• Turnovers
    • Poor shooting
    • Bad defense
    • Bad officiating
    • Outcoached
    • Lack of focus / intensity
    • Too many fouls

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/02/2023 at 10:14 AM

Well we got smoked on the turnover battle, but we really didn't have that many turnovers.

We shot terrible. That is indisputable.

Our defense really wasn't bad. 66 points, held them to like 30% shooting, their PPP was below 1.

I mean yeah, the refs definitely sucked.

We did get outreached but I didn't really think Woody did anything wrong tonight, just Willard put on a clinic.

We definitely lacked some focus and intensity. Our guards without X have been making a habit of that, especially on the road. 

We fouled a lot. I don't really remember too many foul calls against us that I thought we didn't foul - regardless of how the game was officiated on the other end we needed to do better there.

I'm not really sure I can pick any one thing, the game isn't played in a vacuum. I guess if we shoot our averages we win by like 5 or so. So maybe that?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Well we got smoked on the turnover battle, but we really didn't have that many turnovers.

We shot terrible. That is indisputable.

Our defense really wasn't bad. 66 points, held them to like 30% shooting, their PPP was below 1.

I mean yeah, the refs definitely sucked.

We did get outreached but I didn't really think Woody did anything wrong tonight, just Willard put on a clinic.

We definitely lacked some focus and intensity. Our guards without X have been making a habit of that, especially on the road. 

We fouled a lot. I don't really remember too many foul calls against us that I thought we didn't foul - regardless of how the game was officiated on the other end we needed to do better there.

I'm not really sure I can pick any one thing, the game isn't played in a vacuum. I guess if we shoot our averages we win by like 5 or so. So maybe that?

More concerned with our lack of forcing turnovers than our own turnovers, especially when struggling offensively, you need to find ways to create easy baskets. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Failing to shoot our average would have been influenced by getting fouled and not getting the call.  It's not a missed FG if that whistle is blown.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

More concerned with our lack of forcing turnovers than our own turnovers, especially when struggling offensively, you need to find ways to create easy baskets. 

A lot of that is missing X.  Our defensive efficiency numbers have really dropped since he went out.  Sure, the competition has been tougher, but the other guards really struggle keeping their man in front of them.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

A lot of that is missing X.  Our defensive efficiency numbers have really dropped since he went out.  Sure, the competition has been tougher, but the other guards really struggle keeping their man in front of them.   

Young had a step on anyone trying to defend him. That hurt quite a bit. 

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Failing to shoot our average would have been influenced by getting fouled and not getting the call.  It's not a missed FG if that whistle is blown.  

Sure, but I believe I saw we were 0-8 on twos that weren't dunks/layups. I don't remember feeling like we got fouled on all the mid range jumpers we clanked.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I believe we were favored 8-2 (L at MD, L at Purdue) in our last 10 games before the season according to ESPN

This is correct. Realistically we should be able to go something between 6-3 and 8-1 in the last 9 which would put us between 12-14 conference wins. A solid showing when you consider the injuries.

Not necessarily what we wanted heading into the season, but good enough to get us a good seed and a position to make a decent run in the tournament. 

• Like 1

IMHO, Inconsistent officiating and poor shooting was IU's demise. Turnovers seemed high because Maryland had so few. 12 or less TO's is about what Coach Woodson would shoot for. Also, we were getting great open shots from beyond the arc, as well as TJD and JHS. They just were not going in. 

The early and often, ticky-tack fouls hurt the flow of the game and ANY consistency that IU tried to establish. On top of that, the fouls the officials were calling on IU, weren't being called on the Terps..... At least the majority of them. IU shot 10-12 free throws while Maryland shot 25-29. IU, winners of 5 straight games, due to great defense and shooting, gets the shaft this game! They didn't play their best, but IMO, the officiating took the game away from them. 

If you asked me, I would tell you I'd much rather lose @ unranked Maryland and beat #1 Purdue at home this Saturday. 

GO IU!

• Like 3

I went back and forth, but picked bad officiating as I believe it contributed to most of the issues. With guys consistently being pulled due to foul trouble there was no real flow to the game. Especially with Trey, who was our most confident shooter it seemed. 

That being said, officiating is horrendous in every sport anymore. So 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Between2Halls

You have a starting guard going 1 of 14 with 4 turnovers. That will do it.

But the fouls were key. They allowed Maryland to score and then set up the press, which IU has struggled with since the Iowa game. You can argue they weren't turning it over at a high rate against the press but it slowed them to a crawl, ate up the shot clock, and forced them to run their offense quickly rather then allow TJD time to set up a move or a pass out of.

Unfortunately they have not figured out a way to break the press and attack it. Trey and Tamar, even JHS, do not seem sure about their dribble and you get the impression it's a turnover waiting to happen. Can the coaches come up with a better solution in how to attack with the pass? Maybe. But it's not showing up so far. Gabe Cupps can help solve that problem next year but it really highlights how much this team needs X this season. Plus, you won't have the same team next year and unless they add some size it may not matter. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

You have a starting guard going 1 of 14 with 4 turnovers. That will do it.

But the fouls were key. They allowed Maryland to score and then set up the press, which IU has struggled with since the Iowa game. You can argue they weren't turning it over at a high rate against the press but it slowed them to a crawl, ate up the shot clock, and forced them to run their offense quickly rather then allow TJD time to set up a move or a pass out of.

Unfortunately they have not figured out a way to break the press and attack it. Trey and Tamar, even JHS, do not seem sure about their dribble and you get the impression it's a turnover waiting to happen. Can the coaches come up with a better solution in how to attack with the pass? Maybe. But it's not showing up so far. Gabe Cupps can help solve that problem next year but it really highlights how much this team needs X this season. Plus, you won't have the same team next year and unless they add some size it may not matter. 

I understand we’re short-handed so I somewhat get it, but I’m a little annoyed that JHS can be as bad as he was and he continues to play. Now, I know TG was in foul trouble so that didn’t help, but I’d rather see Woody send a message and play anybody else (Leal?).  Not the message that you’re not allowed to have a bad night, but the message that if you’re having a bad night you need to find other ways to contribute instead of chucking up more shots when you can’t even come close. He needs to quickly find some basketball IQ if that’s even possible or TG needs to play the point more. 

• Like 2