Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

13 hours ago, IUProfessor said:

Just to follow up on this, I just went back and looked, and only one team in the B1G consistently started someone 6'6" at the 4 -- Penn State. The majority of teams, especially in the top half of the standings, were consistently rolling out starting 4s in the 6'8"-6'9" range.

This does not help the argument though. The B1G plays archaic basketball. If Seth Lundy was our starting 4 man.... we would be a Top 10 team in the country, regardless of XJs injury, and honestly... probably even better than that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Not if he can't shoot. Then we end up with Archie's offenses. 

Jeff didn't take many his career but he was around 30% from 3 in his senior year (shot under 40 of them though).

I was more talking about his size though.  I think you want a guy who is 6'8" or above at the four.

23 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Jeff didn't take many his career but he was around 30% from 3 in his senior year (shot under 40 of them though).

I was more talking about his size though.  I think you want a guy who is 6'8" or above at the four.

He had very little perimeter skill. I don't just mean his shooting. I just can't agree with having to have a 6'8 guy there. 

So, you wouldn't take Seth Lundy as our 4 man? 

TJD, Lundy, Kopp, JHS, and TG is a SQUAD!!!! 

What 4s in the B1G would take advantage of an undersized 4, enough to win the game? I have a hard time seeing any of them just taking a game over solely because of a size advantage. They aren't skilled enough in the post to best us that way and it's not efficient offense, anyway. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

What 4s in the B1G would take advantage of an undersized 4, enough to win the game? I have a hard time seeing any of them just taking a game over solely because of a size advantage. They aren't skilled enough in the post to best us that way and it's not efficient offense, anyway. 

Is Wahl the best low post scorer at the 4?

Mag showed some ability until he got hurt.

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That’s quite the list of schools. Seems like there will be quite a bit of competition, but I’d say IU has a much better pitch this year vs last year with the minutes available.

Have you seen him play? My question with low/mid major players is always on the defensive end, but he actually has very good steal/block stats. Those can be misleading, so was just curious what his defensive reputation is. On the offensive end he seems legit, especially with how high his usage rate has been.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kdug said:

That’s quite the list of schools. Seems like there will be quite a bit of competition, but I’d say IU has a much better pitch this year vs last year with the minutes available.

Have you seen him play? My question with low/mid major players is always on the defensive end, but he actually has very good steal/block stats. Those can be misleading, so was just curious what his defensive reputation is. On the offensive end he seems legit, especially with how high his usage rate has been.

Never watched a minute of him. 

2 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Is Wahl the best low post scorer at the 4?

Mag showed some ability until he got hurt.

I'd probably still say it's Murray. This is all hypothetical .... but Wahl trying to score on Lundy in the post, while our guards dig in/we have TJD on the backside... is NOT how you'd regularly beat us. And then UW couldn't double TJD at all on the other end, so... good luck with that. 

This is all our women's team did. 4 shooters, around one elite post player. 

30 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He had very little perimeter skill. I don't just mean his shooting. I just can't agree with having to have a 6'8 guy there. 

So, you wouldn't take Seth Lundy as our 4 man? 

TJD, Lundy, Kopp, JHS, and TG is a SQUAD!!!! 

I haven't watched enough Penn State to have an opinion on Lundy.  I see him listed as a 2/3 though as opposed to a 3/4.  You can get away with having a well built 6'6" guy at the PF position if he is solidly built and is a long distance shot maker (and Lundy fits that).  The problem you usually see with guys in that spot though is that they are true tweeners like JG.   Doesn't have the handles to be a 3 but doesn't have the true size to be a banger either. 

Edit to add:  Your lineup has TJD in it as well.  He is going to look good with a whole complement of players.  Is Reneau, Lundy, Kopp, JHS, and TG just as good?  That is a more typical lineup as opposed to having a guy that is an all time Indiana great in the stat book.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I haven't watched enough Penn State to have an opinion on Lundy.  I see him listed as a 2/3 though as opposed to a 3/4.  You can get away with having a well built 6'6" guy at the PF position if he is solidly built and is a long distance shot maker (and Lundy fits that).  The problem you usually see with guys in that spot though is that they are true tweeners like JG.   Doesn't have the handles to be a 3 but doesn't have the true size to be a banger either. 

Edit to add:  Your lineup has TJD in it as well.  He is going to look good with a whole complement of players.  Is Reneau, Lundy, Kopp, JHS, and TG just as good?  That is a more typical lineup as opposed to having a guy that is an all time Indiana great in the stat book.

Who is listing Lundy as a 2/3? He has played their 4 all year. He has 2/3 skills, but in a 4s body and can guard 4s. I don't think JG is a tweener at all. I think might just not be a B1G level basketball player, but he has zero perimeter skill. 

And of course not, but Reneau, Lundy, Kopp, JHS, and TG (especially if you take out TG and insert a healthy XJ) is still a wonderful lineup and when Indiana has been good since 2002, it's had a lineup that has looked a lot like that. Or at least guys with those type of skills. 

I've mentioned, I am a lot more worried about the skill set of guys, compared to the height. I understand the bold, and that is why I want that type of player at the 4. Seth Lundy to Cwat... someone in that range. But the skill level, imo, should come first. 

43 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Not particularly worried about Nebraska, Rutgers, Ohio State etc.  I'm interested in something that helps us against Duke, Arizona, UK, etc.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Can't take the prettiest girl to the dance if you don't ask, 5. 

I'm just imagining some super-excited grad assistant at Marist going to the head coach and saying "There's this kid in the portal from Harvard we should really take a look at.  Probably too low-profile for the Big Schools to think about."

Meanwhile, in the time it takes him to make that comment, the kid has 30 Power 5 schools throw their hat into the ring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not particularly worried about Nebraska, Rutgers, Ohio State etc.  I'm interested in something that helps us against Duke, Arizona, UK, etc.

Why not mention Kansas, Houston, or Baylor? This is the exact why they play. Yeah, AZ a problem man... to me finding a way to "match them" is pointless. Two skilled 7fters? They don't just grow those on trees. 

And, it was mentioned that being 6'6 you couldn't guard any 4s in the B1G... that is what that post was in reference to. 

Just now, btownqb said:

If you guys find a skilled 6'10+ guy that has perimeter skills to play our stretch 4, in the portal, let me know. I highly doubt that type of option is there. Find piece that fit, not just collections of height and talent. 

Not saying 6'10".  Said I wanted 4 scholarship players 6'8" or taller.  We might have only one after the season, and I'm not even sure he (Malik) is that tall.  

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Not saying 6'10".  Said I wanted 4 scholarship players 6'8" or taller.  We might have only one after the season, and I'm not even sure he (Malik) is that tall.  

Dammit 5 lol... I agree we still need that amount of tall dudes.... 

I'm simply, simply mentioning if we start a 6'6 dude, hell even a 6'5 dude (depending on particulars).. I am MORE than fine with it. So, 6'6 transfer, Malik, JG, Logan, and one more. Or... JG/LD move on, yes replaced with bigs. I'm not saying anything you aren't saying. That would only be "3" guys 6'8 or taller, but then you'd have 2 more that play the 4, plus Banks. 

5 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Nate Calmese from Lamar seems like it would be a nice get. Where does he fit? Im Not sure but that would be a future problem 

He doesn't. Someone would transfer if we got him, which doesn't bother me.... but, I don't think we will be in his market, jmo.