Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I agree with a run in the tourney. Not at 22-11, though. Not once can I remember that weak of record being a 3 seed... especially not in an a non-covid ridden year.. (2020-21) WVU was 19-10 in LOADED B12... 

Winning our next 4 > ILL being Q1 in terms of an NCAA 3 seed. 

Sure, of course us winning 4 more games is more impactful than not.

But this whole conversation started because you guys were talking about what is best for Indiana in games we aren't playing in, which is Illinois (plus Rutgers and MSU) getting into the top 30. That is the most impactful thing that can happen in games we aren't playing in because it guarantees a bump to our resume.

Do we really, really think us being a 2 seed as opposed to a 5 seed in the BTT is going to be the difference in winning it? I don't think that at all, but I guess if that's your angle then it makes sense why you'r more concerned about our BTT seed. 

14 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It would move the needle depending on when they do it the selection, but the easiest way for us to pick up those 3 Quad.1 wins between now and them deciding where Indiana is going is MSU, Rutgers, and Illinois jumping into the Top 30.

Your point is not lost on me...I get it...IF MSU, Rutgers, and Illinois or any combination thereof would get to 30 or higher in the NET, we could possibly end up with 3 more Quad 1 wins, improving our current 5-8 record in Quad 1 games...But that's all fluid...And it's not against the possibility that some of our Quad 1 wins can fall out of that category as well depending on what happens in the next 2 weeks...

My point is, regardless of any of that happening, winning 3 games in the BTT certainly isn't going to detract from our NCAA seeding...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Do we really, really think us being a 2 seed as opposed to a 5 seed in the BTT is going to be the difference in winning it? I don't think that at all

Any game you play in our league, sans possibly Minnesota, is a chance for a loss...So yeah, 3 games as opposed to 4 is a big deal...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

But this whole conversation started because you guys were talking about what is best for Indiana in games we aren't playing in, which is Illinois (plus Rutgers and MSU) getting into the top 30. That is the most impactful thing that can happen in games we aren't playing in because it guarantees a bump to our resume.

Do we really, really think us being a 2 seed as opposed to a 5 seed in the BTT is going to be the difference in winning it? I don't think that at all, but I guess if that's your angle then it makes sense why you'r more concerned about our BTT seed. 

I'm rooting for Michigan tonight because it gives us the best path possible to be a higher seed in the BTT, to make a run in the tournament, and which in return helps our ncaa seed line.

ILL can go beat Purdue on Sunday, make run in the BTT themselves.. maybe they'll end up Q1 then? Idk.  

But yes, undoubtedly being the 2 seed is going to be easier than a 5 seed in terms of winning the BTT, of course. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

We are still the second 4 on Bracket Matrix, even with the update yesterday which factored in the Iowa loss. We are in a good spot.

Since the real life Selection Committee released their top 16 seeds, which we were the second 4 seed then, we have wins over Illinois and Purdue, with losses to Iowa and MSU. Potentially two quad 1 wins since that release and no "bad" loses, in terms of NCAA perception (Iowa was bad in reality, very bad).

We are in a much better spot for seeding than some of you think. 

I thought we were the #1 4 seed in the reveal

• Like 2

Don't count the Badgers out tonight! Man, the more I keep thinking about it,.....Purdue at Wisconsin tonight could be a trap game for them. I could easily see Wisconsin upsetting Purdue tonight! Stranger things have happened. Just look what happened last night! Both NW and Maryland were upset.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

If history tells us anything conference tournaments don't have the impact you're giving them. We see it every single year that those games aren't weighed the same because they've largely made up their brackets prior to tournaments being completed. 

I don't even think of it in those terms.  I know that every year I am tired of hearing how bad we do in the tournament and the fact Indiana has never won it.  Woodson has been erasing some of the "streaks" for the program in the past 2 up and down years, killing this 25? year streak would be lovely.

I would trade a 3 seed for a 4 and a BTT win at this point.  The see matters for one game.  Playing a 5 or 6 in the second round isn't that much difference and then a 1 or 2 in the Sweet 16 is going to be negligible this year too.  There are no "OMG" teams this year.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We can agree to disagree if you think they are weighing those games. Beyond the historical precedent (including us last season, where some people had moved us as high as a 10 and we were in the play-in game), logistically it doesn't make sense.

Without those two wins in the BTT last year we do not get in

• Like 2

I guess I don't understand all of the tie breakers because I wouldn't think the outcome of the UI and UM would be a factor. Say UI wins and that moves both of them to 11-8. We best UM and UI loses to Pursue that would leave both at 11-9

UM wins they are 12-7 and we best them they are 12-8 and we have beaten them both times

30 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

A 5 means you have to play an extra game to win it all.  With as gassed as we have appeared to be lately, I think there is a big difference between 2-4 and 5 for that alone.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I don't even think of it in those terms.  I know that every year I am tired of hearing how bad we do in the tournament and the fact Indiana has never won it.  Woodson has been erasing some of the "streaks" for the program in the past 2 up and down years, killing this 25? year streak would be lovely.

I would trade a 3 seed for a 4 and a BTT win at this point.  The see matters for one game.  Playing a 5 or 6 in the second round isn't that much difference and then a 1 or 2 in the Sweet 16 is going to be negligible this year too.  There are no "OMG" teams this year.

I disagree about your conclusion on the impact of a 3 vs 4. That could be the difference in being in Louisville for the regional if nothing else.... 

Could be the difference in a preferential first round site too... 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I don't understand all of the tie breakers because I wouldn't think the outcome of the UI and UM would be a factor. Say UI wins and that moves both of them to 11-8. We best UM and UI loses to Pursue that would leave both at 11-9

UM wins they are 12-7 and we best them they are 12-8 and we have beaten them both times

Why wouldn't you think that game would be a factor? 

Every game is a factor and it's a BIG game for us. 

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

A 5 means you have to play an extra game to win it all.  With as gassed as we have appeared to be lately, I think there is a big difference between 2-4 and 5 for that alone.

other side of the coin.... if XJ is coming back, extra game for him to get in the flow, assuming a win or two.

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

We are still the second 4 on Bracket Matrix, even with the update yesterday which factored in the Iowa loss. We are in a good spot.

Since the real life Selection Committee released their top 16 seeds, which we were the second 4 seed then, we have wins over Illinois and Purdue, with losses to Iowa and MSU. Potentially two quad 1 wins since that release and no "bad" loses, in terms of NCAA perception (Iowa was bad in reality, very bad).

We are in a much better spot for seeding than some of you think. 

I honestly have no idea whether we've moved up or down since the bracket reveal, but I just wanted to clarify the bold part. Bracket Matrix updates daily, but that does not mean that all of the individual predictions would be up to date. If you look at the date each individual prediction was updated, about half were last updated 2/27 or 2/28, i.e. before the Iowa lost. It's probably a safe assumption that some of those will drop us down once they update their rankings, especially the ones that still have us predicted as a 3 seed.

The general consensus of the brackets that are updated after the Iowa loss seems to be a 4 seed, but there are some 5 seed projections starting to show up, along with one 3 seed and two 6 seed outliers.

Edited by Kdug

1 minute ago, Kdug said:

I honestly have no idea whether we've moved up or down since the bracket reveal, but I just wanted to clarify the bold part. Bracket Matrix updates daily, but that does not mean that all of the individual predictions would be up to date. If you look at the date each individual prediction was updated, more than half were last updated 2/27 or 2/28, i.e. before the Iowa lost. It's probably a safe assumption that some of those will drop us down once they update their rankings, especially the ones that still have us predicted as a 3 seed.

The general consensus of the brackets that are updated after the Iowa loss seems to be a 4 seed, but there are some 5 seed projections starting to show up, along with one 3 seed and two 6 seed outliers.

You kind of gave my response to your first sentence in the rest of your response, but yeah, we still a pretty heavily a 4 in the updated brackets.

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I disagree about your conclusion on the impact of a 3 vs 4. That could be the difference in being in Louisville for the regional if nothing else.... 

Could be the difference in a preferential first round site too... 

Possibly.  I think it is a stretch to get to 3.  We just need Indiana to handle business and the rest will work itself out I guess.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You kind of gave my response to your first sentence in the rest of your response, but yeah, we still a pretty heavily a 4 in the updated brackets.

Right, still firmly on the 4 seed line, but based on the ones that are updated we'd actually fall just behind Xavier and drop to the #3 overall 4 seed (we were the #1 overall 4 seed before Iowa).

6 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Right, still firmly on the 4 seed line, but based on the ones that are updated we'd actually fall just behind Xavier and drop to the #3 overall 4 seed (we were the #1 overall 4 seed before Iowa).

Got it, makes sense.

So need a bit more help to move up then. 

30 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

other side of the coin.... if XJ is coming back, extra game for him to get in the flow, assuming a win or two.

I just see it is important to get more teams to 9 losses and to me UI beating UM would help if we beat UM. The most important thing for me I think is Maryland and NW losing

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just see it is important to get more teams to 9 losses and to me UI beating UM would help if we beat UM. The most important thing for me I think is Maryland and NW losing

Them being at 9 losses means a lower seed for us. Them being at 8 losses means a higher seed for us, it's that simple. 

• Like 1

I'm going to play both sides of the fence here. Like @btownqb and some others, I like the conference tournaments and would not only like to see IU win one, but would also like to see them compete on Saturday and Sunday regularly lile MSU, Michigan, Purdue and some others. I just like the idea of competing and winning these regularly.  

With that said if the discussion is about NCAA seeding, then I'm with @KoB2011. We need those three teams that have been mentioned to become Quad 1 wins. The committee has shown that conference tournaments don't really impact seeding. 

It's not that they don't care or matter, it's just that the bracket is all but locked as we get into Saturday of the conference tournaments. There's very little movement at that point. It might be a team in vs a team out at a particular seed line, but they're not moving teams from seed lines very often at that point. 

Also, from what I've read from people into braketology, it's more about what's on the team sheet as opposed to the overall record or NET ranking. Quad 1 record and Quad 1 wins are really important. No Quad 3 or 4 losses is really important, etc. 

• Like 2