Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

I came across this article and actually found the heading pretty funny! “Slayed Goliath?”….. I get that they were the #1 team in the nation, at the time, but it was just a matter of time. The headline makes it seem they were untouchable. The ONLY thing I could think of that was Goliath worthy of Purdue was that Zach Edey is 7’4” and almost the tallest player in the NCAA. Jamarion Sharp from Western KY is 7’5”.😳

Yes, Purdue is one of the top teams in the NCAA, but Goliath worthy? Naaaa.

It definitely feels good to be one of 3 teams to have knocked off Purdue. 
3DE032F5-334D-41AC-BE09-42819A08B741.thumb.jpeg.84cc8dff511ac2e5a99726ceab10252c.jpeg

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It's kind of an important semantic. 

Why?

Simply reaching over a player to snare a rebound isn't a foul, BUT if you commit illegal contact while doing so it IS a foul...

@ledies22 simply phrased it as an oft used expression (even by commentators) to describe it...

A rose by any other name, if you will... 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Why?

Simply reaching over a player to snare a rebound isn't a foul, BUT if you commit illegal contact while doing so it IS a foul...

@ledies22 simply phrased it as an oft used expression (even by commentators) to describe it...

A rose by any other name, if you will... 

because when you’re 7’4 it’s pretty typical to get a rebound over someone without the illegal contact. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

because when you’re 7’4 it’s pretty typical to get a rebound over someone without the illegal contact. 

And I said, if a player (Edey) simply reaches over and grabs a rebound, it's not a foul...

BUT, if he commits illegal contact, as @ledies22 insinuates, doesn't matter what you call it (semantics, as he said) it's a foul...

His phrasing isn't stated in the rule book, but you can't tell me you haven't heard a play by play commentator, color analyst, or even a coach in the post game use that (familiar) phrase... I hear it all the time...much easier than saying "a foul through illegal contact with Xs back while trying to secure a rebound." 

Semantics at its best, any way you slice it... 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And I said, if a player (Edey) simply reaches over and grabs a rebound, it's not a foul...

BUT, if he commits illegal contact, as @ledies22 insinuates, doesn't matter what you call it (semantics, as he said) it's a foul...

His phrasing isn't stated in the rule book, but you can't tell me you haven't heard a play by play commentator, color analyst, or even a coach in the post game use that (familiar) phrase... I hear it all the time...much easier than saying "a foul through illegal contact with Xs back while trying to secure a rebound." 

Semantics at its best, any way you slice it... 

I disagree with your interpretation of that, but okay.

I think a lot of people don’t actually know the rule. I wish coaches, commentators, etc. would pick a different description because there’s a lot of misconceptions about what a foul on a rebound is. 

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I disagree with your interpretation of that, but okay.

I think a lot of people don’t actually know the rule. I wish coaches, commentators, etc. would pick a different description because there’s a lot of misconceptions about what a foul on a rebound is. 

Think about it like this...

"Travelling" is described in the rulebook...

But people call it "steps" or "walking."

Just because something isn't described by name in the rulebook, doesn't mean you, @ledies22, or a commentator can't use it to describe what you saw happen... 

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Think about it like this...

"Travelling" is described in the rulebook...

But people call it "steps" or "walking."

Just because something isn't described by name in the rulebook, doesn't mean you, @ledies22, or a commentator can't use it to describe what you saw happen... 

You gave an example of slang for an actual violation to compare it to something that describes something that literally isn’t a foul.

That said, a lot of basketball fans don’t know a travel when they see one, either. 

14 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You gave an example of slang for an actual violation to compare it to something that describes something that literally isn’t a foul.

That said, a lot of basketball fans don’t know a travel when they see one, either. 

So procuring a rebound through illegal contact with a player who has inside position on you can't ever be described by a commentator or color analyst as "over the back" again without you or @BruceDouglas sending a nasty email correcting that affront to basketball knowledge?  Ok 

😂😂😂

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So procuring a rebound through illegal contact with a player who has inside position on you can't ever be described by a commentator or color analyst as "over the back" again without you or @BruceDouglas sending a nasty email correcting that affront to basketball knowledge?  Ok 

😂😂😂

You can calm it whatever you want when it actually happens, but if you’re understanding of a foul on a rebound is as simple as ‘over the back’ you’re probably going to get frustrated at how games are officiated.

Of all the things to talk about Edey getting away with, that’s probably one of the more poor choices someone could make. He doesn’t have to foul to get rebounds over people. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You can calm it whatever you want when it actually happens, but if you’re understanding of a foul on a rebound is as simple as ‘over the back’ you’re probably going to get frustrated at how games are officiated.

Of all the things to talk about Edey getting away with, that’s probably one of the more poor choices someone could make. He doesn’t have to foul to get rebounds over people. 

Screenshot_20230213-183523.thumb.png.76344b59674e0f5bfc6b8e7f96cf20d1.png

😂😂😂

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

It's kind of an important semantic. 

I don’t know why you feel the need to get on here and argue every single little thing. Do you love hearing your keyboard rattle around? 
it is not an important semantic. Why would I question something that is not violation. If someone is simply taller than another player and getting a rebound, it is not a foul. 
If said taller player is being blocked out and the player is making some sort of illegal contact to gain advantage to make a rebound….. that is, maybe not technical term (semantics), an over the back. The announcers call it over the back, the refs at the scorers table calls it over the back. 

• Like 2

Good stuff from the NW board:

Where I am exaggerating, I will note. Otherwise, this is close to verbatim:

It was the worst officiated game in B1G history.
Matt Painter is a terrible coach. If he just taught players how to attack a press, they would have won.
The whole second half, Purdue could get wide open looks for threes and just could not hit a shot.
NU fouled on practically every possession.
Northwestern played football, while Purdue played basketball.
Northwestern set moving picks almost every time they had the ball, but it was not called once.
The BIG office needs to call in all the refs and reinstruct them that mugging players is a foul.
The NU student body is a bunch of drunken, insufferable jerks who should be reprimanded by the conference.
Chase Audige is in his eighth year of eligibility.
It is really unfair how other teams beat up on Edey. He is fouled every time he touches the ball or tries to rebound. Viciously.
Teams have figured out Purdue’s weaknesses, and the Boilers will be lucky to win three more conference games.
It is really unfair that teams like NU and Rutgers, with veteran, physical guards, should be allowed to intimidate the Purdue guards, because the Purdue guards lack experience. The officials should allow the Boiler guards more freedom of movement to compensate for their inexperience. (Ok, that was an exaggeration. What they actually said was that it was unfair for teams to play physically on fighting screens and working traps, and if fouls were called on plays like that their guards would not turn the ball over as much.)
Purdue lost the game. Northwestern surely did not win it.
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, rico said:

It is really unfair that teams like NU and Rutgers, with veteran, physical guards, should be allowed to intimidate the Purdue guards, because the Purdue guards lack experience. The officials should allow the Boiler guards more freedom of movement to compensate for their inexperience. (Ok, that was an exaggeration. What they actually said was that it was unfair for teams to play physically on fighting screens and working traps, and if fouls were called on plays like that their guards would not turn the ball over as much.)
Purdue lost the game. Northwestern surely did not win it.

That is pretty funny. 

I mean I agree with Purdue fans the B1G needs to change how it allows games to be played, but the fact that they don't see the reality that Purdue is a large part of the problem with how the league plays today is hilarious.

Sorry the league of mud fighting you all created doesn't help you now, but don't cry to anyone about it you little turds. 

• Like 1