Big Ten / ACC Done after 23 Years

Indykev

8 hours ago, Indykev said:

The ACC will now play the SEC next season. Who do you want IU to pick up on the schedule to replace this game?

UCLA would have been my first choice.  But, with them joining the conference in a couple of years, that probably does not make sense.  

We already have something with Kansas right now, so I would shy away from other Big 12 schools.

I'll go with resuming something we had 'back in the day', and that is an annual matchup with Notre Dame.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Indykev said:

The ACC will now play the SEC next season. Who do you want IU to pick up on the schedule to replace this game?

Honestly we should bypass ESPN's hurt feelings and schedule series with Carolina or Duke or Virginia...or maybe even Miami. Just because ESPN doesn't want to advertise the Big 10 doesn't mean we can't play those schools anyway.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

UCLA would have been my first choice.  But, with them joining the conference in a couple of years, that probably does not make sense.  

We already have something with Kansas right now, so I would shy away from other Big 12 schools.

I'll go with resuming something we had 'back in the day', and that is an annual matchup with Notre Dame.  

Would love to bring back the Irish in an annual matchup.

• Like 5

Might be worth thinking of this as a recruiting tool. One way of doing that is to get the most marquee match up you can and put it on the calendar in an ongoing series. Duke or North Carolina would be great for that.

Another thought process would be do plant a game right in the middle of a recruiting hotbed. Take an area we would like to break into more, be it Chicago or New York or DC and promise recruits that they will get to play near home once a year at least because we will be playing in the United Center, or Garden, etc. In this approach you could have your cake and eat it to by playing Duke or North Carolina or Gonzaga or something in a location that gives you some recruiting leverage.

I do have some sympathy for the idea of playing Notre Dame each year...it would be good to be able to point recruits to the idea that we have "the most wins against instate schools over a five year period and are the premier basketball program in the state" or a pitch along those lines. (this of course assumes we get some footing in our rivalry games in conference :))

But, maybe in the end it is the return of the UK game that replaces this?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

Might be worth thinking of this as a recruiting tool. One way of doing that is to get the most marquee match up you can and put it on the calendar in an ongoing series. Duke or North Carolina would be great for that.

Another thought process would be do plant a game right in the middle of a recruiting hotbed. Take an area we would like to break into more, be it Chicago or New York or DC and promise recruits that they will get to play near home once a year at least because we will be playing in the United Center, or Garden, etc. In this approach you could have your cake and eat it to by playing Duke or North Carolina or Gonzaga or something in a location that gives you some recruiting leverage.

I do have some sympathy for the idea of playing Notre Dame each year...it would be good to be able to point recruits to the idea that we have "the most wins against instate schools over a five year period and are the premier basketball program in the state" or a pitch along those lines. (this of course assumes we get some footing in our rivalry games in conference :))

But, maybe in the end it is the return of the UK game that replaces this?

Georgia? There seems to be a lot of talent coming out of that state, and with Rosemond having ties it could pay off...

Or Texas is fertile recruiting ground as well...

Or Florida. That'd let the Montverde kids see us on the road. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Houston...bring back ol' Kelvin to SSAH. 

That type of game would help come tournament time.

That'd be cool, and I'd definitely go...

Have to find a seat midway between our bench and theirs so I could root for IU and deride Samscum all at the same time! 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

IU vs Texas Tech could have something to it. 

The ncaa will try and make that match up in the tourney.  

No sense in boring the nation on a Saturday afternoon.   

IU needs to continue to schedule thick blue bloods with major national clout and kick their butts.  

UK check

UNC check Wednesday 

UCLA, coming for you

Kansas,  check your local listing

Arizona,  yes please.  

Get Duke and end that poor young man's career.  

Make Few wish he would have taken the job by kicking his butt.  

Grab Texas by the horns while we are at it.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

When asked about this in his media availability today, Woodson brought up Kentucky as his preferred replacement for this event. That would be fine trade.

Yeah.  Honestly, it's the only comparable replacement.  Sure, there are other marquee teams that we could play one-off, but the Challenge had the added intrigue of conference versus conference.

The other great thing about the challenge is we were guaranteed a marquee hone game every other year.  We dont even get that guarantee with a UK series.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Georgia? There seems to be a lot of talent coming out of that state, and with Rosemond having ties it could pay off...

Or Texas is fertile recruiting ground as well...

Or Florida. That'd let the Montverde kids see us on the road. 

I like the idea of a small tournament in Atlanta or Orlando for recruiting purposes.

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

You have an excellent memory.  I can't remember what I watched on TV Sunday night. 

I do on somethings and not on other things. Most of the things I remember is trival stuff that doesn't matter. Like I can tell you who played in the final4 since 1976. I have a harder time with more of the current years.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

College/High School double header...

Montverde vs IMG Academy in the opener, IU/UCF in the second game...In Montverde's gym :D 

Montverde gym only holds 1500. I think the Amway center where the Magic play would be better for that doubleheader. It would attract IU alumni from all over FL.

Selfishly, I like the idea of a marquee game at the United Center as an alumni relations/ recruiting tool. With discounted admission for alumni over age 55 😁

• Like 2