Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

8 hours ago, btownqb said:

Imo.. its just natural progression. And some focus. 

But..  there have been times, and rightfully so..  where he was playing well/really well and was pulled with 6-8 mins to go, in favor of getting TG/JHS/MK back in the game... that isn't going to happen next year. 

So that's fine, he does need to be more consistent, but the 8 games with 0 points doesn't tell the whole story.  Some of those games we won easily anyways, I believe.  

I think his shot selection has to get better. Taking two to three dribbles and shooting over someone early in the shot clock and missing most of those shots is just not what you want to see as part of his progression.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Danomatic said:

I also like Gunn, but he’s going to have to be a first in, last out guy all off season if he hopes to get involved. He showed flashes at times, but not enough yet, in terms of me buying his stock for next season. I hope he does though! He’s long and athletic enough to be a nice piece! 

First day of off-season I’m asking Hulls to help fix my shot and work on it every day with him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I think his shot selection has to get better. Taking two to three dribbles and shooting over someone early in the shot clock and missing most of those shots is just not what you want to see as part of his progression.

It's no more than a mental error. 

13 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I think there absolutely is a mental element that is in play, and it's this one: Tamar knows TJD and JHS are playing.

I fully believe that Bates has the talent and ability to score the basketball at this level. Yes he hasn't been consistent, but he hasn't really needed to be. We've managed to win despite his lackluster offensive contributions. Because of TJD & JHS's effectiveness at scoring (and because we run so much of our offense through them) there isn't the urgency and imperativeness for Bates to score. If he does, it's almost like a bonus, rather than an expectation.

With those two gone next season, it's very reasonable that his own expectations rise -- and with it his production. 

Sorry, Bates bad shot selection almost immediately every time he comes in doesn’t jive with this take imo.

6 minutes ago, 94Bulldog said:

Not when those one or two plays a game are momentum killers.  A bad shot early in the shot clock is the same as a turnover.  

That mental error isn't anymore of a momentum killer then any other mistakes. Tamars mistakes aren't worse than others mistakes.  

Edited by btownqb

I really don't remember Bates just coming in and firing up shots. I've seen a couple I think we're questionable shot selections, but if he's open, I think Woody wants him to shoot the ball. Out of all of our shooters, I think he's the one that can string 3 or 4 together and get us on a roll.

Heck, in the 3 games before the Michigan game, he'd only taken 2 shots (missed both) total in 38 minutes... 

Woody's happy I'm happy. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Fardaws Aimaq

6-11, 245lb

Averages 12 ppg and 8 boards for Texas Tech (and you knew there were going to be some transfers from there)

Saw this as well. He's a one year guy, too. Get him a good NIL package and I'd love to have him off the bench like Tennessee uses Plavsic

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Fardaws Aimaq

6-11, 245lb

Averages 12 ppg and 8 boards for Texas Tech (and you knew there were going to be some transfers from there)

Love the idea of having an athletic big for rim protection, rebounding, garbage buckets and to match up against the Edeys out there. Not sure if he is that guy, but I'd like to add  someone that fits that profile. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

Love the idea of having an athletic big for rim protection, rebounding, garbage buckets and to match up against the Edeys out there. Not sure if he is that guy, but I'd like to add  someone that fits that profile. 

Hold up. I just realized... this kid was WAC POY x1 and WAC DPOY x2. Yeah we definitely want this kid. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/fardaws-aimaq-1.html

• Like 1

This article lists a few more intriguing transfers...

Josh Cohen – St. Francis
6’10
Forward

2022-23 Stats: 22ppg, 9rpg, 3apg, 59% shooting

The 6’10 junior prospect was graded and ranked as one of the top effective prospects in the country, as the St. Francis big man is coming off a season in which he averaged 22.1ppg, shot 59 percent, 8.3rpg, and 2.5apg.  And it is not like he hasn’t performed against some strong competition either; recording two 40-point games vs. Lehigh and Hawaii, 30pts, 9rebs vs. Miami, 18pts, 10rebs vs. Ohio State, and scoring 25 or more points in 10 games. When you watch highlights, he is one that shows good footwork and presence without the ball, a good understanding in the post with his back to the basket as well as footwork, and has a soft touch.

Paxson Wojcik – Brown
6’5
Guard

Coming from South Carolina, Wojcik had his best season at Brown this year in which he averaged nearly 15ppg, but also showed how effective he can be in other areas, averaging 7.2rpg and 3.2 apg. He shows that he can be effective in scoring in a variety of ways, but also averaged 2.1 made 3-pointers a game.

Nicolas Timberlake – Towson
6’4
Guard

The leading scorer at Towson this season, Timberlake had his best season of his long career at Towson. He is coming off a year in which he averaged 17.7ppg, 3.9rpg, and 2.4apg, while shooting 41.6 percent from 3 (2.8 made threes per game), and shooting 45 percent overall.  Each year, Timberlake made strides and increased his number, and certainly has plenty of experience under his belt with 90 starts and 122 total games. Does a nice job in getting to his spots for his shot, and has a little bounce to his game.

Evan Taylor – Lehigh
6’6
Guard

Taylor is a big guard that can produce in a variety of ways when you watch his game. At his size (6’6), Taylor shows his ability to be a threat from multiple levels, rising up from behind the arc and shooting 42.5 percent from three, but also his ability to get to the basket and score over defenders. He also has always been productive on the glass, averaging 5.6 rebounds throughout his four-year career at Lehigh. He has started 88 games, and played in over 100 of them.

Nate Calmese – Lamar
6’2
Guard

Only a freshman, Calmese proved to be one of the top-scoring freshmen in the country.  He is coming off a season in which he averaged 17.6ppg, and started all 31 games.  He shot 48 percent from the floor, 36 percent from three, and showed his ability to be a scoring threat with the ball in his hands.  It is something he did in high school as well; after missing his junior season, he averaged nearly 32ppg as a senior.  He should have plenty of suitors.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Fardaws Aimaq

6-11, 245lb

Yup, he's a solid player. It'll be interesting to see who all transfers from Texas Tech. The most intriguing one to me would be Jaylon Tyson. He seems like a true impact player, though he seems like he might be more likely to transfer to another Texas school if he does leave.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

When he only shoot4-5 times a game you’re darn tootin it’s a big emphasis on his game… you and I agree on 99.9% of things but this is the .01% we disagree on lol

It's not different than TGs inability to stay out of foul trouble/commit continuous unnecessary fouls, TJD's stupid waist level/one hand passes out of the post, Race Thompson getting lost off the ball to give one of the Murrays an open 3, JHS taking a poor shot, Malik committing a dumb foul/not staying on the ground, etc. All of these mistakes the other players happen with regularity, as some of Bates poor shots have this season. 

We chose what frustrates us. His mistakes aren't bigger than any of the ones I mentioned, and imo, I'd categorized them as not that big of a deal, at all. Again, that's my opinion. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's not different than TGs inability to stay out of foul trouble/commit continuous unnecessary fouls, TJD's stupid waist level/one hand passes out of the post, Race Thompson getting lost off the ball to give one of the Murrays an open 3, JHS taking a poor shot, Malik committing a dumb foul/not staying on the ground, etc. All of this mistake the other players happen with regularity, as some of Bates poor shots have this season. 

We chose what frustrates us. His mistakes aren't bigger than any of the ones I mentioned, and imo, I'd categorized them as not that big of a deal, at all. Again, that's my opinion. 

I know you’re making a broader point but I love Trey’s game and moxie in so many ways but he’s got to be less hands-on with his D or at least be savvier about it.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Thanks 1