Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

I love Trey’s game and moxie in so many ways but he’s got to be less hands-on with his D or at least be savvier about it.  

Yes, but... to be fair to Trey... if we had XJ, his mins go from 30mpg to more like 24-25mpg, and his foul trouble would be easier to manage then. 

But yes, I agree with you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

This article lists a few more intriguing transfers...

Josh Cohen – St. Francis
6’10
Forward

2022-23 Stats: 22ppg, 9rpg, 3apg, 59% shooting

The 6’10 junior prospect was graded and ranked as one of the top effective prospects in the country, as the St. Francis big man is coming off a season in which he averaged 22.1ppg, shot 59 percent, 8.3rpg, and 2.5apg.  And it is not like he hasn’t performed against some strong competition either; recording two 40-point games vs. Lehigh and Hawaii, 30pts, 9rebs vs. Miami, 18pts, 10rebs vs. Ohio State, and scoring 25 or more points in 10 games. When you watch highlights, he is one that shows good footwork and presence without the ball, a good understanding in the post with his back to the basket as well as footwork, and has a soft touch.

Paxson Wojcik – Brown
6’5
Guard

Coming from South Carolina, Wojcik had his best season at Brown this year in which he averaged nearly 15ppg, but also showed how effective he can be in other areas, averaging 7.2rpg and 3.2 apg. He shows that he can be effective in scoring in a variety of ways, but also averaged 2.1 made 3-pointers a game.

Nicolas Timberlake – Towson
6’4
Guard

The leading scorer at Towson this season, Timberlake had his best season of his long career at Towson. He is coming off a year in which he averaged 17.7ppg, 3.9rpg, and 2.4apg, while shooting 41.6 percent from 3 (2.8 made threes per game), and shooting 45 percent overall.  Each year, Timberlake made strides and increased his number, and certainly has plenty of experience under his belt with 90 starts and 122 total games. Does a nice job in getting to his spots for his shot, and has a little bounce to his game.

Evan Taylor – Lehigh
6’6
Guard

Taylor is a big guard that can produce in a variety of ways when you watch his game. At his size (6’6), Taylor shows his ability to be a threat from multiple levels, rising up from behind the arc and shooting 42.5 percent from three, but also his ability to get to the basket and score over defenders. He also has always been productive on the glass, averaging 5.6 rebounds throughout his four-year career at Lehigh. He has started 88 games, and played in over 100 of them.

Nate Calmese – Lamar
6’2
Guard

Only a freshman, Calmese proved to be one of the top-scoring freshmen in the country.  He is coming off a season in which he averaged 17.6ppg, and started all 31 games.  He shot 48 percent from the floor, 36 percent from three, and showed his ability to be a scoring threat with the ball in his hands.  It is something he did in high school as well; after missing his junior season, he averaged nearly 32ppg as a senior.  He should have plenty of suitors.

Bringing the info…as usual. Much appreciated as always.  

I don’t know what some of the “back office” staff does, Armond Hill, Isaac Green, Adam Howard, Steve Surface…but you can bet they’ve had manpower on potential transfers year round.  I am sure we have guys full time on assembling a plan.  I could see us having 3-4 spots for transfers easily.   Putting the pieces together will truly be fascinating.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Bringing the info…as usual. Much appreciated as always.  

I don’t know what some of the “back office” staff does, Armond Hill, Isaac Green, Adam Howard, Steve Surface…but you can bet they’ve had manpower on potential transfers year round.  I am sure we have guys full time on assembling a plan.  I could see us having 3-4 spots for transfers easily.   Putting the pieces together will truly be fascinating.

And Hulls.

Idk who identified Kopp, XJ but they were great portal additions. I expect more of the same. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, rico said:

Thanks Rico.  This kid is truly interesting because we will need go to guys to get buckets.  Without Trayce and presumably Jalen we will need guys that can put it through the hoop.  

This kid is creating a frenzy with Kentucky and UCLA and a host of teams on him. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Thanks Rico.  This kid is truly interesting because we will need go to guys to get buckets.  Without Trayce and presumably Jalen we will need guys that can put it through the hoop.  

This kid is creating a frenzy with Kentucky and UCLA and a host of teams on him. 

I think he and the Fardaws (big man from Texas Tech) are my two highest wants right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I have to assume this is what Woody was hoping he was getting when he brought in Durr.

Or maybe one of the assistants said, "Who do we want to go after? The kid from South Florida, or the kid from Utah Valley?"

And Woody said, "Durr." :D 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I know you’re making a broader point but I love Trey’s game and moxie in so many ways but he’s got to be less hands-on with his D or at least be savvier about it.  

Besides Michigan game, I am trying to remember a trend of Trey being in consistent foul trouble. Maybe an oversight on my part, but it doesn't register as a persistent issue.

Poor Malik (who I really like) on the other hand? 🤦‍♂️

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

It wasn’t too long ago that one of the major topics of conversation was apathy in the fan base. I’d much rather have 400 pages of blather about potential additions than to have crickets on here 

Not my point AT ALL. There will be 400 pages of players to choose from.

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Fardaws Aimaq

6-11, 245lb

Averages 12 ppg and 8 boards for Texas Tech (and you knew there were going to be some transfers from there)

Only played 11 games there. Wonder why. Started 9. Guessing a bad injury or the Racist coach didnt like him.