A Thread to Discuss Why Life was Better in the Cold War Era

No, this isn't a political thread about Ronald Reagan, the Berlin Wall, Soviet Russia, or even JFK and the Bay of Pigs.

This... this is a thread were certain members can wax poetic about how great sports were in yesteryear - back before advanced analytics ruined the game, before widespread video coverage of all games, and back when real teams played real basketball with motion offense and the midrange jumper. Teams would occasionally use the dang backboard on their jump shots. It's a beautiful style of play that has led many members of HSN to dominate their church league games.

First topic of discussion - 1987 Indiana Hoosiers led by the beautiful Steve Alford vs the 1985 Villanova Wildcats. 'Nova may not have had the beautiful Jay Wright roaming the sidelines just yet, but they had E-Z Ed Pinckney dominating teams as they took a magic Cinderella run to the title. 

I'll go with the Hoosiers in this battle of greats - I just don't think Nova would've had an answer for the raw athleticism that Steve Alford possessed. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The games were more fun to watch when you had to wrap aluminum foil around the rabbit ears of the 13-inch black and white tv and walk around the house trying to get reception.

TVs were better made back then. And they had a full side panel. They held up well to the beatings that I was able to give them. 

keeping-up-appearances-on-slow.gif.0092145a709c767c52b24bb85d888fe4.gif

• Haha 6

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The games were more fun to watch when you had to wrap aluminum foil around the rabbit ears of the 13-inch black and white tv and walk around the house trying to get reception.

My dad would throw me from the deck to the roof to turn the antenna in the freezing rain/snow...then catch me when id jump off the roof... when i was training to be SAR in Navy... Those memories would find me solace, no matter what my jump was... He died from Agent Orange when I was young but it was has if he helped me in the dark, cold waters...its amazing how shit like that works...you dont realize until you have a child how much you impress upon them...and hope you can give them solace as well. Since Ive been sick (the same age as my dad) for awhile and I gonna make sure to be here when my girl makes her jumps in life... OORAH!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

One thing that may have diminished the dominance of Coach Knight a little, was the advent of the shot clock, and to a lesser extent, the 3 point shot. 
I say this because if coach had a 3 point lead in the 2nd half, they could stall and put a lot of pressure on the opponent. To be honest, Dean Smith and his “four corners” did some of the same things. High School games are more exciting when it’s close and there is no shot clock. It’s almost like some of the rule changes were made to keep teams from holding on to their lead. I also feel like the 3 point shot led to guys jacking up 3’s in practices and not working on simple things like lay ups and free throws. 
Being 49, I lived thru these changes to the game as I played in elementary and middle school. I feel there are aspects of the game that were more pure and fundamentally sound before those two major changes.

And don’t get me started on palming/ carrying the ball. I think of a Kyrie Erving and many other NBA’ers today who would have been called for violations faster than a JHS double dribble.

Anyway, the game seemed more pure back then. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rev_AK said:

One thing that may have diminished the dominance of Coach Knight a little, was the advent of the shot clock, and to a lesser extent, the 3 point shot. 
I say this because if coach had a 3 point lead in the 2nd half, they could stall and put a lot of pressure on the opponent. To be honest, Dean Smith and his “four corners” did some of the same things. High School games are more exciting when it’s close and there is no shot clock. It’s almost like some of the rule changes were made to keep teams from holding on to their lead. I also feel like the 3 point shot led to guys jacking up 3’s in practices and not working on simple things like lay ups and free throws. 
Being 49, I lived thru these changes to the game as I played in elementary and middle school. I feel there are aspects of the game that were more pure and fundamentally sound before those two major changes.

And don’t get me started on palming/ carrying the ball. I think of a Kyrie Erving and many other NBA’ers today who would have been called for violations faster than a JHS double dribble.

Anyway, the game seemed more pure back then. 

Preach