Jackson State Post Game Thread

KDB

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

All you guys do is compare them to 76, 81, 92.. yes you do. It's archaic. 

What we did in those years is irrelevant. Hell what we did last year? Irrelevant. 

'76, '81, '87, '92, '02 are absolutely relevant.  Those are the years that set the foundation for the last two generations of IU fans.  There's a reason why IU has a more passionate fan base than Penn State, Nebraska, Purdue, etc.  And, it's the success of those teams,  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

'76, '81, '87, '92, '02 are absolutely relevant.  Those are the years that set the foundation for the last two generations of IU fans.  There's a reason why IU has a more passionate fan base than Penn State, Nebraska, Purdue, etc.  And, it's the success of those teams,  

They matter zero when it comes to CMW is deciding on what rotations to use to make his team the best they can be. ... and that was literally the context of my post. 

Reading posts about those years are cringey, mostly, at this point. 

Edited by btownqb

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

They matter zero when it comes to CMW is deciding on what rotations to use to make his team the best they can be. ... and that was literally the context of my post. 

Reading posts about those years are cringey, mostly, at this point. 

For you maybe but some of us has pride in our history and how we won games.

Just now, btownqb said:

Reading posts about those years are cringey, mostly. 

Going off topic for a second.  When talking sports, NFL history, NBA history, and college football history mean nothing to me.  College basketball history does interest me and I enjoy talking about it.  Now MLB history?  I don't see how anyone can possibly appreciate baseball today without understanding and embracing MLB history.  Aaron Judge is relevant because of Babe Ruth and Roger Maris before him.  Yes, the game is different today, but MLB history absolutely influences the MLB of today.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Going off topic for a second.  When talking sports, NFL history, NBA history, and college football history mean nothing to me.  College basketball history does interest me and I enjoy talking about it.  Now MLB history?  I don't see how anyone can possibly appreciate baseball today without understanding and embracing MLB history.  Aaron Judge is relevant because of Babe Ruth and Roger Maris before him.  Yes, the game is different today, but MLB history absolutely influences the MLB of today.  

Zero to do with rotating players on our basketball team, man. The need to bring those years up is weird. 

Edited by btownqb

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess my point in rotations is it shouldn't be predetermined  like the NBA.  Where this player will come in at this time for this player no matter what is happening in the game. If a player is hot and playing really well then keep him in the game and not sub for that player until he cools off.

So you know more about it than our staff and coach. Why didnt you just say that?

Edited by btownqb

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Because its, usually, through the lens of "Woodson needs to do because we did this in year x" 

And usually that year was 30+ years ago. 

So why can't things that worked well 30 years ago not work today. So a guy like Alford who was in constant movement can play.37 mpg but todays players can't. Alford was not athletic at all and was a 6'2 shooting guard and could endure those minutes 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

So you know more about it than our staff and coach. Why didnt you just say that? 

I can disagree with how coaches coach on this topic. That doesn't mean I think I can coach this team better. I have just seen some of the best coaches of all time in college basketball win by not worrying about how many guys should be playing in the rotation. Coaching should be about the feel of the game and not be a strict rotation in every game.  Also if you don't like this kind of discussion why do you keep replying to this topic.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So why can't things that worked well 30 years ago not work today. So a guy like Alford who was in constant movement can play.37 mpg but todays players can't. Alford was not athletic at all and was a 6'2 shooting guard and could endure those minutes 

An example from 40 years ago? Jesus. 

But Duke and Kansas do that now. UNC doesn't. We roll more like UNC does. Who cares? 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Zero to do with rotating players on our basketball team, man. The need to bring those years up are weird. 

I understand that.  And, I stand by my belief that we have 9 very good options in our rotation and we should take advantage of that.  The extra 5 minutes we use to get Geronimo from 9 to 14 minutes a game are 5 less minutes that TJD has to get injured.  And, that would ruin the season.  There is zero reason for TJD to play 35 minutes if we're winning by 20, if Geronimo can come in and play like he has been.  And, it does not matter if we're playing Jackson State, or UNC, or Purdue.   

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

Just now, IU Scott said:

I can disagree with how coaches coach on this topic. That doesn't mean I think I can coach this team better. I have just seen some of the best coaches of all time in college basketball win by not worrying about how many guys should be playing in the rotation. Coaching should be about the feel of the game and not be a strict rotation in every game.  Also if you don't like this kind of discussion why do you keep replying to this topic.

Then email Woodson and tell him that. I'd love to see the response!

Just now, 5fouls said:

I understand that.  And, I stand by my belief that we have very good options in our rotation and we should take advantage of that.  The extra 5 minutes we use to get Geronimo from 9 to 14 minutes a game are 5 less minutes that TJD has to get injured.  And, that would ruin the season.  There is zero reason for TJD to play 35 minutes if we're winning by 20, if Geronimo can come in and play like he has been.  And, it does not matter if we're playing Jackson State, or UNC, or Purdue.   

5... We are on the same side. I've never said anything to the contrary. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

An example from 40 years ago? Jesus. 

But Duke and Kansas do that now. UNC doesn't. We roll more like UNC does. Who cares? 

Yes Duke and KU played that way last year and so did Villanova. All of those teams played 7 and maybe 8 players all the way to the final four. This year all of UNC starters average more than 30 mpg

Edited by IU Scott

Just now, btownqb said:

5... We are on the same side. I've never said anything to the contrary. 

We're on the same side as far as rotations. I do disagree with you on the concept that history does not matter.  No, what kind of rotation Knight employed versus Miami of Ohio in 1982 is not relevant to the rotation Woodson employed against Miami of Ohio in 2022. 

But........IU basketball history does differentiate us, even today, from schools like Illinois, Purdue, and Iowa.  Those programs may have had as much or more success than us in the last 20 years, but IU is still the better basketball brand.  And, it's because of '76, '81, '87, etc and not that we beat Xavier on teh road last week.      

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Then email Woodson and tell him that. I'd love to see the response!

He won't care which he shouldn't and  unlike you I don't see myself as a coaching genius. It is just the way I like seeing basketball played and that is in close games I want my best players on the court. 

Even though I truly dislike the style of basketball is played today I still love the game and will still watch it.  I hate all the dribbling and ball screens in today's game, it doesn't mean I will not still root for my team.

You seem to get a little butt hurt when anyone questions how a coach coaches a game.

• Like 1

Just now, 5fouls said:

We're on the same side as far as rotations. I do disagree with you on the concept that history does not matter.  No, what kind of rotation Knight employed versus Miami of Ohio in 1982 is not relevant to the rotation Woodson employed against Miami of Ohio in 2022. 

But........IU basketball history does differentiate us, even today, from schools like Illinois, Purdue, and Iowa.  Those programs may have had as much or more success than us in the last 20 years, but IU is still the better basketball brand.  And, it's because of '76, '81, '87, etc and not that we beat Xavier on teh road last week.      

I, again, never said anything to the contrary. 

The bold is what I said. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

He won't care which he shouldn't and  unlike you I don't see myself as a coaching genius. It is just the way I like seeing basketball played and that is in close games I want my best players on the court. 

Even though I truly dislike the style of basketball is played today I still love the game and will still watch it.  I hate all the dribbling and ball screens in today's game, it doesn't mean I will not still root for my team.

You seem to get a little butt hurt when anyone questions how a coach coaches a game.

Look how personal you have to make this. 

Just talk sports. 

Edited by btownqb

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Well... 

all three of UNCs NC teams played 9-10 guys. 

Sooooo... 

You do realize that UNC has won 6 championships. Also don't just look at MPG but how many games players played in. I never understood only using the games played for your mpg played.  Guys play in only blowouts or in mop time but don't play in all the games you should use every game the team played to determine mpg.

2005 6 played 21+ minutes and had 1 over 30 minutes. 2 played 16 minutes. 9th player played 6 mpg. So they pretty much played 8 guys the majority of the minutes.

2009 6 played 18+ minutes with two playing 30+ mpg. 7th played 17.4, 8th 9.6mpg. they had two who averaged over 9mpg but 1 played 15 games and the other played in 3 games. 

2017 did play 9 players 14+ minutes but did have two over 30+ mpg.

Edited by IU Scott

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You do realize that UNC has won 6 championships. Also don't just look at MPG but how many games players played in. I never understood only using the games played for your mpg played.  Guys play in only blowouts or in mop time but don't play in all the games you should use every game the team played to determine mpg.

2005 6 played 21+ minutes and had 1 over 30 minutes. 2 played 16 minutes. 9th player played 6 mpg. So they pretty much played 8 guys the majority of the minutes.

2009 6 played 18+ minutes with two playing 30+ mpg. 7th played 17.4, 8th 9.6mpg. they had two who averaged over 9mpg but 1 played 15 games and the other played in 3 games. 

2017 did play 9 players 14+ minutes but did have two over 30+ mpg.

All of those teams relied on 9-10 guys nightly. Negligence, I know, on Roys part, I'm sure. 

• Haha 1