Game thread MSU

IU Scott

4 hours ago, HoosierX said:

I don’t really understand this comment. Allen’s job is not on the line, at least not this year. The contract situation trumps performance issues for the foreseeable future.

Let’s just enjoy the win.

Prolonging the inevitable? I enjoyed the win. But Allen's not the guy and the contract extension was overzealous. 

Edited by D-BONE

8 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

Well, there's no way to know that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I feel like there are very few things in life you can know without a shadow of a doubt. But I feel very confident there aren’t IU boosters that care about football enough to pony up 25.5 million to buy out Allen after this year. His contract was a byproduct of irrational exuberance and puts us in a terrible position short term.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

No, it doesn't. It's just money. 

Easy to say when it’s not your money. First you have to find the boosters with the cash and second you have to convince them there will be a return on their investment with improved results. IU is not exactly a destination for coaches that would give you faith in #2.

34 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

I feel like there are very few things in life you can know without a shadow of a doubt. But I feel very confident there aren’t IU boosters that care about football enough to pony up 25.5 million to buy out Allen after this year. His contract was a byproduct of irrational exuberance and puts us in a terrible position short term.

You have to remember is that we don't have to pay him a one time check for 25 million but pay it over time.  Saying that I don't feel they will fire Allen this year.

36 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

IU doesn't have to pay him $25 million the second he gets fired. 

It doesn't really matter if they have the money or not. Ball State fired its men's basketball coach earlier this year, just 8 months after giving him an extension, and that school is dirt poor. If you have a failing coach who's done nothing but indicate he's going to continue to fail, you just find a way to cut the cord and worry about the cost of doing so later. 

9 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

IU doesn't have to pay him $25 million the second he gets fired. 

It doesn't really matter if they have the money or not. Ball State fired its men's basketball coach earlier this year, just 8 months after giving him an extension, and that school is dirt poor. If you have a failing coach who's done nothing but indicate he's going to continue to fail, you just find a way to cut the cord and worry about the cost of doing so later. 

Not to be overly argumentative here but I just looked it up and it was a 2 year extension with a salary of less than 400k per year. Maybe there are other inclusions in that contract that would make it higher but either way, it’s not the same universe in terms of a payout.

At some point, the amount of money matters.

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That isn't new. He has the 2nd highest winning % as a coach at IU. 

Anyways, it's funny when posters on here act like Dolson is poor at his job or that the buyout is a problem. It's not. We had to have it. 

Well with the win at Sparty there is hope.  At least it gave me some.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rico said:

Hopefully, we(CTA) get it done against the Boilers.  Would go a long ways in quieting "boo birds."

Honestly I have a bad feeling about this one. The two games we really needed to step up and win (Wisconsin and Iowa), we crapped the bed. Winning Saturday would give us a share of the West so we’ll probably blow it. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Honestly I have a bad feeling about this one. The two games we really needed to step up and win (Wisconsin and Iowa), we crapped the bed. Winning Saturday would give us a share of the West so we’ll probably blow it. 

I'm a big Hawks guy come Friday. I also threw up in my mouth saying that. 

Your division still sucks, Boiler. 

Just now, btownqb said:

I'm a big Hawks guy come Friday. I also threw up in my mouth saying that. 

Your division still sucks, Boiler. 

Well aware the division sucks lol. We had our chances but I’d still be happy with an 8-win regular season and solid bowl game. Only things I’m concerned with is A) does Louisville let Satterfield go and B) Does Brohm go back to UL? I 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Well aware the division sucks lol. We had our chances but I’d still be happy with an 8-win regular season and solid bowl game. Only things I’m concerned with is A) does Louisville let Satterfield go and B) Does Brohm go back to UL? I 

We're going to piss off the natives if we continue with this discussion, but..... last thing on that subject for me....

I would be nervous if they let Satterfield go. I don't think you do that unless you know for a fact you're getting who you want. 

As for the game Saturday, you guys get to see Williams on film, so that helps your defense, no doubt. Little chance of rain on Saturday? Idk who that would benefit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

That isn't new. He has the 2nd highest winning % as a coach at IU. 

Anyways, it's funny when posters on here act like Dolson is poor at his job or that the buyout is a problem. It's not. We had to have it. 

Why did we need the huge buyout because it isn't like a lot of teams would be knocking the door down to hire Allen