley, your best clutch hitter last year, who now has virtually no chance whatsoever to bat in the 9th if you need him against the Nats Right-Handed closer.  Of course, we now know what happens.  Diaz blows the lead and the Reds don't have Fraley's bat available unless they go 8 hitters deep in the 9th.

That's ignorant.  Martini is an outfielder.  He easily could have stayed in the game after his pinch hit.  Just unreal.   

Reds go up 2, so possibly Bell is thinking about defense rather than needing Fraley’s bat at that point?  Not arguing your point and I don’t know which player is better defensively in right field.  I think we should be more concerned with Diaz at this point, in my opinion.  The bullpen looks extremely shaky to me.  I’ve got a friend who thinks the Reds should move Greene to the bullpen and work towards making him a closer.  I’m not sure I’m ready to do that.   😊

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1