5-star guard Boogie Fland Commits to Kentucky

I’m going to repost what I posted the day before Mack committed in May.  How’s this relate to Boogie?  Very little other than I tried to look at that with rationale at the time and the Kansas picks were gut instinct just like the UK picks have been over the last 24 hours.   In doing the same with Boogie….

Rationale reasons why I think he’ll pick IU

Being called out on ESPN by Liam to join him on the court 

Announcing his time a day after Liam commits 

Woody just handed the keys to a frosh PG last year, who shot up the rankings ladder to a mid first round pick.

NBA, NY, Melo.

NIL with Cuban and them following each other.  My below post was before Mack and Cuban followed each other.

Trillys countdown post and Liam Boogie rap video

The only official picks have been for IU.

one last thing - I happen to think that sometimes when the winds are blowing pretty heavy in one direction, and word seems to be getting out, it purposely gets leaked the other way to try and keep the element of surprise and not to ruin the announcement.

I have no sources.  What I do know is that Louisville was supposedly the favorite.  He visits Kansas, despite a bunch of commit and cancel IU trip rumors, neither happens.  He goes to IU, the Louisville trip gets cancelled, officially announces its down to IU and Kansas. Let’s IU do a somewhat cheesy video with him and CMW, that isn’t cheesy if he commits to IU.  Add in guaranteed playing time and if these Kansas crystal ballers are picking on gut instinct, I think their gut is wrong.  Using common sense and the timeline facts I’m not sure how anyone can draw any other conclusion?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You must be new here. 

Moses Abraham recruitment had tons of pages and people were posting candles In prayer for him to be a Hoosier. Didn’t happen and Moses was a mediocre college player. 

Kind of a joke on HSN.

While I don't recall participating in the prayer vigil for Moses Abraham, I still can't help but feel slightly embarrassed every time I see that candle reference.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, 94Bulldog said:

I’m going to repost what I posted the day before Mack committed in May.  How’s this relate to Boogie?  Very little other than I tried to look at that with rationale at the time and the Kansas picks were gut instinct just like the UK picks have been over the last 24 hours.   In doing the same with Boogie….

Rationale reasons why I think he’ll pick IU

Being called out on ESPN by Liam to join him on the court 

Announcing his time a day after Liam commits 

Woody just handed the keys to a frosh PG last year, who shot up the rankings ladder to a mid first round pick.

NBA, NY, Melo.

NIL with Cuban and them following each other.  My below post was before Mack and Cuban followed each other.

Trillys countdown post and Liam Boogie rap video

The only official picks have been for IU.

one last thing - I happen to think that sometimes when the winds are blowing pretty heavy in one direction, and word seems to be getting out, it purposely gets leaked the other way to try and keep the element of surprise and not to ruin the announcement.

I have no sources.  What I do know is that Louisville was supposedly the favorite.  He visits Kansas, despite a bunch of commit and cancel IU trip rumors, neither happens.  He goes to IU, the Louisville trip gets cancelled, officially announces its down to IU and Kansas. Let’s IU do a somewhat cheesy video with him and CMW, that isn’t cheesy if he commits to IU.  Add in guaranteed playing time and if these Kansas crystal ballers are picking on gut instinct, I think their gut is wrong.  Using common sense and the timeline facts I’m not sure how anyone can draw any other conclusion?

I see your argument and counter with...

image.thumb.jpeg.2f6b111ae1645eb0c0f64cfb1b9bb633.jpeg

...a seasoned developer and leader of men...

calmoney.jpg.869ea37e80ef4bc7aa6a8e8bf9fa9b70.jpg

...a generous financial aid package...

Caths.jpg.7645ea38df1e5875326c490fcc87c8d1.jpg

...and a supportive fanbase...

• Haha 2

History! A lot of us are reliving the last few decades and see us losing. A lot of talking heads are seeing Cal always gets his man. 
We have already seen history being rewritten concerning recruiting against Kansas. I’m not buying anymore that IU can’t recruit against the likes of Kensucky. Time for people to change their diet and get a new gut feeling!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bville_Hoosier said:

Also, until Cuban unfollows Boogie or Vice versa, I still think we have a chance! Cuban and Mgbako followed each other the night before his announcement. Liam and Cuban started following each other the week before his announcement. Fino and Cuban started following each other the night before his announcement. Now Boogie and Cuban start following each other the morning he announces his commitment date. Seems to be a pretty good track record here.  

IMG_0361.jpeg

Very good point. 

8 hours ago, Danomatic said:

While I certainly don’t feel strongly about anything at this point, I’d love nothing more than for Woody to beat Cal at his own game. Not only would this make Indiana even more attractive to the EYBL kids, but it would stir the old echoes of blue blood prominence. Especially if the Hoosiers can have sustained success.

I think it's fair to say that Woody doesn't and won't play Cal's game. Cal has long been thought of as slimy and a cheat on the recruiting trail. Coach Woodson won't sink down to his level. I have said it before, Woodson has too many weapons at is disposal to try to beat Cal at is own game. JMO

10 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

I'm not buying that logic. It's a glorified pep-rally, it's not some IU holy day. If he's picking Kentucky, he probably forgot it's even happening.

Yes, you're probably right...He either threw a dart at a calendar or drew the date from a hat...

Call it what you will, but I'm positive it's a big day for Woody and the Team...Do they hire high priced musical talent for a "glorified pep rally"?

29 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I think it's fair to say that Woody doesn't and won't play Cal's game. Cal has long been thought of as slimy and a cheat on the recruiting trail. Coach Woodson won't sink down to his level. I have said it before, Woodson has too many weapons at is disposal to try to beat Cal at is own game. JMO

I guess that I should’ve been more specific. To further elaborate on what I meant to imply is that I’d love nothing more than for Woody to beat Cal out for a top level guard, projected to someday play in the league.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Woodson and Cal are actually very good friends.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yes, you're probably right...He either threw a dart at a calendar or drew the date from a hat...

Call it what you will, but I'm positive it's a big day for Woody and the Team...Do they hire high priced musical talent for a "glorified pep rally"?

Man, that really seems like the perfect definition of a glorified pep rally.

Do you honestly think it's a big day for Woody? He's excited for the half-assed scrimmage? The 10,000th dunk contest he's seen? The Gucci Mane concert? Even if he's a fan, a grown man is excited for a 10 minute show? The players are probably excited, they're still new to hype like that, but I promise you it's not a big day for Woody. 

Maybe Boogie is a fan, maybe Boogie is excited for a glorified pep rally - he's probably never been to one before - so maybe he wants to commit and go. I definitely think that could be the case. But, if Boogie decided on Kentucky last week, he never once tried to time his announcement around our pep rally. It he didn't pick us, our event is no where on his radar. I'm sure Kentucky has a similar event, and Alabama, too, does he have to time his announcement so as not to interfere with those?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Do you honestly think it's a big day for Woody? He's excited for the half-assed scrimmage? The 10,000th dunk contest he's seen? The Gucci Mane concert? Even if he's a fan, a grown man is excited for a 10 minute show? The players are probably excited, they're still new to hype like that, but I promise you it's not a big day for Woody. 

Maybe Boogie is a fan, maybe Boogie is excited for a glorified pep rally - he's probably never been to one before - so maybe he wants to commit and go. I definitely think that could be the case. But, if Boogie decided on Kentucky last week, he never once tried to time his announcement around our pep rally. It he didn't pick us, our event is no where on his radar. I'm sure Kentucky has a similar event, and Alabama, too, does he have to time his announcement so as not to interfere with those?

Kentucky's was on 10/13...

Alabama, according to most all sources, isn't a player in the recruitment...

Yes, I do think it's a big deal for Woody, the players, and the fans...there will be a lot of folks in SSAH on Friday... 

I don't think the timing of his announcement is a coincidence at all... and the only way I can interpret him picking 10/20 is good news for us... 

That's simply my opinion... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Danomatic said:

I guess that I should’ve been more specific. To further elaborate on what I meant to imply is that I’d love nothing more than for Woody to beat Cal out for a top level guard, projected to someday play in the league.

Well said. I'd also add, with NIL, we can now compete in recruiting with certain teams without having to play the bag game.  The recruiting game and power have shifted. Now is the perfect time to have someone like CMW as our CEO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

I find a lot of things to be glorified wastes of time, but to some, they aren't. So I respect that, and operate accordingly. I assume most people do the same in life, Boogie is probably no different. 

and just like @IUFLA.. I find the timing to be very interesting, and I would find it to be, at least marginally, disrespectful to announce for UK on Friday. Just don't see it happening. 

• Like 3

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/i-ve-got-five-on-it-where-things-stand-with-top-uncommitted-seniors

RANKING: No. 10

WHAT’S GOING ON? Fland will announce his decision on Oct. 20 at a ceremony at New York’s Archbishop Stepinac High School, where he became a star and a top-flight prospect. He’s narrowed his focus to include just Alabama, Kentucky and Indiana and has already visited each campus.

The last few months have seen all three coaching staffs make multiple visits to his school as none of the three schools that remain in play have started to wave the white flag. Fland’s recruitment has been one of the more contested races of the 2024 cycle.

CASSIDY’S TAKE: Nothing feels certain as we head toward Fland’s commitment. Concrete information on which way the five-star guard is leaning is exceedingly difficult to come by these days, but it would be both a cop-out and a lie if I wrote that I see it as a three-way tossup. With that in mind, I see the hierarchy as Kentucky, Indiana, Alabama – in that order.

I’d be stunned if the pick were Alabama, but Mike Woodson’s Hoosiers closing the gap and winning out still feels like a possibility, even if I’m leaning toward UK as I type this. This is a two-horse race in the final corner. I wrote this a month or so ago and have heard nothing thus far that would make me want to alter the pecking order I outlined at the time. We’ll see, though.