Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Iufla shows guys who made historic leaps, not really fair.  What you showed is progress.  I am not disputing progress.  What that also shows me is our need for a dude that can attack.   .8 free throws a game for a guy that shoots 92% from the line.  Come on, get downhill, to the bucket and initiate contact.  

I know what Gunn was this year, maybe he doesn't leap Bates but the ceiling is still higher over the long run.  

Those kinds of leaps happen to a lot of kids every year... It's simply a product of mental and physical maturity, and opportunity... 

This year alone look at early career numbers of Boo Buie, Kobe Brown, Bryce Hopkins, Wade Taylor, Colby Jones, compared to their first season or 2...

It's not a rarity...

It's development... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Those kinds of leaps happen to a lot of kids every year... It's simply a product of mental and physical maturity, and opportunity... 

This year alone look at early career numbers of Boo Buie, Kobe Brown, Bryce Hopkins, Wade Taylor, Colby Jones, compared to their first season or 2...

It's not a rarity...

It's development... 

Buie has avg 10, 10 14, 17.  Progress as expected.   Brown 6, 8 12, 15.  Progress.  Hopkins, lost in the sea of talent, transfers to be the man.  Jones, 8, 12, 15.  Progress.  

You cherry picked 2 guys that became 1st rounders.

I acknowledged progress.   Do you see Bates or Galloway avg around 15-17 next year?

31 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Not to mention that our offensive "philosophy" will be very different next year (i.e. it won't all flow through TJD). Woody spoke of guys "playing their roles" a lot when asked about specific players this year. Player's roles will change next year in addition to their development. 

System philosophy is a big part of the needs discussion. CMW runs a pro type system as I understand it. You don’t just get long athletic players and roll the ball out! I doubt there will be any immediate impact players as they will need to learn the system.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I do believe we are still playing this season not next? Looking at the scholarship grid 23-24 will be his junior year.

Just now, HoosierDom said:

This is his third year playing college basketball. Hard to call that something other than his junior year.

he has an extra year (covid year) of eligibility if he chooses. I think his class is the last class for this.

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

Iufla shows guys who made historic leaps, not really fair.  What you showed is progress.  I am not disputing progress.  What that also shows me is our need for a dude that can attack.   .8 free throws a game for a guy that shoots 92% from the line.  Come on, get downhill, to the bucket and initiate contact.  

I know what Gunn was this year, maybe he doesn't leap Bates but the ceiling is still higher over the long run.  

Well.. he isn't going to get mins based on his ceiling, thankfully. 

More of an open post will help all of our guards get to the FT line, more. XJ+Cupps are better to quite a bit better passers that JHS is... that will matter as well. Malik, as a FR/SO is absolutely a better passer than TJD... I pray to god whoever we get as our 4 is a better passer than Race....

23 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Buie has avg 10, 10 14, 17.  Progress as expected.   Brown 6, 8 12, 15.  Progress.  Hopkins, lost in the sea of talent, transfers to be the man.  Jones, 8, 12, 15.  Progress.  

I acknowledged progress.   Do you see Bates or Galloway avg around 15-17 next year?

I see Bates and TG both avg 10p. XJ 12-13. Malik 11-13..... find a 4 that fits and boom. Lots of balance. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

More of an open post will help all of our guards get to the FT line, more. XJ+Cupps are better to quite a bit better passers that JHS is... that will matter as well. Malik, as a FR/SO is absolutely a better passer than TJD... I pray to god whoever we get as our 4 is a better passer than Race....

I don't see Malik being a better passer than TJD is this year, maybe when TJD was a freshman.

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I just know we need some wing scoring.  If the 4 is a wing then OK 

I don't know if I should laugh or cry. We are all going to have nightmares of race shooting free throws and passing the ball in late game situations for months to come.  

41 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Would it be valuable to start a second transfer portal thread?  We could have this one for all portal news and maybe one dedicated to guys in the portal we have been confirmed to have reached out to.  

Hell, just pick any thread already out there, maybe one from back in 2018, and start talking about the portal.  Most wont even notice, and those that do will still join in the conversation.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I was simply outlining what can happen. The 3 I cited had to have their opportunity, particularly Kris Murray. 

I'd say Bates is more likely to over Galloway, but who knows.

We have 60% of our FGAs leaving next year... Someone is going to get those shots. 

As I've said before, I think Tamar is going to be a big part of what we do next year... 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I see Bates and TG both avg 10p. XJ 12-13. Malik 11-13..... find a 4 that fits and boom. Lots of balance. 

We'd all love to see X of the last 10 games of last year when he went on a tear averaging 16.6 and 6.8 ast a game.  Man he was locked in.  

I take back what I said earlier,  looks like he was avg around 32-33 mins a game during that rip.  

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was simply outlining what can happen. The 3 I cited had to have their opportunity, particularly Kris Murray. 

I'd say Bates is more likely to over Galloway, but who knows.

We have 60% of our FGAs leaving next year... Someone is going to get those shots. 

As I've said before, I think Tamar is going to be a big part of what we do next year... 

I hope and with reasonable progress along with the opportunity both could see a 3-4 point jump in pts/game.  That's a far cry from a guy that can go get buckets though.  The bright side is X can get to the rim and draw fouls with the best of them, so lo.g as he plays smart.  Malik is a baby hook waiting to happen.  

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

We'd all love to see X of the last 10 games of last year when he went on a tear averaging 16.6 and 6.8 ast a game.  Man he was locked in.  

I take back what I said earlier,  looks like he was avg around 32-33 mins a game during that rip.  

XJ as a 24yr old 6th year SR next year is going to have a LOT of experience.... 13p 5a 4r career avgs is pretty good, man. 

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

I like it a lot.  I would have liked him 100% healthy this year but it's a solid foundation for next year.  

I think it's wing by committee next year.... but, if you get the right 4 man, those two will be your 4th and 5th best starters, and will be fine in those roles. 

Also... as well coached as we are, I'm just not that worried about man. 

18 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

The NCAA needs to tighten up how the portal works. For one, the timeframe/windows for declaring should not be so long. I believe Justin Smith entered the portal in the mid-May window when he left. Hard to put a team together when you have no idea who's staying and who's going in May.

Not really. A guy jumps in the portal, he is voluntarily giving up his scholarship, and Woody could give it to someone else that afternoon. 

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Would it be valuable to start a second transfer portal thread?  We could have this one for all portal news and maybe one dedicated to guys in the portal we have been confirmed to have reached out to.  

Yes. I think we can just have a thread that is a collection of additions to the portal... then a seperate thread to discuss? Idk.