Honest thoughts on CMW

How many of you guys think he’s only here for a very short time, or a so called placeholder until the right person is ready to make the leap to IU? 

He's .525 in B1G in 2 years and 1-2 in NCAA. He's 65.
May had 4 straight winning seasons at a historically moribund program w/ limited budgets, abysmal facilities, and a focus on FB. In year 5, he took that previously moribund program to the F4 and to an eyelash of a place that IU has been to 1x since Knight's prime. May is an alum AND an IN native. He's signing a new FAU contract and getting improved facilities, but I can't imagine him not jumping if his alma mater called. 

Edited by Milosh68
  • Like 2

I would think coach has a couple years left at least. And we’re playing better. See what this season holds. May has a lot of his FAU team back next year. They make another run ( make tourney win a game or two) he will be offered somewhere else if he isn’t this year. Probably won’t be a top 15 gig but a mid power 5 team (although we fall into that right now if I’m being honest non historically speaking). I think when the time comes we will have those talks to gauge interest if it’s still a thing.

I love his demeanor on the sidelines and watching them switch on the perimeter was  a thing of beauty. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Milosh68 said:

How many of you guys think he’s only here for a very short time, or a so called placeholder until the right person is ready to make the leap to IU? 

May had 4 straight winning seasons at a historically moribund program w/ limited budgets, abysmal facilities, and a focus on FB. In year 5, he took that previously moribund program to the F4 and to an eyelash of a place that IU has been to 1x since Knight's prime. May is an alum AND an IN native. He's signing a new FAU contract and getting improved facilities, but I can't imagine him not jumping if his alma mater called. 

Why start threads like this because it only leads to splits in the fan base. I think Woodson has done a fine job and he is getting us going onto the right direction. Remember that Archie had a good career at Dayton and led them to an elite 8 but that didn't translate to winning at IU.

• Like 7

Woodson will be around for a at least 5 years and probably longer as long as he wins. May has done a great job. No guarantees he can succeed long term at a p5 school. Every get excited when a small team makes a run and the coach becomes the next great shiny thing. Event Hubert Davis made a run. Kevin Ollie did it. Woodson looks to building a program. Let him do it without try  if t  ok find a replacement. If he does his job when he is ready to retire we will a lot of guys wanting the job

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why start threads like this because it only leads to splits in the fan base.

Agree.  Why is this a thread at all?  It could be a post in the MW thread we already have.

That aside, for someone to imply we should show Coach Woodson the door, in order to chase this year's shiny new object, is beyond silly. 

The "he's .525% in the BIG" totally discounts just how terrible Archie Miller was (who himself was once a shiny new object).

Can you imagine starting all over with the '24 and '25 recruits?  

Nope, nope, nope. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Milosh68 said:

I think this is the ultimate hot take.  As others have said, Kevin Ollie and Hubert Davis both made runs like May did.  Let's see how he does the next couple of years.

...and as long as Woody continues to recruit and improve as he has, he'll be at IU if he wants to be at IU.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess this thread is better than one going on at BTB. There is a guy over there arguing with BGleas that Indiana high school coaches run more sophisticated offense than NBA does. It started about our offense under Woodson how antiquated it is.

It's absolutely unreal 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess this thread is better than one going on at BTB. There is a guy over there arguing with BGleas that Indiana high school coaches run more sophisticated offense than NBA does. It started about our offense under Woodson how antiquated it is.

Unfortunately, every fanbase has their embarrassments.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I wouldn't make that argument but I do think that the game is more "dumbed down" offensively than it was in the past.  There doesn't seem to be as much variety anymore.

(I mean in general, not for IU.)

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I wouldn't make that argument but I do think that the game is more "dumbed down" offensively than it was in the past.  There doesn't seem to be as much variety anymore.

(I mean in general, not for IU.)

I agree and it is because of the 30 second shot clock. You don't have time to run different stuff.

• Like 1

Next year will be the first time in a while that IU doesn’t have a big man primary offense since pre-Archie.  Archie had Morgan and then TJD.  Archie also had zero guards, less Romeo, who played with a broken thumb.  

This sounds odd, but given what Archie did at Dayton and getting to the tourney one year with no guys over 6’6”, I don’t think TJD was the type of player he was going for.  However, being at Indiana, he had to recruit him.  If TJD were from Minnesota or something, I think it may have been different.   Archie obviously struggled at IU, but he leaned on Morgan and TJD and no guards developed under him (Devonte was hot and cold). 

Woodson got here and rode TJD the best he could.  TJD was all but gone last year too. 

Next year and going forward, I’m sure we’ll see a much much more modern offense and Woodson will be as good as any for that IMO.  

Edited by Bustout
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Milosh68 said:

He's actually 2-2 in the NCAAT. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Milosh68 said:

17-16 (8-10), 17-15 (8-10), 13-10 (7-5), 19-15 (11-7) were his first four years.  They were 35-4 (18-2) this year and made the Final Four...which was a great year.  The first four years would have had people like you (and me to be honest) asking for a new coach.  You are just buying into the flavor of the moment fallacy right now.  Let's see what happens the next few years.  If Dusty continues to improve he may be the guy to step in down the road and take over whenever Woodson leaves.  He should have the dominant team in his conference now, so let's see how he maintains his program.

• Like 1