Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

The NCAA needs to tighten up how the portal works. For one, the timeframe/windows for declaring should not be so long. I believe Justin Smith entered the portal in the mid-May window when he left. Hard to put a team together when you have no idea who's staying and who's going in May.

Edited by Euroclydon
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

If I had my picks Fardaws Aimaq or Eddie Lampkin would be one. I think a pickup of Josh Cohen would be cool. That would give us immediate size up front. Jameer Nelson Jr while small can fill it up and I think can translate to this level. Now if only we could figure out an athletic forward. 

I could see us not taking anyone in the portal shorter than 6'6. 🤷‍♀️.... I am not convinced we need a wing, and I really don't think we need a ball dominate guy, if XJ returns. 

Fardaws is near the top of my list, for sure. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Do Schools have a coach or GA assigned to portal evaluation & scouting?

With what you guys have to offer any big man…they should be lining up 

And you're right, honestly. Purdue as well. I think both schools/coaching staff do great things with their bigs. 

I would certainly assume the director of recruiting has their hand in overseeing the transfer portal. It's too big of a commodity to assign to a GA, imo. 

Just now, btownqb said:

And you're right, honestly. Purdue as well. I think both schools/coaching staff do great things with their bigs. 

I would certainly assume the director of recruiting has their hand in overseeing the transfer portal. It's too big of a commodity to assign to a GA, imo. 

Pretty sure I read on another site that Hulls and Adam Howard are kind of at the top of searching the portal and then bring a shortened list of names to the assistants and they get passed up the chain that way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beamerball said:

Pretty sure I read on another site that Hulls and Adam Howard are kind of at the top of searching the portal and then bring a shortened list of names to the assistants and they get passed up the chain that way.

Makes sense to me. 

Is your username in reference to Frank Beamer? 

Edited by btownqb

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I could see us not taking anyone in the portal shorter than 6'6. 🤷‍♀️.... I am not convinced we need a wing, and

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I could see us not taking anyone in the portal shorter than 6'6. 🤷‍♀️.... I am not convinced we need a wing, and I really don't think we need a ball dominate guy, if XJ returns. 

Fardaws is near the top of my list, for sure. 

I do think Gunn will be ready to play.  Bates and Galloway will be in a more natural position alongside XJ.   I wouldn't mind one more guy that can blow by dribble penetrate though.  I know X would have been that guy this year and is what this team is severely missing but it would help Bates and Galloway a bunch having another guy that can get in the lane and then kick out, or even take it to the rim.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I do think Gunn will be ready to play.  Bates and Galloway will be in a more natural position alongside XJ.   I wouldn't mind one more guy that can blow by dribble penetrate though.  I know X would have been that guy this year and is what this team is severely missing but it would help Bates and Galloway a bunch having another guy that can get in the lane and then kick out, or even take it to the rim.  

Cupps? ... my comment was with the caveat that Cupps plays 15-18mpg, at least. 

Edited by btownqb

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Cupps? ... my comment was with the caveat that Cupps plays 15-18mpg, at least. 

Is he a blow by guy at this level?  I'm optimistic about him, geez if he can be the Ohio player of the year as a junior.  He seems to be a real good at everything guy.  I'm not sure I'd put him in the blow by category but he's likely savy enough with shot fakes and his threat to shoot to get into the lane.  

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Is he a blow by guy at this level?  I'm optimistic about him, geez if he can be the Ohio player of the year as a junior.  He seems to be a real good at everything guy.  I'm not sure I'd put him in the blow by category but he's likely savy enough with shot fakes and his threat to shoot to get into the lane.  

If he can't get in the lane for us, he isn't playable, imo. 

But-- XJ 32-34mpg, TG 25-28mpg, Bates 22-28mpg (at least), Cupps 15mpg.... You see where I'm going with this.... if Gunn or Newton can play next year, there isn't really mins 1-3...plus you have Banks. 

Edited by btownqb

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Maybe he will go to another school.Already have one unplayable player.

Mike, I know you're negative. I get it. 

But, to be clear... you want the soon to be Mr. Basketball in Ohio to not attend Indiana? 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If he can't get in the lane for us, he isn't playable, imo. 

But-- XJ 32-34mpg, TG 25-28mpg, Bates 22-28mpg (at least), Cupps 15mpg.... You see where I'm going with this.... if Gunn or Newton can play next year, there isn't really mins 1-3...plus you have Banks. 

This is where I'm at as well. We need two post players, and a wing/stretch 4 that can shoot based on graduation losses. If we have transfers, tall wings that can shoot would be a major preference. One of the posts needs to have at least a respectable outside shot. We need to end the days of having two post players in the game with zero threat of shooting outside.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosierinbham said:

This is where I'm at as well. We need two post players, and a wing/stretch 4 that can shoot based on graduation losses. If we have transfers, tall wings that can shoot would be a major preference. One of the posts needs to have at least a respectable outside shot. We need to end the days of having two post players in the game with zero threat of shooting outside.

That's how I see it. I certainly don't see us adding a point guard. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1