2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

9 minutes ago, rico said:

I am thinking the Sox were on channel 44.  And they were not on cable in my area.

We couldn't pull in any Chicago station with a conventional antenna, so it had to be on cable... I remember those red uniforms the Sox wore those years... Very cool... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I had forgotten that these next three games was making up for losing the opening series of the year.  I was wondering why the Reds and Cubs were playing six straight against each other.

Yeah, I was thinking the schedule makers had set up an end of season fight to the finish for the division crown 👑 

😁

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We couldn't pull in any Chicago station with a conventional antenna, so it had to be on cable... I remember those red uniforms the Sox wore those years... Very cool... 

Before we had cable the only baseball games we had was about 30-40 Reds games a year that was shown bon channel 4 in Indy. We also had the game of the week on NBC on Saturday afternoons.

I know the younger guys won't understand this but I think with all the cable outlets and all the games available I think it over saturates sports. At least for me when you only had a few games a week in any sport it made each game more special. Today I just don't get that same feeling from games because of how many games are on each day

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I know the younger guys won't understand this but I think with all the cable outlets and all the games available I think it over saturates sports. At least for me when you only had a few games a week in any sport it made each game more special.

I totally understand it... "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" kind of thing.

That and trying to make every sporting event into the 1980 Olympic hockey game against the Ruskies...Pomp and circumstance don't add up to much for me...

Kind of a stretch, but sports any more reminds me of when my in-laws and family would get together and play poker... Aces, deuces, and one-eyed jacks wild drove me crazy .. everybody has 5 of a kind...just diluted the game and made it no fun... I finally quit playing with them and would go out into the yard and play wiffle ball with the my nephews... 

After being a Reds fan for 50+ years, I have officially decided that baseball is better enjoyed by being a fan of the GAME and not of a particular team. 

• Miggy's 3,000th hit.
  • Judge's quest to beat Maris
  • Albert's 700th home run
  • Ohtani's double-sided dominance
  • Justin Verlander's return from arm surgery at age 39 after two lost seasons

Those are the things that make baseball worth watching.  I stopped watching any games about a month ago because the Reds are so horrific.  But, I am super pumped for the post-season to start.  \

In my opinion, the NCAA tournament is the only thing that can compare to October baseball.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

So what fixes the Reds?

7 hours ago, rico said:

An owner that wants to win.

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

New ownership

I see this owner mindset as stupid as hell.  I mean, the Reds ownership and the Angels ownership are on opposite ends of the spectrum here...be cheap and lose is such a stupid strategy even in small(er) markets.  If spending money on a couple of players means 40,000 in the seats at the end of the season vs. 3,000, surely it's worth it.  On the flip side, virtually everyone (including Albert) knew that Moreno was overpaying when the Angels bought the back half of Pujols career for $254 million.  No one but a few ridiculous Cardinals fans blamed Albert for taking the money and running, but that's exhibit A of how to mismanage a franchise.

The Reds need to invest in some decent talent scouts and consider paying up for a couple of rising free agents.  I saw how crappy their crowds were after the all-star break.  There aren't players cheap enough to make that work.  Jonathan India has great potential, but he needs a batting coach...strikes out far too much for not being a power hitter.  They have several hitters that are better than India too, so what gives?  Is the pitching that bad?

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I see this owner mindset as stupid as hell.  I mean, the Reds ownership and the Angels ownership are on opposite ends of the spectrum here...be cheap and lose is such a stupid strategy even in small(er) markets.  If spending money on a couple of players means 40,000 in the seats at the end of the season vs. 3,000, surely it's worth it.  On the flip side, virtually everyone (including Albert) knew that Moreno was overpaying when the Angels bought the back half of Pujols career for $254 million.  No one but a few ridiculous Cardinals fans blamed Albert for taking the money and running, but that's exhibit A of how to mismanage a franchise.

The Reds need to invest in some decent talent scouts and consider paying up for a couple of rising free agents.  I saw how crappy their crowds were after the all-star break.  There aren't players cheap enough to make that work.  Jonathan India has great potential, but he needs a batting coach...strikes out far too much for not being a power hitter.  They have several hitters that are better than India too, so what gives?  Is the pitching that bad?

Next year for the Reds

C Stephenson

1B Votto 

2B India 

SS ? 

3B ?

LF ? 

CF ? 

LF ? 

DH ?

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Actually the Reds has three rookie pitchers that has great stuff. Green and Ladalo are top of the rotation pitchers and Ashcraft is an above average starting pitcher. Diaz is also a rookie and will eventually be the closer 

36 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Actually the Reds has three rookie pitchers that has great stuff. Green and Ladalo are top of the rotation pitchers and Ashcraft is an above average starting pitcher. Diaz is also a rookie and will eventually be the closer 

That's encouraging if ownership doesn't go cheap on them and if they don't end up being Homer Bailey.  I remember how high the Reds announcers were on him and he just never met expectations.

34 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I think sometime next year Dela Cruz will be up but I wonder if stays at SS or move to the OF.  I think Marte will be eventually moved to the OF from SS and they should do it now instead of him doing it at the major league level lime they did Senzel. The bad part besides Dela Cruz the other top prospects are a few years away and most are SS

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Maedhros said:

When I was ten or so, my best friend was a kid a little older than me who had moved to Indy from Atlanta. I knew so little about baseball myself that I remember asking him why he was always wearing a California Angels hat. So I adopted his fandom. It was a great choice, because this was right at the start of that 90s run. I don't quite remember '92 and Sid Bream, but I was following closely by '93, when they traded for Fred McGriff and went on that great run to catch Bonds and the Giants.

Greg Maddux is my favorite player of all time. I was a smart kid who around this time had just learned he would have to wear glasses. Back then every kid with glasses in the movies was nerdy and got bullied. I can remember crying in the theater during the movie Beethoven, of all things, because I'd just had enough. So it was awesome to watch a pitcher on my favorite team who wore black wire-framed glasses, was nicknamed The Professor, and got people out through smarts and accuracy instead of overpowering stuff. I mean look at this guy! That's who I wanted to be.

1999 Aurora Styrotechs #2 Greg Maddux - NM-MT | eBay

I have a couple great Greg Maddux stories I will share with you. He has a ton of family in our neck of the woods and does visit still

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I think sometime next year Delay Cruz will be up but I wonder if stays at SS or move to the OF.  I think Marte will be eventually moved to the OF from SS and they should do it now instead of him doing it at the major league level lime they did Senzel. The bad part besides Delay Cruz the other top prospects are a few years away and most are SS

You forgot about McClain.  

42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Next year for the Reds

C Stephenson

1B Votto 

2B India 

SS ? 

3B ?

LF ? 

CF ? 

LF ? 

DH ?

I see what you're saying now that I look closer...Reds traded away some of their talent to contenders and got some age issues as well.  Not as deep as I thought, unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I see what you're saying now that I look closer...Reds traded away some of their talent to contenders and got some age issues as well.  Not as deep as I thought, unfortunately.

They have a top 5 farm system from getting some top prospects but a few of them are in A ball

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

The thing is that a lot of the position players who are finishing the year as starters would be good utility players coming off the bench.  I think on a really good and deep team Farmer would be a good starter. He needs to be down in the lineup batting 7th but not 3rd where he has been the majority of the year.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is that a lot of the position players who are finishing the year as starters would be good utility players coming off the bench.  I think on a really good and deep team Farmer would be a good starter. He needs to be down in the lineup batting 7th but not 3rd where he has been the majority of the year.

True.  I hope they develop their farm guys and grow into a contender.  I still consider Red's a 2nd favorite, but had no interest in watching them this year.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

True.  I hope they develop their farm guys and grow into a contender.  I still consider Red's a 2nd favorite, but had no interest in watching them this year.

I know over on RedZone they don't think Farmer is a good player because they just use analytics to make decisions. To me if your 7th place hitter put up .260 11 hr and 76 rbi that is a good season which is the numbers that Farmer has put up this year.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1