Michigan II State Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Tuesday, February 21st 9:00 pm EST 

Where: Breslin Center, East Lansing, Michigan

TV: ESPN

Indiana visits East Lansing for a game with Tom Izzo's 16-10 (8-7, 8th in Big Ten) Spartans. This will be the first home game for MSU since the terrible shooting tragedy on February 13th. Hats of to the Spartan's opponents yesterday, state rival Michigan, for a tribute before the game in Ann Arbor.

Michigan State is 3-3 in their last 6, winning at home against Iowa and Maryland, and on the road to Ohio State, while losing road contests to Purdue, Rutgers, and Michigan.

image.png.dc1f005b54b4810a5fea460cb9ad125e.png

Box Score of our 1/22 game in Bloomington

image.png.af357ba680ff8d754e64fc1393e21a75.png

image.png.1653ec6629850f0018389bdfbfdafa83.png

image.png.9fde475264a4bb45c8ca8d334d7c5c18.png

We can expect the same staring 5 they employed in the first game...Sissoko, Hauser, Hoggard, Akins, and Walker. The real difference this time is that Malik Hall, who lit us up for 18 points when we took a 76-61 thumping at The Breslin Center last year is back from an ankle/foot injury. Hall, Pierre Brooks, and Freshman Jaxson Kohler see double digit minutes off the bench for Sparty.

MSU is 11th in ORtg and 7th in DRtg in the Big 10.

Last game, Trayce was Trayce, but we got huge contributions from Galloway and Bates, while JHS struggled and Race was still out. We'll need all 4 to play well in what promises to be an emotionally charged game for the Spartans.

Go Hoosiers!

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7

32 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

When: Tuesday, February 21st 9:00 pm EST 

Where: Breslin Center, East Lansing, Michigan

TV: ESPN

Indiana visits East Lansing for a game with Tom Izzo's 16-10 (8-7, 8th in Big Ten) Spartans. This will be the first home game for MSU since the terrible shooting tragedy on February 13th. Hats of to the Spartan's opponents yesterday, state rival Michigan, for a tribute before the game in Ann Arbor.

Michigan State is 3-3 in their last 6, winning at home against Iowa and Maryland, and on the road to Ohio State, while losing road contests to Purdue, Rutgers, and Michigan.

image.png.dc1f005b54b4810a5fea460cb9ad125e.png

Box Score of our 1/22 ganme in Bloomington

image.png.af357ba680ff8d754e64fc1393e21a75.png

image.png.1653ec6629850f0018389bdfbfdafa83.png

image.png.9fde475264a4bb45c8ca8d334d7c5c18.png

We can expect the same staring 5 they employed in the first game...Sissoko, Hauser, Hoggard, Akins, and Walker. The real difference this time is that Malik Hall, who lit us up for 18 points when we took a 76-61 thumping at The Breslin Center last year is back from an ankle/foot injury. Hall, Pierre Brooks, and Freshman Jaxson Kohler see double digit minutes off the bench for Sparty.

MSU is 11th in ORtg and 7th in DRtg in the Big 10.

Last game, Trayce was Trayce, but we got huge contributions from Galloway and Bates, while JHS struggled and Race was still out. We'll need all 4 to play well in what promises to be an emotionally charged game for the Spartans.

Go Hoosiers!

I felt like we really struggled finding anyone that could stay with Hauser last game.  

Who's going to step up?

26 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

The best was when Izzo was so clearly exasperated when Justin Smith went off.  Can't say I blame him on that one.  😅

The only problem with that one was Justin hit all of them in the 1st. If I remember correctly MSU had the lead at the half and Justin didn’t hit another 3?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Breslin is going to be jacked to have their first home game since their pause. MSU needs another good win and will be desperate. I hope we come ready from the tip for those factors. I hope I’m wrong, but it feels like one of those games where we are about to walk into a buzz saw. 

I’m not really confident on these next 2 games 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

When are we ever confident about games on the road? I know I’m not there yet.

Through the years I have been confident about quite a few road games.  This is not one of them.  I just hope we are in a position to win it come the end...but I would prefer a nice, comfy 20 point victory.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Through the years I have been confident about quite a few road games.  This is not one of them.  I just hope we are in a position to win it come the end...but I would prefer a nice, comfy 20 point victory.

What if lead by 25 most of the second half but the reserves let them cut into the lead the last 2 minutes and we only win by 12?

Honestly, this could be a game that MSU feels too much pressure and we spank them.  They have a lot of emotional factors.  Akins is another guy playing with crazy confidence.   Did anyone see him jam on Michigan's face?  Holy moly.  

But yeah, bring the defense and be mentally tough.  Make shots, limit the really really really really stupid turnovers (no names).  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Honestly, this could be a game that MSU feels too much pressure and we spank them.  They have a lot of emotional factors.  Akins is another guy playing with crazy confidence.   Did anyone see him jam on Michigan's face?  Holy moly.  

But yeah, bring the defense and be mentally tough.  Make shots, limit the really really really really stupid turnovers (no names).  

Took a quick peak at MSU 247 and some are concerned about this game and I saw a few comments mentioning that some of their players should be on a MAC team. But, IU on the road is awkward questionable and we must bring our A-game on Tuesday. Seemed like MSU struggled quite a bit when Hoggard and Sissoko were off the floor. Strong feeling Izzo will double team TJD on Tuesday. MSU is desperate and they want this game badly, but like you said, seems like they are under pressure and could make some crucial mistakes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Akins is definitely going to be a player...

But I honestly believe that Izzo has exceeded his coaching shelf life...

• Like 1

Unofficial Depth/injury report

Michigan State is 10-2 at the Breslin Center went a close loss to Purdue last month and a December loss to Northwestern. They are currently 4-2 at home in B10 play. Starting off, 6’9 220 F Joey Hauser (Team’s leading scorer and primary 3-point threat), 6’9 240 C Mandy Sissoko (Lives underneath the basket, 2nd in team rebound and 1st in blocks), 6’4 210 G AJ Hoggard (Does a lot of things for MSU, he is their glue guy), 6’4 190 G Jaden Akins (Very underrated player, scoring has increased drastically, had 15 points in the first matchup) and 6’1 180 G Tyson Walker (Very efficient player, and averaging around 13.7 PPG). Over the last few games, a majority of the starters have been playing for about 32+ minutes in their games, especially the more quality games I have seen. They foul a lot too averaging around 17 fouls, and turns it over around 11 times per game. Seems like they give up around 6 steals a game, but does shoot 36.7% 3FG in Conference play. But when they click, it’s tough to beat them. They are desperate for this one.

MSU primarily plays around 7-8 deep during games, especially in conference play. The main rotation players coming off the bench is now 6’8 220 F Malik Hall (9.0 PPG, was a starter, he has been dealing with ankle problems the entire season), 6’9 240 F/C Jaxon Kohler (3.4 ppg, had some early success against us), and 6’6 220 G Pierre Brooks (4.3 PPG, kept fouling in our game). 

6’11 230 C Carson Cooper and 6’2 180 G Tre Holloman occasionally will come off the bench.

Injury/out report

None

• Like 4

10 hours ago, loviubb said:

Do YOU like IU? The young MAN REPRESENTS IU!! He became a father at IU!  HE is IU FAMILY!!! HE gives his all!!!

Tamar is a very nice young man. No qualms at all with him there.

His play of late has been detrimental to us winning. Getting beat on defense (alot), making bad passes, he's just not focused, or so it seems. If he was scoring 10-12 pt s a game you could put up with that somewhat...perhaps. But for the last 3-4 games he's been subpar.

My 2¢

• Like 1