NIL, the AD, and where does the line get drawn (Hoosier Hysterics)

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

this is the one where we take money from our pockets and send it directly to the athletes of our favorite school, in hopes they won't transfer? Is this that one? or? 

NIL is wild to me lol 

dressed up as "Hoosiers connect" 😆

Not one player at Army has an NIL deal. Not permitted in the military academies. 

14 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Not sure how transfering in and out of a military college works but...   Army had a freshman(Ethan Roberts) enter the portal after last season.  Patriot League Rookie of the Year.  He's at Drake now.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Jordan Rayford transferred from Air Force to IU.

4 minutes ago, DWB said:

On the pregame radio show with Fisch, the Army coach confirmed that they could not use the portal. Maybe it's a very recent thing, but I thought he should know....

I looked it up and West Point does not take transfers at all. People wanting to attend after taking some college must apply and go through 4 years just like kids right out of HS.

It appears players can transfer out, though. As I previously noted, Jordan Rayford entered the portal and ended up at IU from Air Force.

There were 2 Army basketball players in the transfer portal last spring, so the players can leave that way:

https://www.on3.com/college/army-black-knights/transfer-portal/wire/basketball/2023/

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DWB said:

On the pregame radio show with Fisch, the Army coach confirmed that they could not use the portal. Maybe it's a very recent thing, but I thought he should know....

I would think it’s one way only!? You can’t lock a kid in but the criteria to get in the service academies is stringent! You wouldn’t be able to just think I can get in!

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

NCAA proposal for NIL...

If Division I schools choose to adopt the rules, they would be allowed to enter into name, image and likeness deals directly with their athletes.

Reads like misdirection aimed at protecting the NCAA from litigation and government! Didn’t see any real solutions to the Wild West that’s going on now?! 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Reads like misdirection aimed at protecting the NCAA from litigation and government! Didn’t see any real solutions to the Wild West that’s going on now?! 🤷🏼‍♂️

Oregon is facing a lawsuit from their Women's Beach Volleyball team regarding inequality in facilities and NIL opportunities.  Schools jumping into these collectives and paying the athletes themselves are going to have to distribute the money evenly to everyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Oregon is facing a lawsuit from their Women's Beach Volleyball team regarding inequality in facilities and NIL opportunities.  Schools jumping into these collectives and paying the athletes themselves are going to have to distribute the money evenly to everyone.

Communism...the enemy of meritocracy.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

They want all of the rocks removed

image.thumb.png.24417fdce2c01ea71db6a72e7e599f6c.png

It doesn't sound like they have their own lockers, they have to share with visitors and don't have access to those when visiting teams are in town.  They specifically pointed out that the football team has Ferrari leather seats, their own workout facility, and a literal throne room and said it is unequal treatment.

By the letter of the law w.r.t. Title IX, it is hard to argue that isn't the case.  That is the issue schools are going to have, Title IX exists on one hand and the want to be minor leagues in the two sports that make money exists on the other.  If the schools start paying players they will have to divide all that money equally.  Say you decided to pay your football and basketball teams $30k each.  That is $3 million (roughly).  You then need to come up with another $3 million to pay all those women's sports that are money losers on top of their scholarships.  

• Like 1

I think I am starting to lose my enthusiasm for college sports because of all of this non sense.  I still love coming on here and discussing sports because I don't have much else to fo with my time. I still watch the games but my excitement for games aren't like it use to be. Use to on IU game day that game was the only thing on my mind and had a nervous energy waiting for the game. I just don't have that now and I blame it on all of the NIL and portal talk.  It al.ost seems like the off season is more entertaining than the actual games. It is like that in pro sports a lot of times because free agency and the draft are better than the season.

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

It doesn't sound like they have their own lockers, they have to share with visitors and don't have access to those when visiting teams are in town.  They specifically pointed out that the football team has Ferrari leather seats, their own workout facility, and a literal throne room and said it is unequal treatment.

By the letter of the law w.r.t. Title IX, it is hard to argue that isn't the case.  That is the issue schools are going to have, Title IX exists on one hand and the want to be minor leagues in the two sports that make money exists on the other.  If the schools start paying players they will have to divide all that money equally.  Say you decided to pay your football and basketball teams $30k each.  That is $3 million (roughly).  You then need to come up with another $3 million to pay all those women's sports that are money losers on top of their scholarships.  

Wasn't it a couple of years ago there was a problem with the difference in the facilities between the women's and men's basketball. I think it was during the covid year and the difference in the two was so bad the NCAA got called out on it.

36 minutes ago, Indykev said:

How many schools have Beach volleyball? Is it a club sport or D1? If they play in bikini's I will donate 50 truck loads of the best white sand money can buy for IU to start a team.

Apparently there are 62 D1 women's beach volleyball programs including, wait for it: U of Nebraska. 

It's weird at Oregon. They count it as one of their 20 varsity level sports, but it's the only one that has never offered a scholarship. 

4 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That’ll help kill it! They don’t even realize what they are doing.  People donating to collectives won’t like not having say over where the money is going.

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Literally free agency every year. Was watching Oklahoma yesterday against Arizona and remembered Dillon Gabriel transferred to Oregon. Transfer portal/NIL has quite literally ruined the non-CFP bowl games. They’re practically glorified exhibition games now with 1/2 the team gone.

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Literally free agency every year. Was watching Oklahoma yesterday against Arizona and remembered Dillon Gabriel transferred to Oregon. Transfer portal/NIL has quite literally ruined the non-CFP bowl games. They’re practically glorified exhibition games now with 1/2 the team gone.

This is exactly how I feel about the bowl games. You use to be able to have bragging rights and assess the strength of conferences from bowl match-ups.  I have very little interest watching 2nd and 3rd string players making their first starts. Watch how ESPN/SEC beat their chest and justify what they did to FSU when Georgia waxes FSU without 20 of their players in some nothing bowl game.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

This is exactly how I feel about the bowl games. You use to be able to have bragging rights and assess the strength of conferences from bowl match-ups.  I have very little interest watching 2nd and 3rd string players making their first starts. Watch how ESPN/SEC beat their chest and justify what they did to FSU when Georgia waxes FSU without 20 of their players in some nothing bowl game.

Right…. if GA beats them, it will be “see Fla St didn’t deserve to….”. There are only three games that have real meaning. The rest….. meh. 

• Like 1