Rutgers Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Saturday, December 3rd 4:00 pm EST 

Where: The RAC (Jersey Mike's Arena) Piscataway, NJ 

TV: BTN

Rutgers (5-2) is coming off a loss to Miami in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge. Their other loss was to Temple...

image.png.3636273b4ed328cd542d17851620995a.png

We all know Rutgers...Geo Baker and Ron Harper Jr are gone, but they return 3 starters in Cliff Omoruyi, Caleb McConnell, and Paul Mulcahy. McConnell just returned from injury, and Mulcahy has been day to day...

image.thumb.png.0b178a846d8737fbced136f03db81576.png

Team stats...

image.png.326f0092a4d9f278ba6258e08de3f2bd.png

Omoruyi has added an outside component to his game, and we know he's a nightmare on interior defense. Rutgers is only shooting 32% from 3, but they do have guys who can hit them at a high rate in Cam Spencer (43%) and freshman Derek Simpson (36%). Rutgers will play good defense, and are well coached, but they're not very deep. The RAC is one of the tougher venues to play in, so it's not going to be a cakewalk...

Note: Trayce Jackson-Davis has never been on an IU team that has beaten Rutgers...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Thanks 6

6 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Laugh at me if you want, but this game is every bit as big as the UNC game. B1G opener on the road at a place we have struggled at for a number of years against a projected middle of the pack conference team. This is the kind of game we have to win if we want to be serious B1G title contenders. 

@Rutgers is comparable to @Xavier.  Hostile crowd, not going to be easy by any stretch.  Really good coach.  Some experienced players on that team.   The defense better travel and bring energy and full on effort.  That said I would be disappointed in a loss there.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Laugh at me if you want, but this game is every bit as big as the UNC game. B1G opener on the road at a place we have struggled at for a number of years against a projected middle of the pack conference team. This is the kind of game we have to win if we want to be serious B1G title contenders. 

Leary and Charlie Miller were talking last night on one of their post game shows and said if they had to win 2 games in December it’d be Nebraska and RU

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think you can make a pretty solid argument that this game is more important then last night. 

Perceptionally UNC is a bigger deal, but the reality is this is a conference road game, it's really important. 

flat out.. winning at Rutgers is more difficult than beating UNC at home, at least currently.... ESPN agrees-- our "chances" to win last night was 80% to start the game. Currently, our chances to win at Rutgers are like 57%. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Completely agree. Would be expected to have a let down after the emotional win. I don't see that happening.  You could tell TJD is focused on Rutgers by his comment in the post game press conference. I think we are starting to see some mental toughness coming through. TJD and Xavier won't get rattled on the road. You saw the team as a whole respond well against the plethora of fouls called in the NC game. 

• Like 2

While I don't think this game will be easy, I do think we are very well prepared and poised for a win.

Woodson saying that last night wasn't a statement win really gets to the heart of the team's mentality -- not going to get too high, not going to get too low -- just do what they've been training to do. And despite the subpar perimeter shooting %, the team still operates efficiently because it plays to its strengths. The team knows what it is and what it needs to do to be successful.

For the first time in a long while, I see an IU team that dictates the pace/rhythm of the game rather than its opponent. That is no small thing. 

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

While I don't think this game will be easy, I do think we are very well prepared and poised for a win.

Woodson saying that last night wasn't a statement win really gets to the heart of the team's mentality -- not going to get too high, not going to get too low -- just do what they've been training to do. And despite the subpar perimeter shooting %, the team still operates efficiently because it plays to its strengths. The team knows what it is and what it needs to do to be successful.

For the first time in a long while, I see an IU team that dictates the pace/rhythm of the game rather than its opponent. That is no small thing. 

That used to be stated every year about MSU and Wisc. Nice we’re finally a team that dictates that 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

A little scouting on their site...Whenever I see another team use the term "letdown" I know they're more than a little nervous about us...The response captures it, I think...

image.png.57933a0ea8c6ce4ff6a4a94552eff6e2.png

Can't find anything on Mulcahy's condition or probability for the game...

Greene Rice FIG seems to be a knowledge poster. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, southsidehoosier said:

That used to be stated every year about MSU and Wisc. Nice we’re finally a team that dictates that 

Many may not remember, but before MSU and Wisc did this, IU excelled at this. We have been that team before. And we should be again this year.

Edited by Lostin76
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I agree with your point, but I will still take you up on the offer.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I wanted to hit the laugh emoji