Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

We are still the second 4 on Bracket Matrix, even with the update yesterday which factored in the Iowa loss. We are in a good spot.

Since the real life Selection Committee released their top 16 seeds, which we were the second 4 seed then, we have wins over Illinois and Purdue, with losses to Iowa and MSU. Potentially two quad 1 wins since that release and no "bad" loses, in terms of NCAA perception (Iowa was bad in reality, very bad).

We are in a much better spot for seeding than some of you think. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I guess Rutgers COULD lose to Minnesota, but that's a real longshot...

And you're right...After tonight we'll have a much better picture of what needs to happen over the weekend...

For you guys who're more worried about NCAA seeding, I guess you'd rather have the 3 than the 4 (which is where Lunardi has us now) just to avoid a Sweet Sixteen game against #1?

I think your first 3 games are significantly more winnable as a 3 than as a 4/5. 

14 seeds rarely win their first game, 12 and 13 seeds regularly do.

The difference in playing a 6 seed (or even 11 seed) as opposed to a 4/5 is pretty dang big, too. 

And yeah, I'd much rather play a 2 in the E8 and then a 1 seed only have two days to prep for TJD and JHS, than the 1 seed have 5 days to prep for those two. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We are still the second 4 on Bracket Matrix, even with the update yesterday which factored in the Iowa loss. We are in a good spot.

Since the real life Selection Committee released their top 16 seeds, which we were the second 4 seed then, we have wins over Illinois and Purdue, with losses to Iowa and MSU. Potentially two quad 1 wins since that release and no "bad" loses, in terms of NCAA perception (Iowa was bad in reality, very bad).

We are in a much better spot for seeding than some of you think. 

Agree.. so at that point, I don't see that ILL is that much a factor. It's already viewed as a good win, I mean it's a top 35 road win...

Go beat MSU, Iowa, and Purdue in the tourney.... boom 3 seed. 

Plus... I really like the conference tournaments. Last year was a blast, I hope we make another run! 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Agree.. so at that point, I don't see that ILL is that much a factor. It's already viewed as a good win, I mean it's a top 35 road win...

It's a big factor man, it's an additional Quad 1 win.

There's a huge difference in "Indiana is 5-8 against Quad 1 teams, but has two Quad 2 wins that were very close to Quad 1" and "Indiana is 8-8 against Quad 1 competition, which is the 7th most Quad 1 wins in the country". They're evaluating about 80 teams for seeding, so those headline differences really matter.

EDIT: It's NOT the road game at Illinois, it's the home game that is impacted by this. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm with you...

Win Sunday and just keep winning

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It's a big factor man, it's an additional Quad 1 win.

There's a huge difference in "Indiana is 5-8 against Quad 1 teams, but has two Quad 2 wins that were very close to Quad 1" and "Indiana is 8-8 against Quad 1 competition, which is the 7th most Quad 1 wins in the country". They're evaluating about 80 teams for seeding, so those headline differences really matter.

EDIT: It's NOT the road game at Illinois, it's the home game that is impacted by this. 

We aren't getting a three seed at 22-11. 

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I guess Rutgers COULD lose to Minnesota, but that's a real longshot...

And you're right...After tonight we'll have a much better picture of what needs to happen over the weekend...

For you guys who're more worried about NCAA seeding, I guess you'd rather have the 3 than the 4 (which is where Lunardi has us now) just to avoid a Sweet Sixteen game against #1?

I will take a #4 seed in the NCAAT, especially if we get matched up against a #1 UCLA.

• Like 4

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

For real.  We have never won that thing.  Anything that gets us closer to that final game is preferable to getting one more Q1 win.  And if we do well in the tournament, we are adding Q1 wins anyway.

Now.. if we had a time machine and knew ILL was going to beat PU on Sunday?... Hell yeah I'd root for ILL tonight. Just don't see that happening. Either way, last night was crazy good for our BTT seeding. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rico said:

True.  But I still look at what I deem favorable match-ups.

Is it the matchup or you just don't think UCLA is that good? 

They don't seem to have a ton of depth down low... I'm sure we'd have a tough time matching up with them on the perimeter, though. 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Is it the matchup or you just don't think UCLA is that good? 

They don't seem to have a ton of depth down low... I'm sure we'd have a tough time matching up with them on the perimeter, though. 

I don't think they are that good.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

To think it's not looked at all? of course it is.... 

Last years 3 seeds going into the NCAAs- 

Wisconsin- 24-7

Purdue- 25-9

TTU- 27-6

Tennessee 26-7

Okay, it's not one of the main things they look at. I guess it has "some" baring, but it won't be the reason we aren't a 3 seed.

This article gives a good breakdown: 

Most important

• Games by quadrant, listing results and upcoming games
  • Records by quadrant, away and neutral
  • Non-Conference Strength of Schedule (SOS)
  • Overall SOS
  • Overall road and neutral records
  • Non-Division I losses

Some value

• Average NET win and loss
  • Overall record
  • Non-Conference record, road record

Not nothing, but not very important

• NET and other computer rankings
  • Overall home records, non-conference and by quadrant
  • Game scoring margins

Not criteria

• Conference records and standings
  • AP Top 25, Coaches Poll
  • Tournament history

There is also this article that discusses injuries and other factors (playing MSU first home game after shooting). So yeah, I  am much more concerned about the "most important" factors than I am our overall record, especially since we are a textbook definition of the injuries impacting our overall record.