2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

It's still technically the regular season, but playoff baseball arrive over the weekend. That Braves-Mets series was an absolute blast. There's nothing like high stakes baseball, when the entire game can change with every pitch. It's been a year since I felt that feeling, and it was so great to have it back.

Getting the sweep felt pretty good, too. 😁

21 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

It's still technically the regular season, but playoff baseball arrive over the weekend. That Braves-Mets series was an absolute blast. There's nothing like high stakes baseball, when the entire game can change with every pitch. It's been a year since I felt that feeling, and it was so great to have it back.

Getting the sweep felt pretty good, too. 😁

May I ask how you became a Brave fan?

8 minutes ago, rico said:

May I ask how you became a Brave fan?

When I was ten or so, my best friend was a kid a little older than me who had moved to Indy from Atlanta. I knew so little about baseball myself that I remember asking him why he was always wearing a California Angels hat. So I adopted his fandom. It was a great choice, because this was right at the start of that 90s run. I don't quite remember '92 and Sid Bream, but I was following closely by '93, when they traded for Fred McGriff and went on that great run to catch Bonds and the Giants.

Greg Maddux is my favorite player of all time. I was a smart kid who around this time had just learned he would have to wear glasses. Back then every kid with glasses in the movies was nerdy and got bullied. I can remember crying in the theater during the movie Beethoven, of all things, because I'd just had enough. So it was awesome to watch a pitcher on my favorite team who wore black wire-framed glasses, was nicknamed The Professor, and got people out through smarts and accuracy instead of overpowering stuff. I mean look at this guy! That's who I wanted to be.

1999 Aurora Styrotechs #2 Greg Maddux - NM-MT | eBay

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

When I was ten or so, my best friend was a kid a little older than me who had moved to Indy from Atlanta. I knew so little about baseball myself that I remember asking him why he was always wearing a California Angels hat. So I adopted his fandom. It was a great choice, because this was right at the start of that 90s run. I don't quite remember '92 and Sid Bream, but I was following closely by '93, when they traded for Fred McGriff and went on that great run to catch Bonds and the Giants.

Greg Maddux is my favorite player of all time. I was a smart kid who around this time had just learned he would have to wear glasses. Back then every kid with glasses in the movies was nerdy and got bullied. I can remember crying in the theater during the movie Beethoven, of all things, because I'd just had enough. So it was awesome to watch a pitcher on my favorite team who wore black wire-framed glasses, was nicknamed The Professor, and got people out through smarts and accuracy instead of overpowering stuff. I mean look at this guy! That's who I wanted to be.

1999 Aurora Styrotechs #2 Greg Maddux - NM-MT | eBay

TBS made a lot of people from the south and all across America Braves fans. When we got TBS add to our cable package in like 1976, between that and WGN (Cubs), you could watch baseball almost every day...

I remember watching the Padres-Braves brawl live in 1984 on TBS... That was a wild one

Edited by IUFLA

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

TBS made a lot of people from the south and all across America Braves fans. When we got TBS add to our cable package in like 1976, between that and WGN (Cubs), you could watch baseball almost every day...

I miss those days.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rico said:

I miss those days.  

I do too... I know most people loved Harry Carey, and I did too, but when WGN first came to cable it was Jack Brickhouse, Lou Boudreaux and Vince Lloyd. And all daytime baseball...

I can't remember what station broadcast the White Sox on cable, but I remember seeing them a lot in the mid 70s during the Dick Allen, Bill Melton, Wilbur Wood years...was that WGN too? 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I do too... I know most people loved Harry Carey, and I did too, but when WGN first came to cable it was Jack Brickhouse, Lou Boudreaux and Vince Lloyd. And all daytime baseball...

I can't remember what station broadcast the White Sox on cable, but I remember seeing them a lot in the mid 70s during the Dick Allen, Bill Melton, Wilbur Wood years...was that WGN too? 

I am thinking the Sox were on channel 44.  And they were not on cable in my area.