Who Starts for Race on Sunday?

Who Starts for Race Sunday?   

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who Starts for Race Sunday?

The below link was shared in the post-game thread. I know we don't have a ton of options, but after watching the film, I don't know how you can start JG tomorrow?

It sends a terrible message and doesn't really hold him accountable, unless there is some conversation with him about having a very, very short leash. 

This defense cost IU the game. 

https://www.insidethehall.com/2023/01/07/film-session-iowa-15/

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The below link was shared in the post-game thread. I know we don't have a ton of options, but after watching the film, I don't know how you can start JG tomorrow?

It sends a terrible message and doesn't really hold him accountable, unless there is some conversation with him about having a very, very short leash. 

Yeah, why he was left in after losing Murray at 16 minutes,  that's on the staff too.  At that point, gotta try throwing bodies at Murray, probably accept he'll burn you down low but have guys fast enough to keep him from launching easy spot up threes.  

15 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Yeah, why he was left in after losing Murray at 16 minutes,  that's on the staff too.  At that point, gotta try throwing bodies at Murray, probably accept he'll burn you down low but have guys fast enough to keep him from launching easy spot up threes.  

Absolutely, Woodson stuck with JG way too long. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree.

Sure, Geronimo may have a better matchup in this one. But after last game, he now has another thing working against him: the tape of that last game. Any decent coach is going to take advantage of this matchup until JG proves that he won’t be constantly losing his man or in bad position. Hopefully it was just a bad day, but I fear this was the reason Woody hasn’t been playing him for prolonged stretches. 

I said on the game thread it was 1 step forward and 2 steps back, but it ended up being more like 3 steps back. He has the talent, but the step froward/step back ratio has to be at least 1:1. I’m really rooting for the kid and hope he can overcome this, but it’s going to take a short memory, focus and grit. He’ll get the minutes to prove himself, start or not. Hoping he makes the best of them. 

• Like 3

Just now, tdhoosier said:

Completely agree.

Sure, Geronimo may have a better matchup in this one. But after last game, he now has another thing working against him: the tape of that last game. Any decent coach is going to take advantage of this matchup until JG proves that he won’t be constantly losing his man or in bad position. Hopefully it was just a bad day, but I fear this was the reason Woody hasn’t been playing him for prolonged stretches. 

I said on the game thread it was 1 step forward and 2 steps back, but it ended up being more like 3 steps back. He has the talent, but the step froward/step back ratio has to be at least 1:1. I’m really rooting for the kid and hope he can overcome this, but it’s going to take a short memory, focus and grit. He’ll get the minutes to prove himself, start or not. Hoping he makes the best of them. 

Not saying he can't get better, but I don't think that was isolated either. He's always been a poor perimeter defender and has consistently gotten lost on defense. 

He's a really good post defender and weak side shot blocker, but positioning, awareness and the perimeter has always been as issue for him. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

Not saying he can't get better, but I don't think that was isolated either. He's always been a poor perimeter defender and has consistently gotten lost on defense. 

He's a really good post defender and weak side shot blocker, but positioning, awareness and the perimeter has always been as issue for him. 

Which is one of the reasons it's always been a strange argument when people have called for him getting minutes at the three. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1