Shooting

Ok, fly in the ointment, I know.

Great win. We passed our 1st two big tests winning at Xavier and giving UNC a solid beat down.

But looming at the stats tonight, we really struggled from 3 again. 3 for 13.

Yet we seemed in control the entire game against a solid tar heel team.

So, is this concern legitimate or over blown? 

I am really not sure.

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

Great win. We passed our 1st two big tests winning at Xavier and giving UNC a solid beat down.

Yet we seemed in control the entire game against a solid tar heel team. C

I am really not sure.

I think you play to your strengths. IU had several more 3 balls in and out.  CMW plays the in and out with Trayce being back next year maybe more 3's CMW  KNOWS OUR TEAM! Shoot if you are open we are a team that can rebound a miss, we ARE a deep team if healthy! Our team is INSIDE STRONG! We all wish we could shoot 40% from 3 but this year we still inside team!! Sorry for ramble! We do have shooters  just small sample size!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I am really not sure.

Carolina didn’t leave shooters or double with 2nd big 

You guys did a nice moving the ball and finishing 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I am really not sure.

i love playing to your strength.  if we play great D, keep TOs down, and take smart shots... i'm good!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I am really not sure.

It was always overblown... assuming we added more guys like (JHS, MR, and healthy TG) that could get their own... coupled with, in general, playing at a much better pace. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I am really not sure.

I think the 13 attempts say it is overblown. We dominated inside and got any shot we wanted, which happened to be inside all night against once of the better front courts in the country. 

While I personally would love to see more volume of threes (we had an off night, but overall our percentage this year has been fine), teams have to stop the easy twos from flowing before we pull the trigger and I'm starting to wonder if any team in the country is going to be able to do that. Between the army of guys we have inside, led by TJD, and the guys on the perimeter that can penetrate on anyone, who is stopping this team from getting good looks in the paint night after night? 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

UNC didnt let our best shooter get any looks, either. Good defense on their part. 

I think that's the salient point...UNC did guard the perimeter pretty well...

Once they switched Leaky Black onto JHS, it limited his attempts, but he did do other things to help us win...They knew to stick with Kopp, and Tamar got limited time because we needed what Galloway brought overall more than just Tamar's shooting...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

UNC didnt let our best shooter get any looks, either. Good defense on their part. 

I mean Leaky Black is a future NBA player.  Long, freakishly elite athleticism.   It's like the absolute worst match up for Kopp.  But Kopp played great, not good, defense.  People sell him so short because a lack of scoring and his athleticism has no pop but so what.  He performs at this level, in his role, for this team.  And, and his guy can't leave him to double team.  The shots he doesn't get to take are because Trayce is getting dunks down low.  

• Like 4

On the whole its probably not a big issue this year with NPOY candidate TJD.  Its probably going to bite in the ass in the Tourney if we run into a team who is a great 3 point shooting team and we just can't keep up.  This will also pop up throughout the season where we just can't keep up with a really hot team who is scoring 3 to our 2 and we fall short.  

Is it going to derail this team, most likely not.  But it is the only thing keeping us from being a true national title contender.  Just think how dangerous we would be if we shot 37% from 3 as a team.  If Kopp, XJ and JHS were all in the 35-40% every game. And if Race and Bates were in the 30-35% we would truly be one of the most dangerous team in the country.

Its out biggest flaw.  But our defense and inside game will mitigate it on most nights.  We will also have nights where Kopp and XJ shoot like 80% from 3 and we absolutely trounce some poor team in AH.

Just my opinion.  Most likely i know nothin about anything.  But my thoughts.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

On the whole its probably not a big issue this year with NPOY candidate TJD.  Its probably going to bite in the ass in the Tourney if we run into a team who is a great 3 point shooting team and we just can't keep up.  This will also pop up throughout the season where we just can't keep up with a really hot team who is scoring 3 to our 2 and we fall short.  

Is it going to derail this team, most likely not.  But it is the only thing keeping us from being a true national title contender.  Just think how dangerous we would be if we shot 37% from 3 as a team.  If Kopp, XJ and JHS were all in the 35-40% every game. And if Race and Bates were in the 30-35% we would truly be one of the most dangerous team in the country.

Its out biggest flaw.  But our defense and inside game will mitigate it on most nights.  We will also have nights where Kopp and XJ shoot like 80% from 3 and we absolutely trounce some poor team in AH.

We are shooting 36.7% currently. 

JMO... beating the dog poop out of UNC for 40 mins proved we are a national title contender. I can't think of any team I would be nervous about playing on a neutral court with our staff and talent. They never threatened and it was a gift it was only 6 at the half. 

Only other point I would have is... I don't think we are going to allow too many teams to get hot from 3. Opponents are shooting 29% from 3 against us and only allowed 33% last season. We allowed Xavier to hit 41% (at home)... but they only got to take 17 3s and hit 7 of them. For a team that is very "based" using the 3 point shot, that isn't awful. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We are shooting 36.7% currently. 

JMO... beating the dog poop out of UNC for 40 mins proved we are a national title contender. I can't think of any team I would be nervous about playing on a neutral court with our staff and talent. They never threatened and it was a gift it was only 6 at the half. 

Only other point I would have is... I don't think we are going to allow too many teams to get hot from 3. Opponents are shooting 29% from 3 against us and only allowed 33% last season. We allowed Xavier to hit 41% (at home)... but they only got to take 17 3s and hit 7 of them. For a team that is very "based" using the 3 point shot, that isn't awful. 

👍

32 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

A team can be a great shooting team, but they still have to be able to get clean looks to hit them. The defense I saw last night is going to hold any team I've seen this season in college in check. 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I am really not sure.

For me as long as we are scoring I don't care how we get those points. We scored 77 points which is the first time we scored under 80 so it doesn't bother me if we don't shoot a lot of 3's. We shot 57% overall which is the most important thing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

For me as long as we are scoring I don't care how we get those points. We scored 77 points which is the first time we scored under 80 so it doesn't bother me if we don't shoot a lot of 3's. We shot 57% overall which is the most important thing.

Our quality of shot dwarfed UNCs all night. I believe Bilas alluded to that, as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Our quality of shot dwarfed UNCs all night. I believe Bilas alluded to that, as well. 

Our defense forced them into one on one offense and step back 3's.  That defense will travel, and we're not reliant on hitting 15 3's to win a game. Points in the paint versus contested 3's. If not for the egregious free throw disparity, that was a blowout. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think that's the salient point...UNC did guard the perimeter pretty well...

Once they switched Leaky Black onto JHS, it limited his attempts, but he did do other things to help us win...They knew to stick with Kopp, and Tamar got limited time because we needed what Galloway brought overall more than just Tamar's shooting...

Yeah...that was a pick your poison strategy. Guard the perimeter hard and IU gets 50 in the paint.

If IU faces a pack line, I think you'll see the opposite with a much better percentage. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah...that was a pick your poison strategy. Guard the perimeter hard and IU gets 50 in the paint.

If IU faces a pack line, I think you'll see the opposite with a much better percentage. 

I do too. Feel free to cheat in when our guards beat their man off of the dribble and let Kopp hit those threes.

We also are a lot harder team than most for bigs to help off because our guards can hit floaters and can throw the lop to multiple guys. Most college teams can't do all of that at a high-level. 

• Like 1

Last night's shooting was skewed a bit by XJ's 0-3 from three (but he was 6-9 on twos, and 8-10 FTs), which dropped him to 8-15 on the year (53%).

What was really important to me, was the couple of times that UNC's guards gave a weak double on TJD and JHS and Bates drilled the open threes. Too often in the past we'd see IU's guards miss wide open threes after a kickout from TJD.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Last night's shooting was skewed a bit by XJ's 0-3 from three (but he was 6-9 on twos, and 8-10 FTs), which dropped him to 8-15 on the year (53%).

What was really important to me, was the couple of times that UNC's guards gave a weak double on TJD and JHS and Bates drilled the open threes. Too often in the past we'd see IU's guards miss wide open threes after a kickout from TJD.

I'd call him 0-2.  An end of halftime heave makes his stat there look worse than it was.  Not many open looks from the arc.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

They could have easily broken 80 with just a few more shots that normally fall. Reneau had at least 2 shots that he normally hits pop back out of the basket, for example.

• Like 3