IU "NIT watch"

rico

Hard to believe we got a chance at making it, but the fact is we do.  I think we all know what we need to do just to get on the "bubble".

But we also have to keep our eyes out for "bid stealers".  Which I have not been doing.  It does appear that Gonzaga and St. Mary's will both get in but other than that I have no idea about the other mid-major conferences.

Thoughts?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts isn't related necessarily to mid-major conferences but other P5 conferences. Looking at Big 12, ACC, and Big East the early season story is you could have as many as 6-7 teams from each of those conferences make the tourney. Possibly more. Normally we focus on mid-majors but for Big 10 this year I think our 5th place team (assuming Purdue, Sparty, Michigan, and Ohio St are locks as of today) could have it's invite taken away from major conference overload. 

Jim Delany doesn't lose often but after Ohio St getting left out of playoff in football....I'm sure he's sitting there saying no way we only get 4 teams in tourney. I think 5 make it. Hopefully it's us but need to get wins vs Purdue, Sparty, Ohio St to end season.

Other conferences to watch. American (Cincy, Houston, Wichita St). Do they get all 3 in? Additional? SEC too. They have 3-6 teams that can make an argument but on paper right now only 3 look the part (Florida, UK, and Auburn) with another 3-4 teams trying to fight for another spot.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My thoughts isn't related necessarily to mid-major conferences but other P5 conferences. Looking at Big 12, ACC, and Big East the early season story is you could have as many as 6-7 teams from each of those conferences make the tourney. Possibly more. Normally we focus on mid-majors but for Big 10 this year I think our 5th place team (assuming Purdue, Sparty, Michigan, and Ohio St are locks as of today) could have it's invite taken away from major conference overload. 

Jim Delany doesn't lose often but after Ohio St getting left out of playoff in football....I'm sure he's sitting there saying no way we only get 4 teams in tourney. I think 5 make it. Hopefully it's us but need to get wins vs Purdue, Sparty, Ohio St to end season.

Other conferences to watch. American (Cincy, Houston, Wichita St). Do they get all 3 in? Additional? SEC too. They have 3-6 teams that can make an argument but on paper right now only 3 look the part (Florida, UK, and Auburn) with another 3-4 teams trying to fight for another spot.

Speaking of the American.......UCF and SMU?

I'm going to make a prediction. If we get into the tournament it's not going to come from a bid. It'd be from winning the B1G tournament. So all of it will be irrelevant. haha. 

I just can't see this team winning all the games their 'supposed' to win AND THEN stealing one from the big 3 in the conference. That's a lot of things that need to add up in our favor. Heck, I'm not even completely sure we'll beat Illinois tonight because they've been playing tough and are thirsty for a win. Plus they still seem to have that Eric Gordon (he who shall not be named) chip on their shoulder. I mean....let it go already!

and sorry to be pessimistic, but we are still 96 in Ken Pom. The only good win we have is to a now Bonzie Colson-less ND team (#30). The other wins? Well, Minnesota is falling apart. Any tourney team should be able to beat PSU at home. Iowa - they suck. And then Maryland is not even on the bubble anymore. 

We are really hanging on to an unraveling thread right now. Lloyd Christmas might have a better chance of hooking up with Mary Swanson. 

44 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I'm going to make a prediction. If we get into the tournament it's not going to come from a bid. It'd be from winning the B1G tournament. So all of it will be irrelevant. haha. 

I just can't see this team winning all the games their 'supposed' to win AND THEN stealing one from the big 3 in the conference. That's a lot of things that need to add up in our favor. Heck, I'm not even completely sure we'll beat Illinois tonight because they've been playing tough and are thirsty for a win. Plus they still seem to have that Eric Gordon (he who shall not be named) chip on their shoulder. I mean....let it go already!

and sorry to be pessimistic, but we are still 96 in Ken Pom. The only good win we have is to a now Bonzie Colson-less ND team (#30). The other wins? Well, Minnesota is falling apart. Any tourney team should be able to beat PSU at home. Iowa - they suck. And then Maryland is not even on the bubble anymore. 

We are really hanging on to an unraveling thread right now. Lloyd Christmas might have a better chance of hooking up with Mary Swanson. 

The fact is we get 4 cracks at teams that are ranked #13 and higher.......with 3 coming at home.  Just buckle up!!!!!!  Enjoy the ride!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I would Argue Tennessee is right there I mean heck they have been in the top 25 for most of the season. 

I think we would have to go 11-7 just to be mentioned for the bubble so that would have us going -4 the rest of the way.  That would give us a record of 18-12 overall and probably would have to make the semi final of the Big ten tournament to have a chance for a bid.  I just look back 3 games that will probably keep us out as of right now and that is the ISU, Fort Wayne and UW games.  We had the lead at half against UW and if we could have won that game we would be 6-2 in the conference right now.

It might be obvious to point out:

Granted we show up and take care of Illinois, our effort against Purdue likely tells us a great deal in terms of what we might expect moving forward. If we can find a way to not lay anymore eggs like the MSU, IPFW, or the Sycamore games, we might be able to build momentum. 

I think it’s key, they just have to prove to themselves that they can run with the big teams in crunch time. I’m just not so sure they have the upperclassmen leadership nor instesinal fortitude. But, I want to see if they can find it.

Archived