Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

1 minute ago, Victobmyboy said:

That’s a set offense. It sucks when you can’t score on the first set. That’s how you stop Purdue. Make them set up under 20 seconds. Limit their possession. That’s why a 4/5 out usually works better. You aren’t limited to one set. I like the offense. Just need that true stretch guy to make it really click. That’s why race always had the green light. Recruits notice those things. No sets. We don’t want to flame out like Purdue. 

The only thing I really have a complaint is win we just put TJD in the post and just throw it into him and just standing around the perimeter. When we move around TJD and use him in screen and roles our offense looks better

Just now, IU Scott said:

The only thing I really have a complaint is win we just put TJD in the post and just throw it into him and just standing around the perimeter. When we move around TJD and use him in screen and roles our offense looks better

Teams overplay the screen and roll. Some are athletic enough to defend it. That’s when you throw it to the post to draw the double team. When that happens a shooter should be open. Many times they are. This is when we miss a stretch 4. One more shooter would really make this go. Purdue isn’t athletic enough to guard the pick n roll. Those mid range shots are a killer when you drop. Most don’t. It’s more complicated and would take more time to explain but you get the gist. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just don't like that style of offense because I actually want plays to get our shooters open looks.  I don't want others to have to win their matchup to get open looks for stand still shooters.  I guess I just got used to a certain type of offense that was beautiful to watch. Under RMK we never just put guys in the post and try to pass into them. They got post men looks by moving them and maybe some cross screening to get them into the post.

So, would you rather play a style of offense that most NBAteams don’t play? Or would you rather play a style that recruits and portal transfers could learn that they believe will prepare them for the next level?

Which do you think would attract the high level players that we want to build our program with? Which style do you think CMW has spent his entire professional career playing or coaching?

CMW—“ Hi Johnny 5-star. I want you to come to IU and I’ll prepare you for the next level by playing an offense that most NBA teams don’t.”  Not gonna work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So, would you rather play a style of offense that most NBAteams don’t play? Or would you rather play a style that recruits and portal transfers could learn that they believe will prepare them for the next level?

Which do you think would attract the high level players that we want to build our program with? Which style do you think CMW has spent his entire professional career playing or coaching?

CMW—“ Hi Johnny 5-star. I want you to come to IU and I’ll prepare you for the next level by playing an offense that most NBA teams don’t.”  Not gonna work.

Archie had no film to show a stretch 4. Woody has a ton of film to show now. I know our 4s haven’t been effective but he can show the green light. He lets everyone shoot. They may not make them but dang it he wants them to. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

If you watch the NBA game you don't see many just posting up their big man and playing through the post

• Danomatic changed the title to Transfer Portal 2023
1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You referred to the RMK motion offense and you compared that to today’s game. 
Today’s game is not the motion offense 

I think if it was ran correctly you can still win with it.  Players aren't use to having to guard players moving and cutting. They definitely don't know how to fight through screens for 40 minutes.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think if it was ran correctly you can still win with it.  Players aren't use to having to guard players moving and cutting. They definitely don't know how to fight through screens for 40 minutes.

Missing the point entirely. 
We will never recruit today’s elite players by running that system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Shot clock. It’s hard to run that. The 4 out is motion. Just not the type you remember. Also the NBA can’t use certain defense es against it. Woody runs the right stuff to attract NBA talent. Give it time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

Shot clock. It’s hard to run that. The 4 out is motion. Just not the type you remember. Also the NBA can’t use certain defense es against it. Woody runs the right stuff to attract NBA talent. Give it time. 

Again the only thing I dislike is when we solely go to the post up of TJD and just throw it into him. MSU todaybran many plays to get Hauser and Walker open shots by screening for them. I see very little of that in our offense.

Does anyone know of any up and coming potential coaching changes to look out for? Perhaps that’s another gray area where we could possibly pull a couple nice pieces away. I’m not positive right at the moment, but a lot of the guys prior to this season believed to be squarely on the hot seat, have had decent seasons in terms of maintaining their position. I know there’s a lot of smoke around Cal and Texas, which would leave some big time incoming freshman with questions, but let’s be honest… that buyout is way too big, unless Texas were going to pay up. I don’t see the UK brass letting him go anywhere with the group he’s got coming in next year. However, if he were to fail next season with that talented class, I’d say that their marriage would be over. Failing would be not getting to an elite eight, imo. I’m getting away from myself though… 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Chris Holtmann at OSU might have a bit of a hot seat...

I'd take Okpara, Thornton, and Sensabaugh 🙂

Hearing Sensabaugh is a first rounder… I’d say he’s gone, if I read that correctly. I like the other two, although if it happens, I’m sure they’ll wait to see who replaces him. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Does anyone know of any up and coming potential coaching changes to look out for? 

Brey is leaving Notre Dame. Already speculation that could knock loose JJ Starling, a 6'4" CG who originally felt overwhelmed by the decision process before committing to ND because of his relationship to Brey. Five star recruit ranked around 20 by all the services. No IU offer initially, but he's now been in the state for two years. 

• Thanks 2