Transfers with IU Interest

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

IU usually lands recruits early in the process.  The longer it goes with someone we target, the less likely it seems that we land them.  Romeo was an exception, but i firmly believe the issues at UL made that possible.

Be interested in hearing opinions or theories on why it is that we lose out more often than not when there is a long courtship.

Or, is my observation off base?

Your assessment seems spot on to me.  I can't explain why it seems to happen so often though.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

IU usually lands recruits early in the process.  The longer it goes with someone we target, the less likely it seems that we land them.  Romeo was an exception, but i firmly believe the issues at UL made that possible.

Be interested in hearing opinions or theories on why it is that we lose out more often than not when there is a long courtship.

I would say the observation is off base. 

We've had several others whose recruitments went down to the wire or at least through the recruit taking several visits. Zeller, TJD, Thomas Bryant, Galloway and Leal took some time, Robert Johnson, James Blackmon Jr, and I'm sure there many more. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The people following the recruits on social media are not the same people providing the NIL money.

That is not true. NIL from collectives sure. But if you have over 10k followers and an athlete it is pretty easy to get a sponsorship deal. The more you have the more those pay per post. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WRSMick55 said:

Has anyone considered that Ledlum has one year left to play and just decided that although he might have liked the IU environment better the odds were better of winning  more next tear at UT than at IU and winning and making tournament was important for to him in his last go around?

Or maybe he “fell in love with a stripper” - girl at the bar and they talked every day since he left. I mean, we are talking young college guys. 

it is funny because we may all be over thinking it, blaming coaches, big ten style, etc and may be something really freaking simple. I have seen some decide over the craziest things 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I haven't said a word about Caleb Love or Jamison Battle or Dalton Knecht or Nick Timberlake or any of the other guys IU reached out too, because in reality I KNOW you aren't going to land every single recruit.

But when you identify and make someone a priority like the IU staff had done with Ledlum, you need to land him. Period. 

If you want to keep shrugging off every single recruiting target that chooses elsewhere, more power to you, you do you, but don't act surprised when IU struggles next year because the players that the staff had identified and honed in on are playing elsewhere. 

But other teams make players a priority too. It sounds like he was their top priority as well. 50/50 and someone had to lose.
Did you know that the Tenn. assistant flew directly to his house after the Tenn sweet 16 loss before going home? I am sure that made a huge impression. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

It's the staff's job to make these relationships work.

Seriously? So what the players want from the situation has no weight? Or the staff should make up @#$% to get them to come?

IU is far from a top destination for players as much as we (the fans) may think differently. Even the schools that are currently top destinations, don't get every recruit they want (or "make top priority").

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Yeap, that’s what I said Scott. 😂Expectations and reality are two separate things. I expect to give everything we have to win every game we play but given the circumstances in any situation that are present I understand that isn’t going to happen. But those circumstances determine if I’m good with it or not. This year was a good year, but I expect Woody was shooting for more and is shooting for more in the future, ant least I hope he is.  Expectations are present. Enjoying the journey is something I’ll look back at. I’m not built to just be okay with anything less than perfection. But I’m mature enough and old enough to understand that perfection isn’t going to happen and there’s a journey that can be appreciated in most cases. 

I am not content where we are at this moment but I think over the years I have gained some patience.  Like everyone I want to see another championship in my lifetime but if it doesn't happen it won't ruin my life.  Couldn't say this 20 years ago but I might have mellowed in my 50's

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I could be way off here, but this is one theory:

When IU recruits, it sells itself (for good or bad) on its history, passion, fanbase (yes, @IU Scott lol), facilities, et al. The focus is directed inward, highlighting the many, many positives of wearing the Cream & Crimson.

When recruits go elsewhere, other programs will recruit by attacking our flaws (or spinning our positives into negatives), possibly as a deflection of what they can provide. There are seeds of doubt planted and that possibly takes a little more effort by the IU staff to overcome (which, to be fair, they have done).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

How about TJD, Leal, Galloway not sure how long those recruitments lasted 

5 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

Seriously? So what the players want from the situation has no weight? Or the staff should make up @#$% to get them to come?

IU is far from a top destination for players as much as we (the fans) may think differently. Even the schools that are currently top destinations, don't get every recruit they want (or "make top priority").

Might have to kid nap the recruits and brain wash them to commit 

29 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We've had several others whose recruitments went down to the wire or at least through the recruit taking several visits. Zeller, TJD, Thomas Bryant, Galloway and Leal took some time, Robert Johnson, James Blackmon Jr, and I'm sure there many more. 

Can't speak for 5F but, it seems more common with higher ranked out of state recruits.  I assume we have a baked-in advantage on Indiana kids (or should).  Of course the competition for elite players is always going to be stiffer and our percent of success will be lower.  It's one of Archies failures that he didn't bring in much talent from beyond the state line - Dawson Garcia was the epitome of that lack of success.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Terrible at what exactly? If you don’t admit the torches come out every time  one thing doesn’t go our way…

I’d say Woodson has at least gotten IU pointed in the right direction, which at the minimum should be making the tourney. 

Should we introduce the uninformed to the first Penn State game thread? 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

Shouldn't have to do that. If you can't sell IU to basketball recruits you might need to find another job. 

Which IU are you selling the one from 1975 -1994 or the one of the last 25 years. There probably 20 programs that have the same qualities to sell if not more than IU

30 minutes ago, BGleas said:

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How about TJD, Leal, Galloway not sure how long those recruitments lasted 

Galloway committed in July before his Senior year.  I would not consider that to be 'late' by any means.

Leal as well.  Anyone that commits before their Senior season in high school kicks off is not late.

TJD committed in late November, so right on that borderline of the start of the high school season.  

Zeller was an edge if the seat commitment, so I'll accept that.

I need to look up the timing for guys like Bryant and Johnson, though I do recall Bryant having a Final 2 out there for a while.

Blackmon is a case study all his own and should not be used for validation one way or the other.