Next years thoughts and concens

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/26/2018 at 4:29 PM, IowaHoosierFan said:

Any guess who transfers out?

I think Green, Davis, or Moore will move along.

I think Green is gone,seen enough to know he does not mesh with cam..Davis could stay but he will never get to where he needs to be...is Morgan far enough along that he could graduate in May and be a grad transfer? 

3 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

I think Green is gone,seen enough to know he does not mesh with cam..Davis could stay but he will never get to where he needs to be...is Morgan far enough along that he could graduate in May and be a grad transfer? 

I would be shocked if Morgan left IU as a grad transfer.  Archie's coaching has already paid huge dividends on Morgan's game.  Why would he want to leave a coach that has helped him so much?

I was watching some videos of the recruits and one I really thought impressed me was Thompson.  I did not realize he could shoot the 3 as well as what I saw on his tape.  I know these tapes only show the good but his form on his shot is very good.  I think Thompson might come in next year ad really surprise us. 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I would be shocked if Morgan left IU as a grad transfer.  Archie's coaching has already paid huge dividends on Morgan's game.  Why would he want to leave a coach that has helped him so much?

It' just a thought, lots of grad transfer now a days, most leave trying to get on a better team for a chance to play in tournament,he's only been once.

9 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

It' just a thought, lots of grad transfer now a days, most leave trying to get on a better team for a chance to play in tournament,he's only been once.

Agree, but it’s typically a mid-major kid transferring up to a power conference team. I could be wrong, but I doubt there’s been an instance of a power 5 all-conference level player doing a grad transfer to another power 5 school without some kind of scandal or coaching change at his previous school. 

I’d be completely stunned if Morgan did a grad transfer. 

45 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree, but it’s typically a mid-major kid transferring up to a power conference team. I could be wrong, but I doubt there’s been an instance of a power 5 all-conference level player doing a grad transfer to another power 5 school without some kind of scandal or coaching change at his previous school. 

This. The only Power 5 examples I can think of is role players transferring. 

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Remember Max Biefeldt helped us win the conference a couple of years ago.

Yes, but he was a role player. I can’t think of any instance of a “star” power 5 player doing a grad transfer unless there was some sort of scandal/coaching change. Maybe it’s happened, but I can’t think of one. 

2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Bielfeldt was at Michigan for four years though. Different than a three year player moving on. 

No it is not because we were talking about grad transfers so what is the difference. We were talking about if Morgan could graduate and then leave.  If he couldn't graduate then there would be no talk of him transferring and sitting out a year.

Just now, IU Scott said:

No it is not because we were talking about grad transfers so what is the difference. We were talking about if Morgan could graduate and then leave.  If he couldn't graduate then there would be no talk of him transferring and sitting out a year.

Players staying 4 years and leaving on a grad transfer is common. Players staying 3 years and leaving on a grad transfer is not. 

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

What about the kid from Michigan that came to IU..he was pretty good,not Morgan good but he was a very nice addition to the team.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:34 PM, 5fouls said:

Getting Romeo is critical.  We desperately need a 3 point shooting threat.  I don't think any of the returning players will fit that bill.  I've heard Anderson is supposed to be a good shooter, but is the rest of his game good enough to where he would play 25-30 minutes a night.  Romeo is so important.

I could not agree more!!! 

7 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

What about the kid from Michigan that came to IU..he was pretty good,not Morgan good but he was a very nice addition to the team.

He was a nice addition to the team and really helped us that year, but he was recruited over at Michigan and essentially lost his scholarship there. With Morgan we’re talking about an all-conference player. I can’t think of one all-Conference power 5 player that has done a grad transfer without a coaching change or scandal. 

Assume our roster for next season is what we can see as of today.  No transfers.  No additional signees.  Are we really that much better than this year, if at all.  It seems to me that we are expecting the freshmen to be a significant upgrade over our seniors.  But we're overlooking one important factor.  They are freshmen.

We have every reason to be excited about Phinisee.  But, he'll be a freshman,  Guess what most freshmen point guards do.  They turn the ball over more often than experienced floor leaders.  They also tend to struggle on the defensive end.

Thompson, Anderson, & Hunter.  Will any of then be able to consistently hit from the outside?  Will any of them show enough as a freshman to become the team leader as a Sophomore, after Morgan graduates?    I ask because, other than possibly Justin Smith, does anyone feel there is a player on the current roster that is likely to be able to do that?  I don't see it.

Will Davis, Moore, or Forrester be able to give us 40 consistent minutes from the post?  How would a big body being on the floor on a regular basis impact what Morgan is giving us now (since Davis went down)? 

Frankly, without an additional player yet to be named, whether it be Romeo or a graduate transfer, I see many of the same issues on next year's roster as I see on this one.  

• Inconsistent guard play (Green will likely never be consistent, and Durham likely will never be able to shoot)
  • Lack of  3 point shooting (this almost has to come from someone not currently projected to be on the roster).  Even if we should land Romeo, who would step up and be the secondary 3 point threat.  A team needs more than one. And, would all the 3 point shooters be freshmen?  Freshmen tend get tired legs about halfway through the conference season. 

Tell me what I'm missing.  Will the fact that the freshmen will be 'Archie's guys' make that much of a difference?  Or, is it fools gold to think that a group of freshmen will automatically cure all ills?  Are we destined for another disappointing season next year? 

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Assume our roster for next season is what we can see as of today.  No transfers.  No additional signees.  Are we really that much better than this year, if at all.  It seems to me that we are expecting the freshmen to be a significant upgrade over our seniors.  But we're overlooking one important factor.  They are freshmen.

We have every reason to be excited about Phinisee.  But, he'll be a freshman,  Guess what most freshmen point guards do.  They turn the ball over more often than experienced floor leaders.  They also tend to struggle on the defensive end.

Thompson, Anderson, & Hunter.  Will any of then be able to consistently hit from the outside?  Will any of them show enough as a freshman to become the team leader as a Sophomore, after Morgan graduates?    I ask because, other than possibly Justin Smith, does anyone feel there is a player on the current roster that is likely to be able to do that?  I don't see it.

Will Davis, Moore, or Forrester be able to give us 40 consistent minutes from the post?  How would a big body being on the floor on a regular basis impact what Morgan is giving us now (since Davis went down)? 

Frankly, without an additional player yet to be named, whether it be Romeo or a graduate transfer, I see many of the same issues on next year's roster as I see on this one.  

• Inconsistent guard play (Green will likely never be consistent, and Durham likely will never be able to shoot)
  • Lack of  3 point shooting (this almost has to come from someone not currently projected to be on the roster).  Even if we should land Romeo, who would step up and be the secondary 3 point threat.  A team needs more than one. And, would all the 3 point shooters be freshmen?  Freshmen tend get tired legs about halfway through the conference season. 

Tell me what I'm missing.  Will the fact that the freshmen will be 'Archie's guys' make that much of a difference?  Or, is it fools gold to think that a group of freshmen will automatically cure all ills?  Are we destined for another disappointing season next year? 

I believe there is a great deal of hope in the freshmen class in that they are Archie's.  Fair or not, the class comes with more expectations.  Those expectations may not be there immediately, but they are there.  Also, I feel it necessary to add that I did not 'beer sponge' appropriately after work tonight/this morning.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I think you're ignoring the development of guys we do have. Last off-season none of the guys knew what they were doing so all the leading had to come from coaches. 

This off-season there will be a lot of guys who know what they're doing and can take ownership of their improvement. That's also going to be a bit benefit to the freshmen coming in. I expect Morgan to be as good as anyone in the conference next year, Smith should be really solid (he's already shown some flashes), McRoberts will keep doing what he's doing and we will likely see him score a bit more as a senior and Durham will improve enough to be a rotation guy out of talent rather than lack of other options.  

That means you need probably two of Davis coming back healthy plus Thompson or Moore contributing. Guard wise, we are going to need Hunter and Phinisee to play well, not to be studs though. Then hopefully add consistent play from either Anderson or Green and we are in good shape. 

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

There have been several threads talking about next year. In none that I have read has there been any mention of the current players, especially the freshmen, improving, and I think that is discounting a lot.

Many of the talking heads discuss how many kids make a big jump from their first year to their second. I think that we'll see that especially with Josh and probably with Al and Moore. A full offseason with the strength coach will help immensely, imo.

This year is a transition year. Next season I anticipate that the team will feel much more comfortable with CAM's systems and will play freely vs having to think so much.

I am optimistic that the entire team will improve with another year with this coaching staff. Archie is just getting started. Good stuff is in the program's future 

•  

Archived