Nebraska Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

2 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

I may be speaking for most of us here,.... correct me if I'm wrong, but after that performance against Rutgers was very discouraging moving forward. It's the "getting absolutely thumped by an unranked team" that's most disheartening. I know Rutgers is a VERY tough place to win, but getting waxed was a shocker. I wasn't even able to watch the game, but I kept checking the score and wondering why we were not going ahead. It brings back painful memories of various years past when we would win a big game then get drubbed the next game. 

Your last sentence, yes.  I made a comment about that after Rutgers.  The problem this program has had since Crean was here was not the games like UNC, it has been the games against teams like Rutgers.  Games where we should be the better team on paper but we end up mailing it in.  Those games kept us out of the tournament in years past and they will keep us from a Big Ten title in a year like this if the team doesn't handle business.

They have to show up for every game.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Your last sentence, yes.  I made a comment about that after Rutgers.  The problem this program has had since Crean was here was not the games like UNC, it has been the games against teams like Rutgers.  Games where we should be the better team on paper but we end up mailing it in.  Those games kept us out of the tournament in years past and they will keep us from a Big Ten title in a year like this if the team doesn't handle business.

They need "The Eye of a Tiger."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rico said:

They need "The Eye of a Tiger."

Dr. John Dolittle: [attempts to talk the tiger out of jumping from the observatory] Hey, whoa. Take it easy now... Remember that song "Eye of the Tiger," from ROCKY 3? When Rocky was fighting Mr. T, couldn't beat him - then Apollo Creed played "Eye of the Tiger" for him. Rocky beat the snot out of Mr. T because of "Eye of the Tiger." Because that song moved Rocky inside...

[He sings the song, way out of tune, to demonstrate]

Dr. John Dolittle: ... Not Eye of the Moose, not Eye of the Bull, Eye of the TIGER.

Tiger: That's it. I'm jumping.

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I wonder what UK fans reaction was to losing to a trash, unranked Indiana team in 2011? I mean, we had only won 26 games the previous three seasons...

• Like 1

My problem with the Rutgers loss, isn't that we lost, but HOW we lost. If there was ever a game that the upper classmen knew was going to be tough, it was this one, and yet, they "mailed it in" as another poster so aptly put it. Rutgers played with the energy of 5 Galloways on the floor at the same time. We played with 1, part of the time. Kopp as energetic, but not overly more than normal. X walking the ball up the court, TJD ½-assed jogging up the court, and on and on.

Anyway, on to Neb. We better show up with our A game, or we could be in for a rude & crude beating...at home no less. I sure hope Woody got their attention over the past couple of days. Cause this is likely NOT to be a cake walk.

8 minutes ago, DWB said:

My problem with the Rutgers loss, isn't that we lost, but HOW we lost. If there was ever a game that the upper classmen knew was going to be tough, it was this one, and yet, they "mailed it in" as another poster so aptly put it. Rutgers played with the energy of 5 Galloways on the floor at the same time. We played with 1, part of the time. Kopp as energetic, but not overly more than normal. X walking the ball up the court, TJD ½-assed jogging up the court, and on and on.

Anyway, on to Neb. We better show up with our A game, or we could be in for a rude & crude beating...at home no less. I sure hope Woody got their attention over the past couple of days. Cause this is likely NOT to be a cake walk.

Ruthers will finish top half of the conference and be ranked 25 to 30 most of the year and at worst a bubble team. They have the pieces

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Of course. Sounds like you're saying it's far too soon to overreact to one game, right? 

You can be disappointed and say it looks like some of the stuff we dealt with in the past (from many of the same players on the current team) and also think that it is early at the same time.

There are a whole bunch of games left to play.  That one was troublesome, as long as it remains the exception we are alright.  I really think this team has the talent on paper to compete for a Big Ten title, what happened against Rutgers won't get that done.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Just because you lose doesn't mean a team mailed it in. Even how bad we played we were still up 37-35 with 12 minutes to go. Also we were making a little run and could have cut the lead to 6 but Rutgers wasn't called for a foul when TJD was attacked  on that layup attempt

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just because you lose doesn't mean a team mailed it in. Even how bad we played we were still up 37-35 with 12 minutes to go. Also we were making a little run and could have cut the lead to 6 but Rutgers wasn't called for a foul when TJD was attacked  on that layup attempt

Im surprised no one got hurt that game...

clearly it's not a huge deal, but what kills me is that our expectations are way different this year than the last few years right?  i get that Rutgers isn't a bad team and that it is a tough place to play.  thing is, we were picked by most to win the conference.  sure we still can, but losing to a team that is currently below 8 teams in the conference in receiving votes in the AP poll.  last year's winner lost 5 conference games.  @ Illinois, @ MD, @ Mich St., @ Purdue are all pretty tough.  gonna have to go undefeated at home in conference or win one or two of those.  

31 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

clearly it's not a huge deal, but what kills me is that our expectations are way different this year than the last few years right?  i get that Rutgers isn't a bad team and that it is a tough place to play.  thing is, we were picked by most to win the conference.  sure we still can, but losing to a team that is currently below 8 teams in the conference in receiving votes in the AP poll.  last year's winner lost 5 conference games.  @ Illinois, @ MD, @ Mich St., @ Purdue are all pretty tough.  gonna have to go undefeated at home in conference or win one or two of those.  

They did beat the #1 team in the country at home last year. I hated losing that game but it is far from being the end of the world 

Edited by IU Scott

59 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Only problem with that argument Scott is we didn't lose by 2-3. We lost by 15. And in Woody's words, "we got out- toughed". 

I can understand getting beat by Purdue, Ill, or even Iowa and Md, as they all look good. Ill took down TX last night with a boat load of turnovers.

We're not supposed to loose to Rutgers, not this year. We just didn't show up. In my book there's no excuse for that. If we played hard and lost, sometimes sh_t happens. But this was embarrassing IMO. You guys can disagree all you want. We're all entitled to an opinion. This is mine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DWB said:

Only problem with that argument Scott is we didn't lose by 2-3. We lost by 15. And in Woody's words, "we got out- toughed".

...but we're not supposed to say the team is soft...🙄

I've seen this team play tough as nails this year and play suffocating defense, but what I've seen of the Rutgers game did not show a strong, confident team.  When it was go time, IU didn't look confident or ready to impose it's will on Rutgers.  They looked like a team that didn't expect to win. 

That sucks.  I hope they are good and pissed off tonight.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

...but we're not supposed to say the team is soft...🙄

I've seen this team play tough as nails this year and play suffocating defense, but what I've seen of the Rutgers game did not show a strong, confident team.  When it was go time, IU didn't look confident or ready to impose it's will on Rutgers.  They looked like a team that didn't expect to win. 

That sucks.  I hope they are good and pissed off tonight.

I wouldn't say we're "soft" (and I don't think  you are either), they just didn't show up for a team & game that should've had them pissed off for the past 3 years.

It'll be interesting tonite to see how the team, and the crowd react. I will, no doubt, be rooting for them, and cheering them on.