Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

Outside of not knowing what is going on with MSU/Minny.... and also with the caveat "Indiana beats Michigan" because obviously the absolute worst thing to happen would be losing Sunday and would trump anything I mention below... 

-Best case(imo the most realistic of the "best case scenarios")--- Michigan beats ILL tonight, PSU beats Maryland on Sun

... everything else holds serve...

Iowa- 2 seed 

Indiana- 3 seed 

Michigan- 4 seed 

This would be a silly good set up.... We'd have to beat one of UW, Minny, or MSU to reach the Semis. 

-Middle case

- ILL beats UM this evening... Maryland loses at PSU... 

Iowa- 2 seed

Rutgers- 3 seed

Indiana- 4 seed

-Worse case

-ILL beats UM... Maryland beats PSU

Iowa 2 seed

Rutgers 3 seed

Maryland 4 seed

Indiana 5 seed

Edited by btownqb
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Some of us would prefer to have a shot at a 3 seed still as opposed to a bye in a tournament that doesn't even decide who is the conference champion. 

If we win the BTT and beat Michigan, I'll bet we are a 3 seed. 

We have a good road win in ILL... it being quad 1 vs. 2, I doubt does that much in the eyes of the committee. We beat ILL when they were playing well.. and handled them really. That should sit fine enough for the committee. 

Edited by btownqb

14 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think we saw last year how little conference tournament games really impact things for seeding, considering we barely snuck in despite having a great run. 

We aren't moving to the 3 seed line without a run in the conference tourney, regardless if ILL ends up a quad 1 win. 

There was also other factors as to why it took a good run in the tourney to get us in the NCAAs, last season. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

No we do not. We want UI to be top 30 in NET. 

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Some of us would prefer to have a shot at a 3 seed still as opposed to a bye in a tournament that doesn't even decide who is the conference champion. 

I'm afraid that ship has sailed. With the home loss to IA, IU dropped from 18 to 29 in the NET.  I just don't think a 3 is an option now, unless IU wins the BTT and some weird things happen to higher ranked teams. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Outside of not knowing what is going on with MSU/Minny.... and also with the caveat "Indiana beats Michigan" because obviously the absolute worst thing to happen would be losing Sunday and would trump anything I mention below... 

-Best case(imo the most realistic of the "best case scenarios")--- Michigan beats ILL tonight, PSU beats Maryland on Sun

... everything else holds serve...

Iowa- 2 seed 

Indiana- 3 seed 

Michigan- 4 seed 

This would be a silly good set up.... We'd have to beat one of UW, Minny, or MSU to reach the Semis. 

-Middle case

- ILL beats UM this evening... Maryland loses at PSU... 

Iowa- 2 seed

Rutgers- 3 seed

Indiana- 4 seed

-Worse case

-ILL beats UM... Maryland beats PSU

Iowa 2 seed

Rutgers 3 seed

Maryland 4 seed

Indiana 5 seed

Ran it through the scenario generator...

If Michigan beats Illinois and we beat the Wolverines, it doesn't matter what Maryland does...UNLESS Northwestern would beat Rutgers in Piscataway..

image.png.f449543d93682ed96b60e7d255e9d934.png

image.thumb.png.57cbfef5689c7f421063d6a2a7f34d3a.png

image.png.3e0fd4760011c724570ecb12bdceacef.png

image.png.608ba655fe4e400f6e1ce6a6df660f81.png

image.thumb.png.7008eef49dfecf520b528a089186c1f1.png

image.png.5b8f982cd54235edb674e6750674d517.png

If Illinois wins tonight, there's basically no way for us to get above the 5 seed line...

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Between2Halls said:

I may be way off on this, but college basketball seems to be more like the NBA than ever in terms of the swings between games that seem to come out of nowhere. Big wins followed by weird or confusing losses. As a fan I have always hung on each game, but it feels foolish to have that approach any longer. Ups and downs until the end, and then let’s go all in at playoff time. 

I agree, there’s so much parity now because of the portal, it’s hard to put a long streak together without having a let down like the other night. You have to be ready every game, because all these teams are capable of playing like Iowa, if they get hot. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think we saw last year how little conference tournament games really impact things for seeding, considering we barely snuck in despite having a great run. 

Agree with this. Bad remaining season losses by other teams projected higher than us is the only way IU gets better than a 4 seed. A loss Sunday and closing out the season with two home losses would squash hopes for even a 4 seed in the NCAA.

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We aren't moving to the 3 seed line without a run in the conference tourney, regardless if ILL ends up a quad 1 win. 

There was also other factors as to why it took a good run in the tourney to get us in the NCAAs, last season. 

I disagree, we are very close to having the 7th most Quad 1 wins in the country if a few things break our way. If we beat Michigan and avoid a bad loss in the BTT (so win the first game), we have a good shot at a 3. 

4 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Agree with this. Bad remaining season losses by other teams projected higher than us is the only way IU gets better than a 4 seed. A loss Sunday and closing out the season with two home losses would squash hopes for even a 4 seed in the NCAA.

Probably, but I'm not sure a 4 and 5 are that different and it seems like a 5 is about as low as we can fall. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Ran it through the scenario generator...

If Michigan beats Illinois and we beat the Wolverines, it doesn't matter what Maryland does...UNLESS Northwestern would beat Rutgers in Piscataway..

image.png.f449543d93682ed96b60e7d255e9d934.png

image.thumb.png.57cbfef5689c7f421063d6a2a7f34d3a.png

image.png.3e0fd4760011c724570ecb12bdceacef.png

image.png.608ba655fe4e400f6e1ce6a6df660f81.png

image.thumb.png.7008eef49dfecf520b528a089186c1f1.png

image.png.5b8f982cd54235edb674e6750674d517.png

If Illinois wins tonight, there's basically no way for us to get above the 5 seed line...

The bold isn't true. 

If ILL wins, and PSU wins... we are the 4 seed. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I disagree, we are very close to having the 7th most Quad 1 wins in the country if a few things break our way. If we beat Michigan and avoid a bad loss in the BTT (so win the first game), we have a good shot at a 3. 

I don't agree. 22-11 seems very sketchy for a 3 seeds record(could be wrong there)... I think we need to stack more wins, much more than ILL needing to be viewed as a better win. 

Edited by btownqb

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

True...

obviously there are a million scenarios that could happen... but, I did mention... "everything holds serve" in regards to games like NW vs. RU. I can't come up with ALL the scenarios haha 

So many things could happen. Heck RU has two games left. 

Edited by btownqb

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't agree. 22-11 seems very sketchy for a 3 seeds record(could be wrong there)... I think we need to stack more wins, much more than ILL needing to be viewed as a better win. 

I don't think raw total of wins really is a criteria.... if we have 8 quad 1 wins we've got.a case. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

obviously there are a million scenarios that could happen... but, I did mention... "everything holds serve" in regards to games like NW vs. RU. I can't come up with ALL the scenarios haha 

image.png.bf4cc60224c6c99da82955bf2f4b937e.png

This is my favorite scenario that gets IU a 4 seed in the BTT

• Like 2

Just now, btownqb said:

I guess Rutgers COULD lose to Minnesota, but that's a real longshot...

And you're right...After tonight we'll have a much better picture of what needs to happen over the weekend...

For you guys who're more worried about NCAA seeding, I guess you'd rather have the 3 than the 4 (which is where Lunardi has us now) just to avoid a Sweet Sixteen game against #1?

• Like 2