TG

Bates

Stretch 4

Malik

Cupps

Banks

JG

5 man, rim protector, 6'10+ 

That would be close to my ideal rotation. Also... XJ is going to bully Cupps in practice often, that'll be a good thing for Gabe. 

I would like to see CJ Gunn get some run next season. From all indications, he can shoot.  Provide some backup minutes to TG and Bates.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I would like to see CJ Gunn get some run next season. From all indications, he can shoot.  Provide some backup minutes to TG and Bates.

I don't think he is a very good shooter, but that is just my opinion... and would need to show pretty significant improvement, imo, to play decent mins next season. I don't think that is impossible, though. Not trying to be argumentative, I just don't have a high opinion of his game after watching him this season and in HS. 

imo... Cupps slides to the one and we rest our wings that way/with Banks in my lineup. 

I would like CJ Gunn have the ability to push for mins. 

• Like 1

We are in a bit of a tough spot at 2/3, because at this point I don't think you can count on Bates, Gunn, or Newton the production you are going to need, but if you recruit over them from the portal by signing two more 2/3s you could risk losing a Gunn type who could be a nice piece in years 3 and 4. Will be interesting to see how Woody balances that.

12 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

We are in a bit of a tough spot at 2/3, because at this point I don't think you can count on Bates, Gunn, or Newton the production you are going to need, but if you recruit over them from the portal by signing two more 2/3s you could risk losing a Gunn type who could be a nice piece in years 3 and 4. Will be interesting to see how Woody balances that.

Great points. 

I am fine with Bates though, I understand why others aren't, but good coaching should have Bates as a guy that can be more consistent/start next year... And one of TG/XJ is going to play a fair amount of the 2. 

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Great points. 

I am fine with Bates though, I understand why others aren't, but good coaching should have Bates as a guy that can be more consistent/start next year... And one of TG/XJ is going to play a fair amount of the 2. 

Bates has a world of potential, but at this point you kind of have to assume he is what he is until he proves otherwise. I hope he can take a big step forward next year, but am not so confident that I'd want to put all my eggs in that basket. Definitely a tough situation.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Bates has a world of potential, but at this point you kind of have to assume he is what he is until he proves otherwise. I hope he can take a big step forward next year, but am not so confident that I'd want to put all my eggs in that basket. Definitely a tough situation.

He took a pretty sizable jump from Year 1 to 2. I expect more of the same! 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He took a pretty sizable jump from Year 1 to 2. I expect more of the same! 

I think he can get better for sure, but outside of a handful of games, he's been pretty bad. He's had 8 games with 0 points and all but one during Big Ten play. He's gotta really step it up to be counted on. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

He still has a high ceiling, but lacks consistency.  Hope he puts in the work to realize his potential. With his length, he can be a great 3 and D guy on the wing.

12 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I think he can get better for sure, but outside of a handful of games, he's been pretty bad. He's had 8 games with 0 points and all but one during Big Ten play. He's gotta really step it up to be counted on. 

Imo.. its just natural progression. And some focus. 

But..  there have been times, and rightfully so..  where he was playing well/really well and was pulled with 6-8 mins to go, in favor of getting TG/JHS/MK back in the game... that isn't going to happen next year. 

So that's fine, he does need to be more consistent, but the 8 games with 0 points doesn't tell the whole story.  Some of those games we won easily anyways, I believe.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

XJ

TG

Bates

Stretch 4

Malik

Cupps

Banks

JG

5 man, rim protector, 6'10+ 

That would be close to my ideal rotation. Also... XJ is going to bully Cupps in practice often, that'll be a good thing for Gabe. 

Might be sleeping on Newton, who’s also coming in with Cupps.

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You'd have him where? Just curious 

Don’t know where he’d be in the rotation,  being Freshman , but guard with good size and ability to score . Saw a game where he had just recently come off an injury and he looked like he can score inside and out. But hey, I’m no talent scout, lol.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WRSMick55 said:

Don’t know where he’d be in the rotation,  being Freshman , but guard with good size and ability to score . Saw a game where he had just recently come off an injury and he looked like he can score inside and out. But hey, I’m no talent scout, lol.

He could easily be #10. That spot would for sure be a wing of some sorts. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Imo.. its just natural progression. And some focus. 

But..  there have been times, and rightfully so..  where he was playing well/really well and was pulled with 6-8 mins to go, in favor of getting TG/JHS/MK back in the game... that isn't going to happen next year. 

So that's fine, he does need to be more consistent, but the 8 games with 0 points doesn't tell the whole story.  Some of those games we won easily anyways, I believe.  

I think there absolutely is a mental element that is in play, and it's this one: Tamar knows TJD and JHS are playing.

I fully believe that Bates has the talent and ability to score the basketball at this level. Yes he hasn't been consistent, but he hasn't really needed to be. We've managed to win despite his lackluster offensive contributions. Because of TJD & JHS's effectiveness at scoring (and because we run so much of our offense through them) there isn't the urgency and imperativeness for Bates to score. If he does, it's almost like a bonus, rather than an expectation.

With those two gone next season, it's very reasonable that his own expectations rise -- and with it his production. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, WRSMick55 said:

Might be sleeping on Newton, who’s also coming in with Cupps.

Just to put things in perspective, Newton and Cupps are coming in higher ranked than Purdue’s stellar freshman backcourt. Of course they won’t have the luxury of Edy to cover and take the pressure off them. Just saying we shouldn’t expect them to not contribute!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I'm in the CJ Gunn fan club. This year he just ran into minutes by others and I fully expect him to make a big jump next year. I saw him put up 30+ routinely against as tough as competition the state has to offer. I could see a jump like what his old comrade Tony Perkins did.

Hit the weights and if nobody else wants to step up maybe he will. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm in the CJ Gunn fan club. This year he just ran into minutes by others and I fully expect him to make a big jump next year. I saw him put up 30+ routinely against as tough as competition the state has to offer. I could see a jump like what his old comrade Tony Perkins did.

Hit the weights and if nobody else wants to step up maybe he will. 

I also like Gunn, but he’s going to have to be a first in, last out guy all off season if he hopes to get involved. He showed flashes at times, but not enough yet, in terms of me buying his stock for next season. I hope he does though! He’s long and athletic enough to be a nice piece! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danomatic said:

So Jimmy B will not return to Syracuse. Admittedly, I do not know much of what they’d have in terms of players to snatch up. They finished 9th in a poor ACC this season. 

They have Justin Taylor who IU recruited quite hard, I believe.  He's 6'6"...200lbs...and played about 17 minutes per game.  He did not see the floor today against Wake Forest.  Averaged about 4 pts...shot just under 40% from three.  He was a 4*, I believe.  

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Don't dislike Gunn. Just always thought he was a JR/SR guy. As mentioned, lots of upside. 

Very well could be a Jr/Sr guy too which I would welcome. Means we've competition for minutes. Bates and Geronimo could be great Jr/Sr guys....that's up to them. If not a kid like Gunn or a portal transfer will sneak in and grab the minutes.

50 minutes ago, Indykev said:

this tread will be 400 pages before we fill up our team.

32 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

At least we’re active, Kev! 

It wasn’t too long ago that one of the major topics of conversation was apathy in the fan base. I’d much rather have 400 pages of blather about potential additions than to have crickets on here 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1