Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

46 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Jordan Davis (Johnnie's twin) of Wisconsin in the portal

Davis started 18 games for the Badgers this past season, but was replaced midway through by freshman Connor Essegian of Fort Wayne, Indiana. 

Davis averaged 5.1 points and 3.5 rebounds per game.

He shot 31% from three, and hit 60% of his free throws.

I wonder how they arrive on the projected NIL value on a website?  Seems super hard to pin down, at least for a few years when more data is out there and you can find comps.  Also, is it even all public? You may not know what each guy accumulates from different sources.  It’s not the like NFL cap where everyone’s salary is public. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I wonder how they arrive on the projected NIL value on a website?  Seems super hard to pin down, at least for a few years when more data is out there and you can find comps.  Also, is it even all public? You may not know what each guy accumulates from different sources.  It’s not the like NFL cap where everyone’s salary is public. 

Same.  Is it currently like an asking price? Or what they were making before? Or an estimated value? Oh what college sports has become lol

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

https://www.on3.com/nil/news/about-on3-nil-valuation-per-post-value/

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

I figured you did...Just pointing it out for those that might not have remembered that significant fact...

The "prediction" thing on their transfer portal page is confusing. I had already fallen for that, like Steub, the other day... only reason I knew haha 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The "prediction" thing on their transfer portal page is confusing. I had already fallen for that, like Steub, the other day... only reason I knew haha 

This whole thing kinda gets on my nerves...I want IU to win, always...But there's just so much chaff and not too much wheat...

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

This whole thing kinda gets on my nerves...I want IU to win, always...But there's just so much chaff and not too much wheat...

True.  I’m sure our staff is making a lot of calls and studying various players.  But just because you make a call doesn’t mean the guy is a priority.  Of course every player makes it sound like all the schools are hot after them even though they may just be plan Z.  But it creates wild speculation scenarios.  

Having said that, it sure looks like our staff is working really hard doing their due diligence.   There are so many moving parts with NIL, class balance, player evaluations, assessing fit, and assembling complimentary parts.

For fans, it’s fun to imagine various scenarios and cope with losing in the tourney while others are still playing.

It can be as fun as baseball hot stove or NFL/NBA free agency.  We’ve lost the old way of doing business and we are in a “pro” culture now.   And I’m fine with that working both ways (JG, LD, TB).

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

True.  I’m sure our staff is making a lot of calls and studying various players.  But just because you make a call doesn’t mean the guy is a priority.  Of course every player makes it sound like all the schools are hot after them even though they may just be plan Z.  But it creates wild speculation scenarios.  

Having said that, it sure looks like our staff is working really hard doing their due diligence.   There are so many moving parts with NIL, class balance, player evaluations, assessing fit, and assembling complimentary parts.

For fans, it’s fun to imagine various scenarios and cope with losing in the tourney while others are still playing.

It can be as fun as baseball hot stove or NFL/NBA free agency.  We’ve lost the old way of doing business and we are in a “pro” culture now.   And I’m fine with that working both ways (JG, LD, TB).

Now with NIL, citing interest from many other schools is a wise business/negotiating tactic....

• Like 1