Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

If he can't get in the lane for us, he isn't playable, imo. 

But-- XJ 32-34mpg, TG 25-28mpg, Bates 22-28mpg (at least), Cupps 15mpg.... You see where I'm going with this.... if Gunn or Newton can play next year, there isn't really mins 1-3...plus you have Banks. 

It's this time of year that I always ask the question, how good do we want to be?  The coach has said he doesn't have a lot of time to wait around to win a championship.   The athletic director has said the goal is to win championships.  

With that said, I'm OK bringing in a guy that is start now quality.   My word, Bates scored 15 points the entire month of February.  In 12 true road games he scored 28 points.   Him next to Galloway, another guy that is not a go to scorer.  

Is it guards by committee led by X and call it good enough, maybe a fringe top 25 team?  Or get a stud and make another push for fringe top 10 when healthy?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

It's this time of year that I always ask the question, how good do we want to be?  The coach has said he doesn't have a lot of time to wait around to win a championship.   The athletic director has said the goal is to win championships.  

With that said, I'm OK bringing in a guy that is start now quality.   My word, Bates scored 15 points the entire month of February.  In 12 true road games he scored 28 points.   Him next to Galloway, another guy that is not a go to scorer.  

Is it guards by committee led by X and call it good enough, maybe a fringe top 25 team?  Or get a stud and make another push for fringe top 10 when healthy?

I don't think you can put a ceiling on how good a team can be 11-12 months in advance. And yeah, in Year 3... if we are a Top 4/5/6 seed, after losing an all time great, and the best one and done we've had since EG, then no... that doesn't bother me at all. 

The stud needs to be at the 4 position. The wings and guards are fine next season. Develop Malik, find a rim protector big. TG/TB make strides. XJ/Cupps/TB/TG/Leal/Gunn/Newton/Banks... and you want to add another wing? Malik/Logan/JG.. that is our 11 scholarships right now for next season. I just don't see where one is needed. 

58 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Pass.  I don't want to have to type all of that out in game threads.  

I would take him.  And learn how to spell his name.  lol

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-basketball-Fabulous-freshmen-point-guards-making-mark-through-one-month-of-2022-23-season-199637528/#199637528_1

Edited by rico
  • Haha 2

Just now, btownqb said:

I don't think you can put a ceiling on how good a team can be 11-12 months in advance. And yeah, in Year 3... if we are a Top 4/5/6 seed, after losing an all time great, and the best one and done we've had since EG, then no... that doesn't bother me at all. 

The stud needs to be at the 4 position. The wings and guards are fine next season. Develop Malik, find a rim protector big. TG/TB make strides. XJ/Cupps/TB/TG/Leal/Gunn/Newton/Banks... and you want to add another wing? Malik/Logan/JG.. that is our 11 scholarships right now for next season. I just don't see where one is needed. 

Definitely losing Race, Trayce, Kopp, and extremely likely JHS. I'm with you, it's like losing 2.5 bigs.  But Malik will be ready for 30 minutes next year.  I think finding a perfect prototype 4 is very difficult.   I'm hoping Banks develops into that.  

If the rumors where true that 2-3 top 15ish guys in the country were interested in IU but CMW decided to stick with his guys, then we will have some studs interested. It's also been said that IU will have no problems in the NIL game.  

I don't really want to go into the next season with questions like who is going to be a reliable scoring option from the wing?  Will Logan Duncomb ever play more than Anthony Leal?  And is Jordan Geronimo truly a B1G player?  

And iirc we figured out that peak X plays around 28 mins.  He plays so hard when he does play, he needs a few more breathers.  

I'm in favor of a reload, via portal.  

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Definitely losing Race, Trayce, Kopp, and extremely likely JHS. I'm with you, it's like losing 2.5 bigs.  But Malik will be ready for 30 minutes next year.  I think finding a perfect prototype 4 is very difficult.   I'm hoping Banks develops into that.  

If the rumors where true that 2-3 top 15ish guys in the country were interested in IU but CMW decided to stick with his guys, then we will have some studs interested. It's also been said that IU will have no problems in the NIL game.  

I don't really want to go into the next season with questions like who is going to be a reliable scoring option from the wing?  Will Logan Duncomb ever play more than Anthony Leal?  And is Jordan Geronimo truly a B1G player?  

And iirc we figured out that peak X plays around 28 mins.  He plays so hard when he does play, he needs a few more breathers.  

I'm in favor of a reload, via portal.  

So am I. 

But, I just don't see any need for a wing. I see a need for our staff and dudes to develop. I don't think we will find the "perfect 4"... that is why I have zero issue with playing a 6'6 dude there (ala the Harvard kid) because his skill set at that spot is EXACTLY what we need. Although, yes, I'd prefer he was 2in taller... sure. 

I'm not going to speculate on who's leaving... I can adjust my "wants and needs" according to who leaves when/if that happens. Just looking at the roster now... those last 2 schollies (if that is all we end up with)... need to be used on bigs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So am I. 

But, I just don't see any need for a wing. I see a need for our staff and dudes to develop. I don't think we will find the "perfect 4"... that is why I have zero issue with playing a 6'6 dude there (ala the Harvard kid) because his skill set at that spot is EXACTLY what we need. Although, yes, I'd prefer he was 2in taller... sure. 

I'm not going to speculate on who's leaving... I can adjust my "wants and needs" according to who leaves when/if that happens. Just looking at the roster now... those last 2 schollies (if that is all we end up with)... need to be used on bigs. 

To me if we can upgrade over Galloway I am all for it because to me he should be a rotation player coming off the bench. If that is Bates fine but if not we need a better starters at the 2 and 3 than what have had this year.

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Develop them

I think they will develop but to reach the teams highest potential for next year, it is to go get a guy.  Galloway can go back to being full throttle all the time.  We won't have to watch Bates force shots he can't hit.  

Just for next year.  Then they year after, they are seniors and can lead and hopefully dominate. 

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Develop them

Exactly...

Johnny Davis 7 ppg as a freshman, 20 ppg as a sophomore

Keegan Murray 7 ppg as a freshman, 20 ppg as a sophomore

Kris Murray 9 ppg as a sophomore 20 ppg as a junior 

We have to remember that these kids are still developing mentally as well as physically... And sometimes opportunity is all they need...

I think we'll see major strides over the summer from a few of our kids...

I do think that lack of development led to CAM's demise, but we've got the right coach and staff to make big gains...

I'm with @btownqb... Develop the kids you have... 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I think they will develop but to reach the teams highest potential for next year, it is to go get a guy.  Galloway can go back to being full throttle all the time.  We won't have to watch Bates force shots he can't hit.  

Just for next year.  Then they year after, they are seniors and can lead and hopefully dominate. 

Don't see adding a wing as a viable option at all with the way the roster is. Stretch 4, rim protector 5. 

Edited by btownqb

Just now, IUFLA said:

Exactly...

We have to remember that these kids are still developing mentally as well as physically... And sometimes opportunity is all they need...

I do think that lack of development led to CAM's demise, but we've got the right coach and staff to make big gains...

Gunn has the highest ceiling of any of the guys projected to be ready to play next year, as the roster is currently understood.   We were told Bates is a dog, he's focused and working all summer, going to take a huge leap.  Nope.  Galloway has steadily improved the entire time he's been here and his shooting has leaped.  Gunn has a stroke and athleticism.   Clearly has to get much stronger but I see him snatching some minutes next year, especially if Tamar continues his torrid scoring.  Bates will stay in the rotation because he has figured out the defensive end of thi gs and has become a reliable 2nd or 3rd hand in the backcourt.  I just don't want to rely on him and Galloway to get buckets.  It's just not their strong suit.  

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

Gunn has the highest ceiling of any of the guys projected to be ready to play next year, as the roster is currently understood.   We were told Bates is a dog, he's focused and working all summer, going to take a huge leap.  Nope.  Galloway has steadily improved the entire time he's been here and his shooting has leaped.  Gunn has a stroke and athleticism.   Clearly has to get much stronger but I see him snatching some minutes next year, especially if Tamar continues his torrid scoring.  Bates will stay in the rotation because he has figured out the defensive end of thi gs and has become a reliable 2nd or 3rd hand in the backcourt.  I just don't want to rely on him and Galloway to get buckets.  It's just not their strong suit.  

But he has... shown below.. 

Gunn does not have a stroke. Gunn throws up bricks. He also can't dribble left handed or play without fouling. He has been JUST as lost this season as Bates was as a FR, and doesn't have half the shooting capabilities. 

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Don't see adding a wing as a viable option at all with the way the roster is. Stretch 4, rim protector 5. 

I don't speculate.  No one thought Armaan would peace out.  That was just weird and is still a head scratcher.  

I just don't think any team reaches its full potential with Bates and Galloway on the floor together for a majority of a game.  Unless this 4 guy we find can score 20 a game, alongside Malik and X, there's a big 3 potentially.   

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Exactly...

Great post! I don't think some of us realize how much time it takes for some kids to develop into a productive and extremely valuable player sometimes. We often get caught up in the "a player needs to make an impact right away or they won't be any good to us" mentality. 

• Like 1

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

I don't speculate.  No one thought Armaan would peace out.  That was just weird and is still a head scratcher.  

I just don't think any team reaches its full potential with Bates and Galloway on the floor together for a majority of a game.  Unless this 4 guy we find can score 20 a game, alongside Malik and X, there's a big 3 potentially.   

Or... Cupps is good enough to start, XJ, Bates or TG, transfer 4... Malik... with TG/Bates, Banks, transfer 5 as our bench. 

I don't understand the "won't reach it's full potential" part. Or how we would know that now. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But he has... shown below.. 

Gunn does not have a stroke. Gunn throws up bricks. He also can't dribble left handed or play without fouling. He has been JUST as lost this season as Bates was as a FR, and doesn't have half the shooting capabilities. 

Capture.PNG

Iufla shows guys who made historic leaps, not really fair.  What you showed is progress.  I am not disputing progress.  What that also shows me is our need for a dude that can attack.   .8 free throws a game for a guy that shoots 92% from the line.  Come on, get downhill, to the bucket and initiate contact.  

I know what Gunn was this year, maybe he doesn't leap Bates but the ceiling is still higher over the long run.  

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Exactly...

Not to mention that our offensive "philosophy" will be very different next year (i.e. it won't all flow through TJD). Woody spoke of guys "playing their roles" a lot when asked about specific players this year. Player's roles will change next year in addition to their development. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Or... Cupps is good enough to start, XJ, Bates or TG, transfer 4... Malik... with TG/Bates, Banks, transfer 5 as our bench. 

I don't understand the "won't reach it's full potential" part. Or how we would know that now. 

I want a top 10 team, so does everyone in the program.   A team that contends.  Not a in and out of the top 25-30 stuck in the middle of the B1G, one game out of 12th place.  

I could only dream that Cupps is good enough to start over Galloway and or Bates from day one.  How likely do you think that is?  I'm guessing he's more around a 5-10 mins a game guy his frosh year.  And Im high on him.  

Gabe Cupps brings a lot to the table that this team needs at PG.

Ball handling beyond X and JHS was adequate at best this season and we don't know for certain if either will be on the team next season. Then you look at how IU struggled with the press at times and it's clear they need help.

X's injury forced Trey and Tamar to play point and that impacted both. While they may benefit from it in the long run they are playing out of position and it shows. The biggest impact seems to be on Trey who continues to play hard but isn't the same defensive presence he was the past two seasons. Likely because he has more responsibility on offense. 

Cupps can be a true PG and get the team into an offensive set while securing the ball. In addition, one site has him shooting 38% from three and 91% on FTs. I see that as a late game plus for any team.

The real question is can he defend? First thought is his size may hold him back. Inside The Hall had him at 6'2 170. That puts him in the Jordan Hulls range when he arrived in Bloomington. My guess is he's quicker and more athletic than Hulls. With some time at IU before next season he can be closer to 175 lbs. I'm also banking on the idea he is smart and can find a way to compete on defense.

This is not only a good add for IU. It's a necessary add.

48 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Great post! I don't think some of us realize how much time it takes for some kids to develop into a productive and extremely valuable player sometimes. We often get caught up in the "a player needs to make an impact right away or they won't be any good to us" mentality. 

Guys who made historic, Oladipo like leaps.  Not realistic and sets us all up for disappointment.   Steady progress is being made, I give Bates and Galloway that.  I'm not knocking them, I just want them being like the 5-8 option, not relying on them to get buckets.  I'm also not resigning the season to middle of the pack, not contending.  I'm guessing those in the program won't either.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1