Next years thoughts and concens

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It could go so many different ways, and amazing how what a couple decisions by a high school and some college kids can do to Archie's tenure. Also, these thoughts are clearly premature without knowing who is leaving/staying at other schools, additions that remain to be made, etc. 

1) Romeo stays and Morgan comes back: I think we're a Big Ten Title contender, though youth in the back-court will be an issue.

2) Romeo doesn't come, but Morgan comes back: We'll be a solid tournament team, but still sort of middle of the pack in conference. Again, so much can happen to change things, but without knowing who else stays and goes at other schools, I'd think we could be a 3rd-5th conference finisher.

3) Romeo doesn't come, Morgan leaves, and a couple others transfer: I think you have to more strongly question Archie's decision to not clean house when he first got here. Not that we couldn't be decent with the freshmen class, but man we would be really, really young, and probably would have to add a few more new players, it would almost be like a 1st year for Archie all over again. 

I can Hardly wait to see all of the NEW players and [hopefully] , all of the players who are not SENIORS this season RETURN for 2018-2019 ( unless Archie lands Romeo Langford and another BIG for 2018-2019 ) !! A Langford get would be freaking AWESOME !! Go " Archie & The Gang " !!!!

P.S. I'm saying IU makes the "Big Dance " again next season !!!

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

It could go so many different ways, and amazing how what a couple decisions by a high school and some college kids can do to Archie's tenure. Also, these thoughts are clearly premature without knowing who is leaving/staying at other schools, additions that remain to be made, etc. 

1) Romeo stays and Morgan comes back: I think we're a Big Ten Title contender, though youth in the back-court will be an issue.

2) Romeo doesn't come, but Morgan comes back: We'll be a solid tournament team, but still sort of middle of the pack in conference. Again, so much can happen to change things, but without knowing who else stays and goes at other schools, I'd think we could be a 3rd-5th conference finisher.

3) Romeo doesn't come, Morgan leaves, and a couple others transfer: I think you have to more strongly question Archie's decision to not clean house when he first got here. Not that we couldn't be decent with the freshmen class, but man we would be really, really young, and probably would have to add a few more new players, it would almost be like a 1st year for Archie all over again. 

Point #2 is the one most aren't looking at.  Purdue loses alot period, MSU , regardless of the fire that just got ignited there, stood to lose alot.  And so on and so forth.  The B1G appears to be in some sort of a down cycle.  

The main thing is to get a PG, we got one.  If Morgan comes back and Davis gets healthy we will be in the Dance next year.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Why do you think that?

I can't see anything beyond pure speculation at this point.  I expect Archie to sit down with every player on the team after the season and give them an honest assessment of their future prospects.  That story isn't likely written yet as I assume that (1) Archie wants to see how everyone performs the rest of the season both in practice and in games and (2) He wants to see what the incoming class looks like after the spring signing period.  After all that is said and done, I'm guessing then and only then will we really know who is coming, staying and going. 

In the meantime, everyone has an opportunity for the light to come on and that can change the look of the roster a lot at the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I can't see anything beyond pure speculation at this point.  I expect Archie to sit down with every player on the team after the season and give them an honest assessment of their future prospects.  That story isn't likely written yet as I assume that (1) Archie wants to see how everyone performs the rest of the season both in practice and in games and (2) He wants to see what the incoming class looks like after the spring signing period.  After all that is said and done, I'm guessing then and only then will we really know who is coming, staying and going. 

In the meantime, everyone has an opportunity for the light to come on and that can change the look of the roster a lot at the end of the season.

I will agree with that take.  

Bold Prediction #1( that is not really that bold) Davis will not start if he comes back and I think that is the reason he will not back.  He is too slow for Archies defense and really not that great on offense either save a couple games because he lack athleticism and plays too much below the rim.

There have been several threads talking about next year. In none that I have read has there been any mention of the current players, especially the freshmen, improving, and I think that is discounting a lot.

Many of the talking heads discuss how many kids make a big jump from their first year to their second. I think that we'll see that especially with Josh and probably with Al and Moore. A full offseason with the strength coach will help immensely, imo.

This year is a transition year. Next season I anticipate that the team will feel much more comfortable with CAM's systems and will play freely vs having to think so much.

I am optimistic that the entire team will improve with another year with this coaching staff. Archie is just getting started. Good stuff is in the program's future 

We have 4 freshman this year, and at least 4 coming in next year.  I wouldn't be surprised if we have at least a transfer or two or a Morgan entrance into the draft and add a 5th to this class.  That means we'd have 9 of our 13 players who have only known Miller's college coaching, and the rest will have been in Miller's system for over a year.  At that point, Crean will no longer be a valid excuse.  Also, if he doesn't think somebody can hack it here, he needs to show them the door.  Next year should be 100% Archie's team.  It's better to be known for transfers than to be known for having crappy players and a bad team.

Without knowing who will be here next year, here are some things I want to see.

Better job covering shooters and less open threes.  Pack line can't be jack line for the other team.

I expect more of a progression from shooters.  The lack of development of shooters/regression of some needs to improve.  The 3 is increasing in importance in games and in recruiting, and we need to improve shooters once they get here.  Our returners need to all improve their shots next year.

More focus from the team.  We've had too many disappointing games this year that we should have won or at a minimum played better in.  Those need to improve a ton since we'll be getting rid of some inconsistent seniors.

Here's what I see at the very least. Our overall team talent, speed, shooting (has to be better) will all have improved or be better so I expect better results. We won't lose games like the 2 preseason games vs ISU and Fort Wayne. We wouldn't lose at Wiscy or at Illinois. Now every season is different but with what I've watched from our coaching staff....I have no reason to believe if everything else is the same we wouldn't be a 16 win team right now with next years roster. 

Also...sure would be nice if we don't get at Duke or at Carolina in ACC matchup...but I know that would be impossible. Haha..

Getting Romeo is critical.  We desperately need a 3 point shooting threat.  I don't think any of the returning players will fit that bill.  I've heard Anderson is supposed to be a good shooter, but is the rest of his game good enough to where he would play 25-30 minutes a night.  Romeo is so important.

39 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Getting Romeo is critical.  We desperately need a 3 point shooting threat.  I don't think any of the returning players will fit that bill.  I've heard Anderson is supposed to be a good shooter, but is the rest of his game good enough to where he would play 25-30 minutes a night.  Romeo is so important.

Hunter and Anderson are both shooters and I can see them playing that many combined, but Romeo is another level I agree.  He would make the game so much easier for everyone else. 

i can see like anyone else that we seem to be better after Davis went out, but i still have to think he could be a huge piece next year.  i still think Phinessee, Durham, Smith, Morgan, and Davis would be very solid with McRoberts, Green, Hunter, and Anderson giving us pretty good depth other than size again.  i think that team is definitely a tourney team with another year of CAM's system in place.  now if you add Romeo...

21 hours ago, BGleas said:

Basically all that needs to be said ^^^

The Morgan thing will be interesting to watch. It seemed that during the Crean era, anyone that got a sniff from the NBA scouts would leave...all the while, Miles Bridges returns. Grayson Allen returns. Frank Kaminsky returns. Etc. Do some coaches push their players to the NBA, do some coaches try to hold on to their players (for better, or for worse)?

I really hope Archie...through no fault of his own...doesn't lose out on a 2018/19 Morgan AND Romeo. We would be looking at another rebuild based on tradition and "I know we aren't real good right now...please overlook us getting blown out by the other team recruiting you...but we could be real good with you here" recruiting.

IU needs to catch a break...and that break is the return of Morgan and the arrival of Romeo. If that happens, our program goes to the moon in a hurry.

2 hours ago, cohete15 said:

Basically all that needs to be said ^^^

The Morgan thing will be interesting to watch. It seemed that during the Crean era, anyone that got a sniff from the NBA scouts would leave...all the while, Miles Bridges returns. Grayson Allen returns. Frank Kaminsky returns. Etc. Do some coaches push their players to the NBA, do some coaches try to hold on to their players (for better, or for worse)?

I really hope Archie...through no fault of his own...doesn't lose out on a 2018/19 Morgan AND Romeo. We would be looking at another rebuild based on tradition and "I know we aren't real good right now...please overlook us getting blown out by the other team recruiting you...but we could be real good with you here" recruiting.

IU needs to catch a break...and that break is the return of Morgan and the arrival of Romeo. If that happens, our program goes to the moon in a hurry.

I can't see us falling to that level. Smith, Davis and Moore alone are a promising front court next year with some development. Add in Thompson and Forrester and we should be fine at forward next year. Guard wise, Romeo would be a great get, but either Phinisee, Hunter, Anderson coming in plus another off-season for Green and Durham should lead to some improvement either way. Add in a sprinkle of McRoberts as a senior having the confidence to score when given the chance and I think we will be solid next year. 

I really don't see any 10 or 12 win seasons ever happening under Archie. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I can't see us falling to that level. Smith, Davis and Moore alone are a promising front court next year with some development. Add in Thompson and Forrester and we should be fine at forward next year. Guard wise, Romeo would be a great get, but either Phinisee, Hunter, Anderson coming in plus another off-season for Green and Durham should lead to some improvement either way. Add in a sprinkle of McRoberts as a senior having the confidence to score when given the chance and I think we will be solid next year. 

I really don't see any 10 or 12 win seasons ever happening under Archie. 

Yea, I guess I should have clarified that I wouldn't view the rebuild like a Crean rebuild.  

I would say our floor next season...meaning no Romeo and no Morgan...is a team like we have now. Mixed bag of results. Maybe enough to tilt a recruit towards the more certain program like Kansas.

A ceiliing? Pick your PG + Romeo + Smith + Morgan + Davis? Yes, please. 

Ultimately, Archie is gonna get us back. And like you said, he won't have any 10-12 win seasons. He's a winner. I just think having at least one of Morgan or Romeo will spring board this program back to where he will ultimately get us regardless.

57 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Yea, I guess I should have clarified that I wouldn't view the rebuild like a Crean rebuild.  

I would say our floor next season...meaning no Romeo and no Morgan...is a team like we have now. Mixed bag of results. Maybe enough to tilt a recruit towards the more certain program like Kansas.

A ceiliing? Pick your PG + Romeo + Smith + Morgan + Davis? Yes, please. 

Ultimately, Archie is gonna get us back. And like you said, he won't have any 10-12 win seasons. He's a winner. I just think having at least one of Morgan or Romeo will spring board this program back to where he will ultimately get us regardless.

Agree. I have a ton of faith in Archie, I just really hope the Langford/Morgan scenario works out, because I think Archie can do great things here. But getting that break would make things a lot easier/quicker and alleviate a ton of headaches for Archie. 

This is not next year specific, but with the storm brewing at Sparty, Wisconsin coming back to Earth as we move away from the Bo era, and Purdue losing a lot next year, the top dog spot in the B1G is there for the taking. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some old fashioned IU/OSU battles at the top in the years to come. 

Archived