Bob Knight coming back

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HoosierJax said:

I get what's being said,but it's not like IU has been killing it either

That wasn’t really the point. It was more about how for some reason a faction of IU fans keep bringing up Beilein and how IU should have hired him instead of Sampson. I don’t really see how Beilein is much better than Crean?

55 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i think Beilein does a very good job with the talent he gets.  i love Alford from his playing days, but was never crazy about getting him as a coach.  don't think he's the devil as many on here seem to though.  hard to say the General failed at TT.  he made them better than when he went there and put them on the map for a few years.  not going to do much more there - although i do realize they are pretty good this year.  

I think former Knight assistant Chris Beard has this looking pretty darn good. Time will tell if it's sustainable.  PS...Coach Beard is coaching on a torn ACL. 

37 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That wasn’t really the point. It was more about how for some reason a faction of IU fans keep bringing up Beilein and how IU should have hired him instead of Sampson. I don’t really see how Beilein is much better than Crean?

Point or not,I can't tell what he might have done here,but I'm sure it wouldn't have been any worse and we wouldn't have gotten gut punched by the NCAA,different guy different place results could have been better..who knows

27 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Point or not,I can't tell what he might have done here,but I'm sure it wouldn't have been any worse and we wouldn't have gotten gut punched by the NCAA,different guy different place results could have been better..who knows

Oh, absolutely. Beilein would have been way better than Sampson merely due to the NCAA aspect. You're not getting that entire fiasco with Beilein. Just saying not much in his career indicates he's be much better than Crean. You'd still get the high's of some conference championships and potentially an NCAA run, but you're also getting the lows of 7th and 8th place finishes and missing the tournament mixed in. 

2 hours ago, rico said:

B's success rate is a lot better than Crean's.  And B has accomplished it at numerous schools.

I wouldn't say a lot better. Beilein's been a major conference coach for 15 years and made the NCAA Tournament 8 times in those years, has 1 outright conference title and one shared. In those 15 years he's finished 7th or lower in his conference 8 times and 5th or lower 10 times. He's had a little more tournament success, but both have been to 1 Final Four.  

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I wouldn't say a lot better. Beilein's been a major conference coach for 15 years and made the NCAA Tournament 8 times in those years, has 1 outright conference title and one shared. In those 15 years he's finished 7th or lower in his conference 8 times and 5th or lower 10 times. He's had a little more tournament success, but both have been to 1 Final Four.  

I didn't say a lot better(or did I?),  are you taking into account what B did at Canius and Richmond?

1 minute ago, rico said:

I didn't say a lot better(or did I?),  are you taking into account what B did at Canius and Richmond?

You did say "a lot" :D

I'm just looking at his power-conference record. Yes, I know he has success at previous/smaller stops, but not sure how completely relevant that is when comparing him to Crean. 

My larger point is that I've often over Crean's tenure seen Beilein mentioned as a guy many IU fans wish we had instead, and I just don't see how he's an upgrade? To me their resumes (at least power conference resumes) are pretty similar. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

You did say "a lot" :D

I'm just looking at his power-conference record. Yes, I know he has success at previous/smaller stops, but not sure how completely relevant that is when comparing him to Crean. 

My larger point is that I've often over Crean's tenure seen Beilein mentioned as a guy many IU fans wish we had instead, and I just don't see how he's an upgrade? To me their resumes (at least power conference resumes) are pretty similar. 

He's not, If JB was here, he'd be bitched about on a regular basis.

The grass is always greener...

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

Oh, absolutely. Beilein would have been way better than Sampson merely due to the NCAA aspect. You're not getting that entire fiasco with Beilein. Just saying not much in his career indicates he's be much better than Crean. You'd still get the high's of some conference championships and potentially an NCAA run, but you're also getting the lows of 7th and 8th place finishes and missing the tournament mixed in. 

Over the last seven years:

Beilein missed the tournament once. He won 11 total NCAA tourney games, with two deep runs to Elite Eight / championship game. He won the league twice.

Crean missed the tournament three times. He won 6 total NCAA tourney games, and did not advance beyond the Sweet 16. He also won the league twice.

I also think Michigan is a harder place to win than Indiana - so even if I believed their resumes were similar, I'd choose Beilein.

(I don't know if Beilein would have been "the guy" at IU, but I'm confident he would have been an upgrade on Crean)

58 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Over the last seven years:

Beilein missed the tournament once. He won 11 total NCAA tourney games, with two deep runs to Elite Eight / championship game. He won the league twice.

Crean missed the tournament three times. He won 6 total NCAA tourney games, and did not advance beyond the Sweet 16. He also won the league twice.

I also think Michigan is a harder place to win than Indiana - so even if I believed their resumes were similar, I'd choose Beilein.

(I don't know if Beilein would have been "the guy" at IU, but I'm confident he would have been an upgrade on Crean)

We can cherry pick time-frames, 9 of those 11 NCAA wins were with the same team in consecutive years, which make no mistake was a great run. Over the last 3 years he's finished 9th, 8th and tied for 5th in conference, missing the tournament once and a first round exit another time. Yes, his resume might be slightly better than Crean's, but it's not all that much different. He's won two high-major conference titles in 15 years, missing the tournament 6 times. In one of his conference title years he lost in the first round.  Sounds awful familiar to me. 

48 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We can cherry pick time-frames, 9 of those 11 NCAA wins were with the same team in consecutive years, which make no mistake was a great run. Over the last 3 years he's finished 9th, 8th and tied for 5th in conference, missing the tournament once and a first round exit another time. Yes, his resume might be slightly better than Crean's, but it's not all that much different. He's won two high-major conference titles in 15 years, missing the tournament 6 times. In one of his conference title years he lost in the first round.  Sounds awful familiar to me. 

I still take B.

When I brought up Beilein it was because I had heard that Greenspan wanted him but he was over ruled by the University President who wanted a minority (Sampson). I would of assumed that Beilein came with no baggage so we wouldn't of had an opening two years after he was hired which would of led to more stability. Beilein probably would of been here at least 10 years. Not saying he is a better coach but instead of having Davis, Sampson, Crean and then Miller we could of quite possibly had Davis, Beilein and then Miller. 

On 1/24/2018 at 7:06 PM, jefftheref said:

I have never heard of any accusations of cheating against Woody. If I remember correctly didn't Knight honor Woody at one of the home games after Woody was let go? Normally Knight didn't have anything to do with know cheaters. 

Are we talking Wooden?? Are we talking UCLA?? If not then I’m wrong. 

17 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

We could have Had Bennet,what a job he's doing at Virginia,went in and beat Duke ...19-1....they seem to be ranked every year regardless of who they have.

Bennett went 15-16 and 16-15 his first two years at UVA. We’re in good hands with Archie, we just need to give him time. 

Archived