IU vs Penn State Pre-Game B10 Tournament

IUFLA

When: Saturday, March 11th 3:30 pm EST or 25 minutes after game 11 ends

Where: United Center, Chicago, Illinois

TV: CBS

Indiana lost to Penn State 85-66 in Happy Valley on 1/11, the last in our 3 game losing streak...Probably our worst defensive effort beside Iowa at home, all year

Box score

image.png.ad9b3601ec9bc463a359d58c969c0248.png

image.png.3dacaf7368c78108f0641357c1a4a178.png

The Nittany Lions come in winners of 7 of their last 8

image.png.79232bb09b9e3ae8e955d2acda4cb32a.png

The Lions have been starting Wynter, Pickett, Funk, Lundy, and Njie. Clary, Henn, and Myles Dread are their main bench rotation guys. We know we have to stop Pickett. He looked a little tired yesterday in their win versus Northwestern, but he's a threat in all phases of the game. Wynter has come on lately as well. We cannot leave Andrew Funk. Great shooter that can ignite their team. Lundy hit some really tough shots in the Northwestern game, and carried them at the end.

Clary is super fast and drives it well, and has a good mid range game, but is not a real 3 point threat. We know what Dread can do from outside, and surprisingly Henn has a good 3 point game for a big...

BUT, Njie and Henn cannot handle Trayce...No way...They'll help a lot in the post, but I think Trayce, Race, and Malik will have a lot of looks, and should win the board battle. We do need to hit some outside shots to keep them from totally clogging the lane. Make those tired legs close out on the perimeter...

Penn State is 3rd in ORtg and 12th in DRtg...

Let's keep rolling! Go Hoosiers!

• Thanks 5

Did we put JHS or Galloway on Pickett the first game? 

We really have a big size advantage on them. Guard the perimeter and ball screens like the second half last night and we should be in good shape.  And hopefully Race is over whatever mental ailment he had the last 5 mins of last nights game… I rewatched it this morning and I’m almost more worked up about it now. Put the towers in and let them eat. 

Same formula applies = win the turnovers - win rebounds- keep the ball in front of you on D.

If IU can play the pick and roll well on D it will force psu to take tough threes or drive. And they will take a lot of threes one way or the other, so make them tough. Will IU chase over the screen to force the drive or go under and allow the threes? 

Have to believe psu will fatigue at some point. Young or not, three straight days has to have an impact and yesterday they played OT. So making them work hard from the start is big.

Go IU !

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Same formula applies = win the turnovers - win rebounds- keep the ball in front of you on D.

If IU can play the pick and roll well on D it will force psu to take tough threes or drive. And they will take a lot of threes one way or the other, so make them tough. Will IU chase over the screen to force the drive or go under and allow the threes? 

Have to believe psu will fatigue at some point. Young or not, three straight days has to have an impact and yesterday they played OT. So making them work hard from the start is big.

Go IU !

That’s why I wanted PSU, surely they are going to wear down and those threes will be harder to hit. Plus either team from PSU/NW would have been a revenge game. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kdug said:

I wonder who we’ll have on Pickett. I think last game we had Galloway, at least to start. But I wonder if Race might do well against him since he likes to post players up.

This should be a "Race game", we didn't have him to defend Pickett last time. Hope Race comes ready to play today. 

• Like 2

Would love to see Penn State gas out, we get up about 20 and are able to sit JHS and TJD for long stretches in the 2nd half.  If we see  Gunn, Geronimo, Banks, etc. then it was likely a good day.

(Not holding my breath, but nice to dream.)

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I wonder who we’ll have on Pickett. I think last game we had Galloway, at least to start. But I wonder if Race might do well against him since he likes to post players up.

I think it'll be Kopp...

Pickett isn't a super athlete, and when he posts up, he uses a lot of shot fakes and footwork to get baskets... Miller doesn't fall for those...

I think Race takes Lundy, Trey-Funk, and JHS on Wynter... 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I think it'll be Kopp...

Pickett isn't a super athlete, and when he posts up, he uses a lot of shot fakes and footwork to get baskets... Miller doesn't fall for those...

I think Race takes Lundy, Trey-Funk, and JHS on Wynter... 

I agree.  But... we might be switching a fair amount 1-4, anyways. 

When Tamar and MR are on the court... PSU will screen/run action until they get a matchup they like against Bates/MR. Those two will have to bring it again, defensively. 

On the other end... I thought we cut well last night, continue that.. PSU has little rim protection and we need to exploit that. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rico said:

Will Jordan play today?

If he does, he'd better show up with more than he did last night...

He looked absolutely lost... His confidence doesn't seem to be there at all...

Coach Woodson has given him a lot of chances to succeed, but there are a lot of times you have to wonder where in the world he's at mentally 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If he does, he'd better show up with more than he did last night...

He looked absolutely lost... His confidence doesn't seem to be there at all...

Coach Woodson has given him a lot of chances to succeed, but there are a lot of times you have to wonder where in the world he's at mentally 

Nothing against Jordan he works his butt off, but I think he’s missing a few basketball nerve synapses between the ears. Not sure there’s a cure for that?

33 minutes ago, rico said:

Will Jordan play today?

I don't remember this moment exactly; will have to go back and watch. Easy to pick one frame and make global statements. This could be something brewing negatively, or simply a well-timed shot that doesn't have full context.

Good thing is we'll know by later today how everything is going. Not a lot of time to stew and speculate.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I don't remember this moment exactly; will have to go back and watch. Easy to pick one frame and make global statements. This could be something brewing negatively, or simply a well-timed shot that doesn't have full context.

Good thing is we'll know by later today how everything is going. Not a lot of time to stew and speculate.

If he's mad at himself, that's one thing...

If he's mad because Woody took him out, that's another... 

• Like 3