Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

55 minutes ago, btownqb said:

@IUFLA I think at the beginning I didn't do a good enough job of explaining myself... 

I also thought our schollies were a little tighter than what they are... but.. 

1. 11 guys- XJ, GC, TB, TG, KB, CG, JG, MR, LD, Leal, JN.. 

In my eyes... add a Battle+ 6'10+ rim protector to that... 

I think thats a good roster. This is even, probably.. my preferred roster.. or close to it... 

2. But.. I do NOT think JG is a 28mpg on a good team next season.. more importantly, IF CMW views it that way... and doesn't believe either... 

3. JG can truly help us the way we want.. or

4. We want those mins to go to Kaleb Banks in the 2nd unit... 

5. I would have zero issue(for a # of reasons) if he told JG it would be better if he moved on... 

... that is my opinion and the best I can clearly say it. 

And I agree with all of that...

My MAIN point was I don't want us dumping guys to make us a revolving door for the transfer portal... If we get one or 2 here or there, that's fine...

My hope is were recruiting 4 and 5 star kids that we can mix with our veterans and develop... 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, IUFLA said:

And I agree with all of that...

My MAIN point was I don't want us dumping guys to make us a revolving door for the transfer portal... If we get one or 2 here or there, that's fine...

My hope is were recruiting 4 and 5 star kids that we can mix with our veterans and develop... 

I agree in theory, but with only two recruits coming in, we’ll have to hit the portal out of necessity. If JHS leaves, we’ll lose 4 starters, and that’s not counting any potential players transferring out. We could easily need to replace up to 6 players. I would expect CMW to be aggressive, and bring in the best available players, even if it means recruiting over guys on the current roster. It’s not an ideal situation, but with so many key players leaving, he’ll have no choice, if wants to build on the momentum of the last two years. He’ll look to bring in 4/5 star guys in the 23-24 class.

I see a lot of non-producers at the mid-major level in the portal thus far.  Not sure what most of these kids are thinking, but I remember reading somewhere about the majority in the portal don't actually end up finding another school.  It would be interesting to see the statistics on players who end up losing a scholarship by entering the portal.

Absolutely, I see IU as a player in the portal this year, but a lot of these kids are kidding themselves if they think a better offer is coming.  New start for some guys, maybe, but I see IU taking a pass on 95% of what I see in the portal thus far.

Personally, I think Armaan Franklin made a mistake going into the portal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

I agree in theory, but with only two recruits coming in, we’ll have to hit the portal out of necessity. If JHS leaves, we’ll lose 4 starters, and that’s not counting any potential players transferring out. We could easily need to replace up to 6 players. I would expect CMW to be aggressive, and bring in the best available players, even if it means recruiting over guys on the current roster. It’s not an ideal situation, but with so many key players leaving, he’ll have no choice, if wants to build on the momentum of the last two years. He’ll look to bring in 4/5 star guys in the 23-24 class.

Gotta be the right kid(s) with the right mindset... 

3 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

I would expect CMW to be aggressive, and bring in the best available players, even if it means recruiting over guys on the current roster.

It's Woodson's job to bring in the best players and field the best team every year. 

It's each player's job to be good enough to start or play.

I sure hope IU doesn't not recruit someone because a current player might be unhappy with competition.

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If IU brings in a 5 I want it to be a legit 7 footer that’s got some athleticism. I think that could be necessary if Reneau is the starting 5 at around 6’8. I don’t think Kaufman-Renn would help much but I might take him or anyone else from Purdue just to stick it to Purdue if I’m Woodson lol

Edited by DC2345
  • Haha 3