Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

I’m not if there isn’t already a transfer portal thread, but I couldn’t find it if there is. Perhaps we can pin one here? Considering the fluidity and ever evolving roster moves in the current landscape of college basketball, I think it would be appropriate. Anyway, I was scrolling on Twitter earlier and saw this tweet from one of our guys, and it got me thinking… not necessarily of this particular tweet, but who do we think would be a nice, legitimate addition to this team next season? I feel like there will be more than a few spots that will open up due to graduation, going pro and just moving on to chase opportunities elsewhere. 

3008CCC3-0D20-4C22-B1A3-B871AD2DBFD4.png

Edited by Danomatic
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Danomatic said:

I’m not if there isn’t already a transfer portal thread, but I couldn’t find it if there is. Perhaps we can pin one here? Considering the fluidity and ever evolving roster moves in the current landscape of college basketball, I think it would be appropriate. Anyway, I was scrolling on Twitter earlier and saw this tweet from one of our guys, and it got me thinking… not necessarily of this particular tweet, but who do we think would be a nice, legitimate addition to this team next season? I feel like there will be more than a few spots that will open up due to graduation, going pro and just moving on to chase opportunities elsewhere. 

Here are my personal thoughts and I could be wayyyy wrong but I’ll say it anyways:

I do think bates,duncomb, and JG will transfer out. We are gonna get a ton of transfers but also need to be smart to leave open spots for 24-25 so gonna have to get lots of one year guys… my prediction for roster next year is:

Newton 

cupps

banks 

gallo 

leal 

Gunn 

reneau 

I don’t expect any of these guys to be done after next year or transfer out. I think we take 3-4 players with one year left and 1-2 players with multiple years left

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Here are my personal thoughts and I could be wayyyy wrong but I’ll say it anyways:

I do think bates,duncomb, and JG will transfer out. We are gonna get a ton of transfers but also need to be smart to leave open spots for 24-25 so gonna have to get lots of one year guys… my prediction for roster next year is:

Newton 

cupps

banks 

gallo 

leal 

Gunn 

reneau 

I don’t expect any of these guys to be done after next year or transfer out. I think we take 3-4 players with one year left and 1-2 players with multiple years left

Older teams win. What ever you do  you cant take 5 or 6 freshmen anymore with the portal being there.. 24 and 25 are loaded, I know but you dont win with young players, see UK. Early, but I see only one transfer hope 2 and I'll keep names to myself.

Edited by Indykev
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Older teams win. What ever you do  you cant take 5 or 6 freshmen anymore with the portal being there.. 24 and 25 are loaded, I know but you dont win with young players, see UK. Early, but I see only one transfer hope 2 and I'll keep names to myself.

I totally agree and that’s why I said 3-4 players with only one year eligibility remaining.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Can you change the Subject to "Transfer Portal 2023"? We had one for last year and I figure we'll have them in coming years as well... TIA

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

You know though, maybe if he had a coach that would actually coach him instead of throwing his players under the bus, he could become a pretty good player...

I thought he had some "family" issues or something along those lines?  I dunno, the kid de-committed from UK then leaves the Illini squad.  

2 minutes ago, rico said:

I thought he had some "family" issues or something along those lines?  I dunno, the kid de-committed from UK then leaves the Illini squad.  

He's got talent...I'll say that...

I think a lot of his issues had to deal with the knee injury he suffered at Montverde, and the confidence factor...Maybe a father figure like CMW is just the ticket...

I thought it was the Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn kid that had the psycho family...

Edited by IUFLA

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He's got talent...I'll say that...

I think a lot of his issues had to deal with the knee injury he suffered at Montverde, and the confidence factor...Maybe a father figure like CMW is just the ticket...

I thought it was the Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn kid that had the psycho family...

https://www.si.com/college/2023/01/07/illinoiss-skyy-clark-steps-away-from-basketball-for-personal-reasons

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know any of the particulars, but the first thought is, he wanted to get away from that program and Underwood...I'm not sure of the dynamics in "prioritizing family" but maybe he used it as a convenient excuse?

Could be.  I am sure he will be highly sought after.  I just don't think it will be us.  But ya never know.

Over under of this thread hitting 134(last year's portal thread) before school starts next year?

Im going with the over.  Shoot yesterday, a few of yall got going for 4 pages in an hour about something so important,  I can’t even remember what it was today.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, rico said:

Could be.  I am sure he will be highly sought after.  I just don't think it will be us.  But ya never know.

The ONLY reason I say it is because he's a Montverde kid, and I would imagine he talks to Malik and JHS...And with JHS possibly NBA bound, we do need a PG...

I trust Woody with reclamation projects...He won't put up with any BS, but he will coach the kid...

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Over under of this thread hitting 100 before school starts next year?

Im going with the over.  Shoot yesterday, a few of yall got going for 4 pages in an hour about something so important,  I can’t even remember what it was today.  

image.jpeg.bc3160161f935eff9a2a36bd8936b971.jpeg

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Over under of this thread hitting 100 before school starts next year?

Yes sir, thread has potential and will be hopping in a few weeks.  Favorite time to read the board. 

• Like 2