Michigan II State Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

2 hours ago, Dawg Bawls said:

You musant say anything negative... ALWAYS be a homer...or youll upset the flock...

I'm at the age where I really don't give a "hoot" if other people disagree with me. Sometimes that's healthy, but I don't get upset about it. If they do, that's their baggage to carry, not mine.

Sometimes the truth is tough to swallow. Bates (and yes, Geronimo) have been very disappointing (to me) this season. Both were supposed to make major jumps forward in their games. It just hasn't happened consistently. Have there been some flashes of great play? Absolutely. It's just too bad that the bad play is the norm, and the flashes of brilliance are a rare occurrence. 

What would really be nice is if we could get some level of improvement consistently (out or either one of them). Not brilliance all the time, just good solid ball.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

I've  given Tamar a hard time this season when it is deserved. Sadly, that's more often than anyone would like but the stats and what we see in-game do not lie.

He's scored a total four points in the past three games (all against Illinois). Hasn't scored in double digits since the first MSU game on 1/22 (adding three total steals and hitting three total threes since that same time) while still getting decent minutes in spite of it. He's a virtual no show in every road game and unpredictable at home.

A guy who has played 59 official games at IU should be further along. His best skills appear to be the spot up jumper from three and scoring in transition. He's not a great ball handler, passer, and for his size doesn't rebound at a high rate (spectator when shots go up). His shot selection is at best suspect. He's a decent, at times, defender but not a lock down defender, and he frequently gets lost. For a guy 6'5 190 you don't see him taking advantage of smaller defenders or going by bigger defenders.  Where does that leave Tamar?

At this point, he has to figure out what he can do to help this team win down the stretch. It is unlikely we will see drastic improvements in his basketball skills this season. That will need to be done in the offseason. Still, he can make better decisions on offense and give more effort on defense. If all you get out of him is a reliable spot up jumper, getting out in transition, AND becoming more of an impact player on defense, it would help this team. 

The hardest thing about criticizing Tamar is everyone wants him to succeed. Everyone likes him and you want to believe he has the talent to be so much better. It starts with being a smarter basketball player and not trying to force things to happen. 

To be fair we can say similar things about Jordan and the reality is Logan should have been able to contribute by this point in his career. It is unfortunate but X and Race's injuries ended up highlighting the flaws in others. The good news is each of them has enough talent to become what IU needs. The bad news is, IU doesn't have time to wait on them this season.

Really good post here. My biggest problem with Tamar is the things you've said in bold above - he should simply have a higher basketball IQ at this point in his career than he actually does, and it's kind of hard to watch sometimes. I can't remember which game it was (NW, maybe?) where he took a terrible shot, and Hummel said something like "that better go in" because it was such a bad decision, on top of a couple of other mistakes Tamar had already made. In short, there are too many games where he has played like a freshman with respect to his decision making, and he's pretty close to being a complete liability on the road.

OTOH, we've seen flashes of his talent, and there's a really good to great player in there, particularly with respect to his offensive abilities. Every time he checks in, I wonder if this is the game where it starts to click for him. 

All that being said, I couldn't imagine having a kid in college on top of playing basketball at IU and all that goes along with that. Maybe he can get some NIL money from Pampers or something (I have no idea how long kids wear diapers).

Tamar hasn’t lived up to the potential that he’s been billed to have…and this has nothing to do with his 5 star ranking…If memory serves me correctly, as recent as this summer reports were he was the most improved player and was ready to make a huge jump this year…unfortunately, outside of the MSU game (and maybe Arizona) we haven’t seen that player. When he’s in the game and begins rushing things and taking bad shots I think he actually becomes a net negative for the team. Finishing at the rim is something he needs to get better at as well. I hope Tamar proves me and others wrong, but he’s nearing the end of the his sophomore year…

If he could be a consistent player it would take our team to a whole new level. I hope it begins to click and he takes it up a notch to the player we know he’s capable of being…just not going to hold my breath. 

With X hopefully coming back…I expect Tamar’s minutes to be diminished. 

Edited by Hoosier987

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Was just reviewing MSU's roster and noticed the following:

- No products of Indiana high school basketball.  Izzo used to make a living snagging kids from the Hoosier State.

- A whole lot of Prep/Academy players on the roster.  Is there such a thing as too many players from that type of environment?  Could that be a factor in the disappointing 16-10 record?  

Too many 'egos' to stroke?

5 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Any word on who's reffn' the game tomorrow night? Sorry, I can't remember if it was already posted.

I doubled check and they changed it an 1 hour before tipoff, I believe they used to announce way earlier but with people going nuts over officiating, it makes sense. Because they don’t want their officials being stalked or harassed 

10 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I doubled check and they changed it an 1 hour before tipoff, I believe they used to announce way earlier but with people going nuts over officiating, it makes sense. Because they don’t want their officials being stalked or harassed 

Seems to me if the refs called the game consistently, and without bias, they wouldn't be harassed....😕

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, DWB said:

Seems to me if the refs called the game consistently, and without bias, they wouldn't be harassed....😕

Agree that officiating needs to improve. But no one deserves to be harassed for their job performance. Criticism is one thing. Harassment is another. 
Might be one reason why the quality of the officiating is so poor. I could imagine a lot of highly qualified and competent officials not wanting to put up with the crazy and sometimes dangerous fan actions

• Like 5

Huge game tonight - will be a very tough crowd IMO given the circumstances (not that it is ever an easy place to play).

Obviously we took care of business the first time, and other than a slow start really dominated them. A lot of that slow start was because Hauser got going, but we didn't have Race. I think Race can be a huge difference maker on Hauser.

Flip side of that is Galloway and Bates had huge offensive games, that seems unlikely to happen in East Lansing. I just don't expect much out of Bates at all at this point, Galloway we need to have a good game even if it isn't scoring 17 points again. 

We need good Jalen for 35 minutes tonight, IMO. He has to be locked in and focused - I don't care about missing shots, but no lazy turnovers and don't force bad shots like he did against Illinois.

Back to Race - he's been finding his groove offensively lately and I think he can score some on Hauser.

Expect big minutes from our 5 starters again, but not really sure where we go beyond that? Bates hasn't been good, Geronimo really struggled the first game again them (fouled out in 13 minutes), and Reneau fouled out as well. We really probably need those three to find a way to give us about 40-50 minutes of quality play tonight.

It's a tough game, but a winnable game. We really need to win one of these next two. Let's get it boys! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Agree that officiating needs to improve. But no one deserves to be harassed for their job performance. Criticism is one thing. Harassment is another. 
Might be one reason why the quality of the officiating is so poor. I could imagine a lot of highly qualified and competent officials not wanting to put up with the crazy and sometimes dangerous fan actions

Wow..... I'm a HS teacher in public education for 28 years now. I read that last line and could easily replace the words officials and officiating with the words "teacher/teachers" and that is public education right now. Replace with crazy/dangerous parents, then add lazy and entitled students. Pretty sad and frustrating. JMO, and I don't mean to bring this to the board. Just had to vent a bit.

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I hope TJD takes this opportunity to show the clown Jay Bilas just how good he is.

Good opportunity to show walking piece of human garbage Tom Izzo how dominant he is, too. 

I think it's safe to say that TJD is fully aware of his doubters and has obviously used that as motivation as well as adding fuel to his overall game. 

Side note.....When I saw Illinois guard, Mathew Mayer mock TJD with his rendition of his "raise the roof", I thought,....."Man, that was a bad idea! That kind of cocky $#iT in enemy territory is classless and only going to bite you in the A$$!"

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

I think it's safe to say that TJD is fully aware of his doubters and has obviously use that as motivation as well as adding fuel to his overall game. 

Side note.....When I saw Illinois guard, Mathew Mayer mock TJD with his rendition of his "raise the roof", I thought,....."Man, that was a bad idea! That kind of cocky $#iT in enemy territory is classless and only going to bite you in the A$$!"

I think that game, Mayer was well for the first half, but became sick at halftime 🙂

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, DWB said:

I'm at the age where I really don't give a "hoot" if other people disagree with me. Sometimes that's healthy, but I don't get upset about it. If they do, that's their baggage to carry, not mine.

Sometimes the truth is tough to swallow. Bates (and yes, Geronimo) have been very disappointing (to me) this season. Both were supposed to make major jumps forward in their games. It just hasn't happened consistently. Have there been some flashes of great play? Absolutely. It's just too bad that the bad play is the norm, and the flashes of brilliance are a rare occurrence. 

What would really be nice is if we could get some level of improvement consistently (out or either one of them). Not brilliance all the time, just good solid ball.

I agree... and especially with the consistency issue.  Disappointing for sure.

48 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Wow..... I'm a HS teacher in public education for 28 years now. I read that last line and could easily replace the words officials and officiating with the words "teacher/teachers" and that is public education right now. Replace with in crazy/dangerous parents then add lazy and entitled students. Pretty sad and frustrating. JMO, and I don't mean to bring this to the board. Just had to vent a bit.

I taught special needs students for 9 years and did a fair amount of coaching as well. Left teaching in the late 80’s and it was a problem then. Can only imagine how much worse it is today 

• Like 1