NIL, the AD, and where does the line get drawn (Hoosier Hysterics)

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Since they really can't control NIL, I look for them to try to exert more control over the portal and transfers...I think they'll get plenty of support from coaches and administrators on that...

Until the first lawsuit :) 

NCAA already lost a suit restricting second transfers

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Great post.  I'm right there with you.  I absolutely hate the NIL and the farce it makes of amateur sports, but since it's not going away, I'm at least appreciative of how it's leveled the playing field and taken away the biggest cheating element in college sports.  I find it laughable that the NCAA has a tampering "rule" that appears even less effective than the pro version.

Now, all that's left is to eliminate the requirement for the athletes to attend classes.  Let the ones go that want to and let the rest stay in the gym.  If you require ANY class,it should be of the personal finance variety.  Help these kids hang onto the money they make and otherwise, let them learn their sport.  It's silly to pretend that most of these elite athletes have any interest in the classroom. Eventually,  I could see teams only affiliated to schools via sponsorship.

I feel like the amateur part of amateur sports has been a farce for quite some time, at least for college basketball and football. When schools and coaches are making millions of dollars, they’re going to be incentivized to pay players in order to attract talent whether it’s against the rules or not.

That being said the current model doesn’t feel sustainable. I think eventually this will end up with players being employees which would hopefully allow multi-year employment contracts and some year to year stability. IMO it’s more the transfer portal that makes all this feel so different rather than the NIL aspect

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

NCAA already lost a suit restricting second transfers

As I read it, the rule is under an injunction...For the time being, underclassmen can transfer twice without penalty...

"The NCAA also said athletes would "continue to be subject to all other existing eligibility legislation and to any eligibility standards required for competition that may be developed or modified for the 2024-25 academic year."

The lawsuit is scheduled for a jury trial in June 2025 in Wheeling, West Virginia."

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

As I read it, the rule is under an injunction...For the time being, underclassmen can transfer twice without penalty...

"The NCAA also said athletes would "continue to be subject to all other existing eligibility legislation and to any eligibility standards required for competition that may be developed or modified for the 2024-25 academic year."

The lawsuit is scheduled for a jury trial in June 2025 in Wheeling, West Virginia."

Yes, but...

In granting the temporary restraining order, the court found that there is a likelihood of success on the merits of the claims. This means the judge believes the state attorney generals will likely prevail on their claim that the NCAA’s transfer waiver rules violate federal antitrust law, according to sports law attorney Mit Winter.

Reynolds and Battle both told the court that the NCAA was preventing them from earning pay from their NIL contracts at each school.

“It’s harder to make more money,” Reynolds said of not playing this season.

Battle compared his “NIL contract” at WVU to an employment contract and says the NCAA is preventing him from accessing his full payment. “I’m not going to get what I signed for,” he said.

https://sports.yahoo.com/judges-ruling-grants-all-ncaa-transfers-temporary-eligibility-paving-way-for-potential-permanent-change-193130982.html

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Just going to leave this here because the conclusion they reach is because of NIL. Like it or hate it, our program will benefit from it. 

I’ve posted a few times that the programs with established runners and bag men still have advantages. However, their advantages disappear when players don’t have the baggage around them. AAU coaches and promoters, family and people all holding out their hands. I like the recruits IU has been landing because of that. MgBako’s mom calling coach, Newton saying he wouldn’t transfer because he made a commitment, Tucker’s dad saying he wanted a Pro Coach. Those players 👍👍👍

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I’ve posted a few times that the programs with established runners and bag men still have advantages. However, their advantages disappear when players don’t have the baggage around them. AAU coaches and promoters, family and people all holding out their hands. I like the recruits IU has been landing because of that. MgBako’s mom calling coach, Newton saying he wouldn’t transfer because he made a commitment, Tucker’s dad saying he wanted a Pro Coach. Those players 👍👍👍

I’d think that handlers looking to sell access to a player are mostly a thing of the past because players can now have legit, licensed agents. NIL or not, people who surround these kids will always be looking for handouts. However, I’d imagine that players are better protected now from that dark world of recruiting than what used to exist. 

Sure, I like that parents of our players are heavily involved in their well-being, but I don’t think our players are all that different from players you’ll find in many other programs. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Reacher said:

looks like IU might be on the outside looking in. They arent a part of the 7 of the 8 listed for this year, or the 13 of the 16 for next year and beyond. 

Seems like IU needs to spearhead something like it and grab some schools to create something similar. This is a huge NIL boosting opportunity that everyone not a part of it is missing out on.

Maybe something with Adidas and the Adidas schools in Miami... because I'm only an hour away :)

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

looks like IU might be on the outside looking in. They arent a part of the 7 of the 8 listed for this year, or the 13 of the 16 for next year and beyond. 

Seems like IU needs to spearhead something like it and grab some schools to create something similar. This is a huge NIL boosting opportunity that everyone not a part of it is missing out on.

Maybe something with Adidas and the Adidas schools in Miami... because I'm only an hour away :)

I was thinking of something in Chicago :cheers: