5-star guard Boogie Fland Commits to Kentucky

I think a lot of these players are going to simply identify more with Woody than they will with coaches like Self and Calipari now that he's shown he can coach and develop on a high level.  There's a reason schools take chances on the likes of Patrick Ewing and Penny Hardaway.  The big difference is, Woodson can coach.  When he beats Self and Calipari on the floor, the dam will break and the 💡 will come on for a lot of these national writers (Goodman, I'm talking to you).

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

...and I think they're 100% guessing based on past history. Eventually these guys will figure out that IU is going to get players that UK and Kansas really want.

I agree. Everyone said Kansas for Mgbako.. because they didn't really know. I think it's the same here.

59 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

...and I think they're 100% guessing based on past history. Eventually these guys will figure out that IU is going to get players that UK and Kansas really want.

Both UK and KU fans have an arrogance about them concerning recruiting...And they hate each other...Kentucky fans were joyous because the KU penalties put UK back in the lead for all time wins, while the KU fans said it just gave them a chance to catch the "cheating" Wildcats again...Pot, meet kettle stuff...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Said pretty much the same thing a page or two back. People may disagree but I would include Duke as well. MgBako decommited from Duke and then chose IU over Kansas. My perception is that he saw the promised playing time at Duke diminished and chose to go elsewhere. I see that as a recruiting win for Woodson over Duke!

2 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

Man, that really seems like the perfect definition of a glorified pep rally.

Do you honestly think it's a big day for Woody? He's excited for the half-assed scrimmage? The 10,000th dunk contest he's seen? The Gucci Mane concert? Even if he's a fan, a grown man is excited for a 10 minute show? The players are probably excited, they're still new to hype like that, but I promise you it's not a big day for Woody. 

Maybe Boogie is a fan, maybe Boogie is excited for a glorified pep rally - he's probably never been to one before - so maybe he wants to commit and go. I definitely think that could be the case. But, if Boogie decided on Kentucky last week, he never once tried to time his announcement around our pep rally. It he didn't pick us, our event is no where on his radar. I'm sure Kentucky has a similar event, and Alabama, too, does he have to time his announcement so as not to interfere with those?

A big day for Woodson personally? In that he's excited and looking forward to it? Probably not. It is, however, a big recruiting event and important to the players so it's a big day for Indiana Basketball and, by extension, Woodson.

Does Boogie care? I don't know. But it is still a big day for IU and Woodson. 

As for Kentucky and Alabama, Kentucky already had theirs. Alabama probably has one but I don't know what it's called and can't find info on it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, go_iu_bb said:

A big day for Woodson personally? In that he's excited and looking forward to it? Probably not. It is, however, a big recruiting event and important to the players so it's a big day for Indiana Basketball and, by extension, Woodson.

Does Boogie care? I don't know. But it is still a big day for IU and Woodson. 

As for Kentucky and Alabama, Kentucky already had theirs. Alabama probably has one but I don't know what it's called and can't find info on it. 

I think Alabama’s event occurs in the tailgating parking lots near the cornhole sets so people will attend

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, KDB said:

IU received another Rivals FutureCast pick for Boogie from a Rutgers writer, Richard Schnyderite. 

He hits at about a 90% clip. One he did it get wrong recently was Flory. It does seem like most of his picks are truly "educated guesses", or in my opinion, exactly how the Crystal Ball should work. 

Not just "I wait around for concrete evidence/inside info and then I put in a CB pick".... that's a flawed, skewed system in my eyes. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 4

Just now, Hoosierdave said:

Has Rabby said anything recently? He’s friends with Slater, who a while back called out Trilly for not getting details correct with this recruitment. 

728F3889-2A21-4884-933D-A7CD15A83FFC.thumb.png.e414f21f6008a9b3bdc6753ee5cbcc27.png

He was referring to Bama, who was essentially not in it at all.

7 minutes ago, KDB said:

He was referring to Bama, who was essentially not in it at all.

Yea I definitely understand that’s what he was saying at the time. My point being that Slater clearly knows more than Trilly in regards to this specific recruitment, and I’m sure Slater has been passing along tidbits to Rabby given their friendship. 

8 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Yea I definitely understand that’s what he was saying at the time. My point being that Slater clearly knows more than Trilly in regards to this specific recruitment, and I’m sure Slater has been passing along tidbits to Rabby given their friendship. 

Slater is always tight lipped. 

One thing I keep coming back to...and it has to be important to players with NBA aspirations...

No one Woody competes with for recruits has had the level of success as a player and as a coach in the NBA that Woody has. Calipari, Self and Scheyer may pitch "I can get you to the NBA", but Woody can pitch, "Not only can I get you to the NBA, but I've also experienced enough to know what it takes to succeed and stay once you are there."

None of the guys Woody is competing with can say that.  Howard is the closest, but he never had an NBA head coaching gig and the product he's putting on the floor at Michigan is not all that inspiring unless you want to be a professional slap fighter.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I think trying to say Woody has a better NBA pitch than Calipari is a bit of fool's gold.  They both have incredible pitches on providing and nurturing a path to the league, but I'm not sure recruits would see much of daylight between them

Eh, I'd respectfully disagree...maybe more on the substance than the style as I get that Cal sells a good story to recruits.  Personally, I see Cal's pitch as a bit of fools gold.  At least most of the players Cal has gotten to the NBA, an average college coach could have likely got them there as well.  Then there's the Harrison twins and the Skal Labissiere disasters (among others) where highly ranked recruits clearly underperformed expectations.

Where Cal excels is selling the dream.  That and a lot of illicit benefits has gotten him the talent to appear successful in getting kids to the NBA.  I'd argue that if he had average RECRUITING success, his NBA track record would likewise be average.  His foray into the NBA was by most standards, poor.  A little over two seasons as head coach with less than a 40% win record.  Conversely, Mike Woodson's last head coaching job in the NBA produced a 58% win record and he has nine years head coaching experience.  That's not even considering Woodson's successful NBA PLAYING career.

Maybe recruits don't see much daylight between them, but if they don't, I'd argue they haven't done their homework.  Aside from creating a slick recruiting machine at UK, I'm not overly impressed by what Cal has done with all the talent he's been able to amass and there's a significant portion of the Kentucky fanbase that would readily agree with that assessment.  I could see more recruits coming to this conclusion as the evidence piles up, and now that the playing field is much more even, there's going to be a lot more pressure on Cal to get the kind of talent he needs to win games.

It's pretty hard for me to get past the fact that Cal cheated, and cheated and cheated to get the players he needed to be successful.  He's the guy who showed the path to the Will Wades of the basketball world and it's nice to see Cal now having to actually work for recruits rather than just be the high bidder.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

From Chris on BTB(in reference to the photo below): "A guy on Peegs reached out to Richard Schnyderite asking if he could share why he put in a future cast for IU. He responded that it's not a lock but he is hearing more and more good things about IU.  Woodson can get him better prepared for the NBA is what Boogie is thinking. Richard is the UCONN rivals guy who lives in NY"

Boogie sees daylight! 😜

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Eh, I'd respectfully disagree...maybe more on the substance than the style as I get that Cal sells a good story to recruits.  Personally, I see Cal's pitch as a bit of fools gold.  At least most of the players Cal has gotten to the NBA, an average college coach could have likely got them there as well.  Then there's the Harrison twins and the Skal Labissiere disasters (among others) where highly ranked recruits clearly underperformed expectations.

Where Cal excels is selling the dream.  That and a lot of illicit benefits has gotten him the talent to appear successful in getting kids to the NBA.  I'd argue that if he had average RECRUITING success, his NBA track record would likewise be average.  His foray into the NBA was by most standards, poor.  A little over two seasons as head coach with less than a 40% win record.  Conversely, Mike Woodson's last head coaching job in the NBA produced a 58% win record and he has nine years head coaching experience.  That's not even considering Woodson's successful NBA PLAYING career.

Maybe recruits don't see much daylight between them, but if they don't, I'd argue they haven't done their homework.  Aside from creating a slick recruiting machine at UK, I'm not overly impressed by what Cal has done with all the talent he's been able to amass and there's a significant portion of the Kentucky fanbase that would readily agree with that assessment.  I could see more recruits coming to this conclusion as the evidence piles up, and now that the playing field is much more even, there's going to be a lot more pressure on Cal to get the kind of talent he needs to win games.

It's pretty hard for me to get past the fact that Cal cheated, and cheated and cheated to get the players he needed to be successful.  He's the guy who showed the path to the Will Wades of the basketball world and it's nice to see Cal now having to actually work for recruits rather than just be the high bidder.

I wonder if any of the kids he recruits know about the 2 vacated Final 4s?

Calipari played 1 year of college ball at UNC-Wilmington...And of course, never sniffed the NBA...

In his 13 season at Kentucky, he's never had less than 6 RSCI top 100 players on his roster...

First year (2009-10) He nabbed John Wall (2), Boogie Cousins (3), and Daniel Orton (19)...All left for the NBA after 1 year...All 3 were only in college because of NBA rules...And they didn't need much development for the league...

2010-11 Brandon Knight (4), Enes Kanter (7), Terrance Jones (11), Doron Lamb (26), and Stacy Poole (50...Knight left for the NBA after 1 year, Jones and Lamb stayed 2 years at UK, Kanter was never eligible because he played professionally overseas, and Poole transferred to Georgia Tech...

2011-12 Anthony Davis (1), Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (3), Marquis Teague (7), and Kyle Wiltjer(19). Davis, MKG, and Teague all went pro after 1 season. Wiltjer stayed another year, then went to Gonzaga to finish his college career. That team did win the National Championship...

2012-13 Nerlens Noel (1), Alex Poythress (8), Archie Goodwin (10), and Willie Cauley-Stein (38)...Noel and Goodwin played for the Cats for 1 year, Poythress 4, and WCS 3...That team didn't make the NCAAs and were beaten by Robert Morris in the NIT 1st round 😮 

The last 3 years, he's only nabbed 1 top 10 kid (Cason Wallace #8), and 2 other top 20 kids (TyTy Washington and Damion Collins)...

The impressive thing to me is that he got so many talented kids to go to UK, but that's throttled a bit by HOW he got them there...Now that they field is even, Cal seems to be coming back to the pack :)

And a lot of UK fans believe (as do I) that he needs top tier talent to win because he's not the best Xs and Os guy in the world...

• Like 2