Michigan State Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Sunday, January 22nd 12:00 pm EST 

Where: Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: CBS

The 13-6 Spartans (5-3 in Big 10 play) come into Assembly Hall off a home win over a tough Rutgers team

image.png.a37207a88b1f1aad816b1723a7e7f372.png

image.thumb.png.597dc4f0d62e7bff0479a351417d5d53.png

Izzo has been starting Jaden Akins, AJ Hoggard, Mady Sissoko, Joey Hauser, and Tyson Walker, but after last nights performance, I expect to see freshman Jaxon Kohler get a lot of minutes at the 5, if not the start over Sissoko. The 3 guard, 2 big lineup sets up well for us. They'll almost have to double, as Sissoko was getting abused by Cliff Omoyuri when they tried to single cover him. If they do, our shooters have to deliver. Michigan State will play hard, and has a good veteran core in Hoggard, Walker, and Hauser. They had Purdue all but beaten at home on Monday, but let it slip away.

I'd expect to see...

Sissoko-TJD

Hauser-Geronimo

Walker-Galloway

Akins-Kopp

Hoggard-JHS

Those last two might flip, and we might see more of Bates and Gunn Sunday because of the 3 guard alignment...Pierre Brooks and Tre Holloman get minutes off the bench along with Kohler...

Sparty is another tough opponent. They're 3rd in 3 point %, and are the best at guarding the 3 limiting opponents to 28%. Great FT shooting team at 80%. 9th in the conference in both offensive and defensive rating. They have the most difficult strength of schedule in our league and 4th in the country. They currently sit at #35 in KenPom, while IU is #20.

Let's get back to .500 in conference and go from there!

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Another huge game.  We can't afford another loss at home after the NW debacle.  A win here puts us back at 0.500 in B1G play with a stretch coming up where we could put ourselves multiple games over that mark.  Heck if we win this, with three straight quality wins we might be sniffing the top 25 again.  

Edited by Parakeet Jones
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

When: Sunday, January 22nd 12:00 pm EST 

Where: Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: CBS

The 13-6 Spartans (5-3 in Big 10 play) come into Assembly Hall off a home win over a tough Rutgers team

image.png.a37207a88b1f1aad816b1723a7e7f372.png

image.thumb.png.597dc4f0d62e7bff0479a351417d5d53.png

Izzo has been starting Jaden Akins, AJ Hoggard, Mady Sissoko, Joey Hauser, and Tyson Walker, but after last nights performance, I expect to see freshman Jaxon Kohler get a lot of minutes at the 5, if not the start over Sissoko. The 3 guard, 2 big lineup sets up well for us. They'll almost have to double, as Sissoko was getting abused by Cliff Omoyuri when they tried to single cover him. If they do, our shooters have to deliver. Michigan State will play hard, and has a good veteran core in Hoggard, Walker, and Hauser. They had Purdue all but beaten at home on Monday, but let it slip away.

I'd expect to see...

Sissoko-TJD

Hauser-Geronimo

Walker-Galloway

Akins-Kopp

Hoggard-JHS

Those last two might flip, and we might see more of Bates and Gunn Sunday because of the 3 guard alignment...Pierre Brooks and Tre Holloman get minutes off the bench along with Kohler...

Sparty is another tough opponent. They're 3rd in 3 point %, and are the best at guarding the 3 limiting opponents to 28%. Great FT shooting team at 80%. 9th in the conference in both offensive and defensive rating. They have the most difficult strength of schedule in our league and 4th in the country. They currently sit at #35 in KenPom, while IU is #20.

Let's get back to .500 in conference and go from there!

You better believe Izzo is DEFINITELY going to double team TJD! Michigan State was doubling Rutgers' center, Omoruyi last night on and off. He finished with 12 pts and 12 rb's. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

@IUFLA Love the pregame analysis, also would like to point out that Malik Hall will won’t play, aka one of the best defenders (I think)

Yeah, I put an article over in the IUBB thread where Izzo said he'd be out a while longer...should have hung it here...Thanks...

• Like 2

One place where IU misses Race that we don't think about is his ability to bring the ball up against whatever big is guarding him. More often than not IU could get him the ball and let him bring it up while the guards head up court. And he was good being the pressure release if they threw it up court to him. 

To this point, IU has struggled to figure out even a decent press. It highlights the fact they don't have anyone who is truly strong with the dribble while X is on the bench. JHS and Galloway are decent at best right now and both picked up their dribble and turned their back to the press. Its going to cost IU again if they can't figure it out.

You don't have to be the fastest but you have to be strong with your dribble, know where the press is coming from, and have teammates that move to open spots to receive the pass. Damon Bailey personally destroyed uk's press in '93(?) against elite athletes. It can be done.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

One place where IU misses Race that we don't think about is his ability to bring the ball up against whatever big is guarding him. More often than not IU could get him the ball and let him bring it up while the guards head up court. And he was good being the pressure release if they threw it up court to him. 

To this point, IU has struggled to figure out even a decent press. It highlights the fact they don't have anyone who is truly strong with the dribble while X is on the bench. JHS and Galloway are decent at best right now and both picked up their dribble and turned their back to the press. Its going to cost IU again if they can't figure it out.

You don't have to be the fastest but you have to be strong with your dribble, know where the press is coming from, and have teammates that move to open spots to receive the pass. Damon Bailey personally destroyed uk's press in '93(?) against elite athletes. It can be done.

Yeah, Gallo was especially bad about picking up his dribble in the corner as soon as he crossed half court. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

I am sure Woody will be addressing handling the press.  I have faith he will get the fellas tuned in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rico said:

I am sure Woody will be addressing handling the press.  I have faith he will get the fellas tuned in.

I thought Tamar handled the press better than Trey...

We didn't get a whole lot out of Tamar yesterday, but that was one semi-bright spot...

• Like 3

Bring this over from the other thread...

Re Malik Hall's availability...

From Jan 17th

“I've tried to stay out of the medical side of it, but I do believe that he has a chance to play,” Izzo said. “Is it in a week? I doubt it. Is it in two weeks? Maybe. Is it in three weeks? Possibly. And then you restart the whole process of getting him back and getting him in.”

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Bring this over from the other thread...

Re Malik Hall's availability...

From Jan 17th

“I've tried to stay out of the medical side of it, but I do believe that he has a chance to play,” Izzo said. “Is it in a week? I doubt it. Is it in two weeks? Maybe. Is it in three weeks? Possibly. And then you restart the whole process of getting him back and getting him in.”

Believe they are expecting him to be out until like late February 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'd expect to see...

Sissoko-TJD

Hauser-Geronimo

Walker-Galloway

Akins-Kopp

Hoggard-JHS

As good as Geronimo has been playing, I'm not sure I like him matched up on Hauser. 

I wonder about putting Bates in to start (instead of Geronimo) and putting Gallo on Hauser. 

Just now, tdhoosier said:

As good as Geronimo has been playing, I'm not sure I like him matched up on Hauser. 

I wonder about putting Bates in to start (instead of Geronimo) and putting Gallo on Hauser. 

I don't know...I think Hauser is perfect for Geronimo...Not a real dribble drive guy...Not overly athletic...Not a great post up guy...He's a spot up shooter, good rebounder, and is excellent from the FT line...

Geronimo is going to start...I've watched Woody too much to think he's going to bend to counter the other team...I know Geronimo looked a bit gimpy (hip?) during some of the game, but he was in there at the end...

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

I don't know...I think Hauser is perfect for Geronimo...Not a real dribble drive guy...Not overly athletic...Not a great post up guy...He's a spot up shooter, good rebounder, and is excellent from the FT line...

Geronimo is going to start...I've watched Woody too much to think he's going to bend to counter the other team...I know Geronimo looked a bit gimpy (hip?) during some of the game, but he was in there at the end...

If I was betting, I definitely think Woody starts Geronimo. lol. 

My concern is that Hauser moves well without the ball and Geronimo has a tendency to get lost. 

Overall though, I think we match up pretty well against MSU.