Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I know the portal is an integral part of today's game. I just honestly hate the outwardly trashing (maybe not the right word) or suggesting certain players can hit the bricks.

I know they are getting paid. I realize with that fans feel like they can criticize. They are still kids though. 

Not really kids anymore because Memphis had a 26 year old playing on their team

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I must have missed his Dad saying anything. I've interacted with him all season and he seems to always know CJ's time will come next year and beyond. 

Thats great to hear. It was sent to me. In fairness I want to remember it was around the Iowa road game.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Thats great to hear. It was sent to me. In fairness I want to remember it was around the Iowa road game.

Not doubting you or anyone for sure! I clearly missed it but CJ's Dad has always struck me as someone who is well aware his sons turn wasn't going to be this year.

Who knows anymore what happens behind closed doors with parents though. They can have an online persona to get followers and act like a fool behind the scenes. 

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I know the portal is an integral part of today's game. I just honestly hate the outwardly trashing (maybe not the right word) or suggesting certain players can hit the bricks.

I know they are getting paid. I realize with that fans feel like they can criticize. They are still kids though. 

Race has been here 6 years. Bates has a child. They aren't kids. I get what you are saying, but Times have changed. The NIL, the portal. A reporter on XM radio said you aren't jack unless you've played at 3 schools chasing the dollar. Its the world we now live in.

• Like 2

Of the 3 names mentioned so far, Timberlake is the one that I think fits what we need...

Ledlum is a sub 30% 3 point shooter, and when I think how Ivy League wings translate to the Big 10, I always think of Seth Towns...

And have you seen Jamison Battle play defense?

Neither have I...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Of the 3 names mentioned so far, Timberlake is the one that I think fits what we need...

Ledlum is a sub 30% 3 point shooter, and when I think how Ivy League wings translate to the Big 10, I always think of Seth Towns...

Neither have I...

Towns never had a real chance to show what he could do because of injuries

Just now, IU Scott said:

Towns never had a real chance to show what he could do because of injuries

He played a full season (25 games) at OSU and was never able to crack the starting 5...I know he had some physical issues, but he was never a Big 10 caliber player in the time he had in Columbus...

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Neither have I...

I think he's the one of the 3 that you named that we need the least. We have zero 4s. 

Ledlum avged 10 boards a game, as well. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I think he's the one of the 3 that you named that we need the least. We have zero 4s. 

But neither Ledlum or Battle are the perfect fit we need at the 4 either.  Let's not jump on them just because they ar 4's.  Let's look for the 4 that checks all the boxes, not just one or two of them.

• Like 1

Just now, 5fouls said:

But neither Ledlum or Battle are the perfect fit we need at the 4 either.  Let's not jump on them just because they ar 4's.  Let's look for the 4 that checks all the boxes, not just one or two of them.

Wait.. why wouldnt they be perfect fits? 

Especially Battle. What/who, what mold is "perfect"? 6'11, athletic, can shoot and handle it? Those guys are in the NBA. Be realistic and build a roster, not acquire talent. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

8,5...In the Ivy League...Yeah...Think he could replicate that in the Big 10?

And no comment on the 3 point %?

I keep hearing we need shooters...Out of those 3, Timberlake looks to be not only the one with the highest %, but the one who can manufacture his own shot...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

8,5...In the Ivy League...Yeah...Think he could replicate that in the Big 10?

And no comment on the 3 point %?

I keep hearing we need shooters...Out of those 3, Timberlake looks to be not only the one with the highest $, but the one who can manufacture his own shot...

I'm not worried at all about a 4 man that shot 135 3s and a 29% clip. He'll shoot 32% plus for us with some volume, development/quality of shot. thats very close to what we need... 29% from 3 doesnt scare me at all.. 

Timberlake also doesn't play a position that we HAVE to have. Its not just about who's better. 

Just now, btownqb said:

I'm not worried at all about a 4 man that shot 135 3s and a 29% clip. He'll shoot 32% plus for us with some volume, development/quality of shot. thats very close to what we need... 29% from 3 doesnt scare me at all.. 

Timberlake also doesn't play a position that we HAVE to have. Its not just about who's better. 

A short 4 man at 29%...And that's against Ivy League defenses...

Ok...

• Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

I dont really care to convince you lol

That's not my job. 

And that's ok...You know I respect your basketball knowledge...But rather than just grab the new shiny object, I'd rather develop a kid like Banks...

Ledlum, and I've watched some full games on him in the past week, just isn't that impressive to me